Author Topic: Mary Sinnott b Abt 1838 Kilkenny, Ireland  (Read 7593 times)

Offline Couper

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Mary Sinnott b Abt 1838 Kilkenny, Ireland
« on: Saturday 17 September 05 11:36 BST (UK) »
Searching for information on my 2nd Great Grandmother, Mary Sinnott born Abt 1838, Kilkenny, Ireland.  Came to Australia and married in Abt 1858 to Martin Leahey born 1834, Kilkenny, Ireland.  Any information would be appreciated.

Offline rbs30

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Sinnott b Abt 1838 Kilkenny, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 September 05 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My family, The Synnotts (Sinnotts) came from Kilkenny near Inistioge. I have a great deal of information on the Sinnotts. Do you have any information on Mary's parents names? Also, you can check with the Rothe House in Kilkenny City and they will research information on Mary for you. Her birth certificate should be available.

Maybe we are relatives. If I can be of any help then please let me know.
My email address is (*)
Thanks,
Richard Sennett
New York, NY USA

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the PM system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 April 08 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Couper,

There are three items required when searching for Irish ancestors.

1. Denomination.
2. Parish.
3. Townland.

You'll have to rely on Church records as Mary was born before Civil Registration was introduced in Ireland. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

It looks to me as though the Sinnitts had itchy feet and suffered from travel lust. Have a look at the Killybegs thread on the Donegal board There was a Sinnott family from Wexford who settled in Killybegs prior to moving to America although I think a member of that family moved to Australia, returned to Ireland and then emigrated to America. I learnt about this person on the Genforum Sinnott board.

Christopher

Offline valmai3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 December 12 06:29 GMT (UK) »
I may be of some help.  Mary Sinnott from Kilkenny was my great grandmother but trying to find information in Ireland is very difficult.  I do know that Mary Sinnott, eldest daughter of Johanna (or Judith) Ronan and Patrick Sinnott of Windgap Kilkenny married Martin Leahey eldest son of Martin Leahey and Mary Dolan of Johnswell Kilkenny at Butt's Chapel, Parish of St. Canice, Kilkenny Ireland on 10 August, 1857.  Their Golden Wedding Celebration was announced in the Sydney Morning Herald fifty years later. On the 7th April, 1859, Martin, his wife Mary, and baby Mary 6 mnths. arrived in Sydney Australia from Ireland on the ship 'Nimroud' (migration details are available).  Martin became a tailor and together they had ten children. Mary died in 1910 and Martin died in 1911. They are both buried in the Roman Catholic section of Woollahra Cemetery, Sydney.

I am finding it very difficult to trace Mary Sinnott's tree in Ireland because she had a sister (cousin?) Catherine (she migrated a few years later) who lists her mother's name as Judith Ronan and father's name as Patrick Sinnott, while Mary lists her mother's name as Johanna (?) and father's name as Patrick Sinnott.  Both sisters say their father was a clerk. If you have any information that can throw light on this, you might like to Email me on *.  I could send you some material.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to protect against spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline rwosgood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 April 15 23:16 BST (UK) »
The names Johanna and Judith are interchangeable and were variations of the Gaelic name Sioban.  There were two Judith Ronan's born in 1809 to whom I believe are brothers.  Kieran Ronan and Catherine Murphy had a daughter, Judith, bap. 28 May 1809, St. John's Parish, sponsors, Dominic Croak and Catherine Ronan. John Ronan and Anstice Croak had a daughter Judith, bap. 10 Sep 1809, St. John's Parish, sponsors, Dominic Croak and Catherine Ronan m. Michael Barret 27 Feb 1843, St. John's Parish.  I believe that Judith, daughter of Kieran Ronan and Catherine Murphy is the Judith Ronan who married Patrick Sinnott.

Anstice Croak is my 2nd great grand aunt and Dominic Croak is my 2nd great grand uncle and married Mary Ronan 3 Jun 1810, St. John's Parish.  I believe that Mary Ronan is the sister of Kieran and John Ronan, their parents unknown. Anstice/Anastatia Croak, daughter of Dominic Croak and Mary Ronan, emigrated to Australia m John Robert King. They emigrated to the US and lived in California.

The baptism record for Mary Sinnott shows a Michael Croak as a sponsor. This may be the Michael Croak, son of Dominic Croak and Mary Ronan, b 1812 and 1st cousin to Mary Sinnott.

There may be other members of the Croak and Ronan families that emigrated to Australia.  My great grandmother Ellen Croak Dunn emigrated to the US in 1849.  The realtionship between the Croak and Ronan families is a a work in progress.

Offline debsmith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 July 15 04:49 BST (UK) »
My husband's great grandmother was Catherine Agnes Sinnott, daughter of Judith (nee Ronan)and Patrick. She was born in 1841. Her baptism is recorded at St John's Church, Kilkenny on 23rd August 1841. Catherine came to NSW in 1864, sponsored by her sister Mary and brother in law Martin Leahy. She is described as a 22 year old domestic servant who could both read and write. Her parents were listed as Patrick and Judith Sinnott, both dead. The ship she travelled on was the Wanata.

In Sydney Catherine's brother in law was a tailor, living first in Balmain (on Catherine's shipping record) then Paddington and George St, Brickfield Hill the area between Town Hall and Central).

In 1869 Catherine married John Patrick Kelly (b. 1839 in Limerick). He worked as a tailor, more than likely for Martin Leahy. Catherine and John Kelly had 6 children. John died in 1907, Catherine in 1917. Their headstone at Sydney's Waverly Cemetery reads: John Kelly of Limerick, Ireland. Erected by Wife and Family. Catherine Kelly wife of above.

This morning I searched the Kilkenny Parish Register for St John's. The records they have online only start at Feb. 1842, but I have found two male children born to Patrick and Judith Sinnott. They are Luke, baptised 10 May 1843 (Pat Sinnot and Judy Ronayan) from what looks like Lyater Rath and Kyran, baptised 4 April 1845 (Pat Sinnot and Judy Ronan) from Dublin Road.

Your inclination to accept Judith's father as Kieran Ronan might be on the money. Thus Luke could have been named for Patrick's father Luke and Kyran for Judith's father.

I didn't think to write down the names of the boys' sponsors but now I understand from your post that they might be relatives or neighbours so I will go back and look at that again.

Both Patrick and Judith were dead by 1859 when Mary and Martin Leahy travelled to Australia, can you throw any light on their deaths?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 July 15 08:55 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.