Author Topic: Link - PUBS AND LICENSED VICTUALLERS  (Read 13289 times)

skippy

Link - PUBS AND LICENSED VICTUALLERS
« on: Saturday 14 August 04 03:23 BST (UK) »
I've seen a few recent requests related to Landlords & Pubs. This is one of my
areas of research and I came across this site which may be of some interest:

http://www.sfowler.force9.co.uk/page_14.htm

http://www.sfowler.force9.co.uk/page_27.htm

Just as a matter of note, Local Councils hold thousands of photos of streets,
roads, buildings, monuments, houses etc usually dating back to 1890's so,
if you want a photo of your ancestors home or lodgings then its always worth
asking if they have one in the archives. If they have then they can usually supply
a copy for a minimal fee.

SKIPPY

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
Re: Link - PUBS AND LICENSED VICTUALLERS
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 August 04 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Skippy :D

thanks for the tip about old photographs of houses etc.

I have just emailed Tameside Council hoping to get a photo of High St., Stalybridge circa 1890-1900.

The house where my grandmother was born no longer exists - but you never know your luck.

Incidently, 116 High St. was supposed to be a pub. I have the family on the 1891 census and 116 is a 'beer house'

Wouldn't it be great if I turned up a photo of a pub thanks to you! ;D

Aaron
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 September 04 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hello again Skippy,

I didn't get a photo of the pub but I did find out that the beer house on the 1891 census was called 'The Cheshire Cheese' and this in turn became a pub "The Mountain Lion". After that the pub closed and then opened again as a club. It's all gone since 1967 but I was able to get a photo of the street circa 1890 which is almost as good.

They are also posting me copies of the beer house and pub records.

Thanks a lot for your post - I would never have got the information without your tip.
Cheers
Aaron
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 September 04 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Aaron,

I've got a few ancestors and rellies who ran pubs and beer houses and I've not really investigated this much yet.

When you get them I'd be interested to know what sort of information is contained in the 'beer house and pub records' that the council are posting to you.

Sasha.  :)

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 September 04 11:49 BST (UK) »

Not a problem sasha ;D

I was actually very lucky. I was just asking for old photographs of the area and just mentioned that 116 Hight St. Stalybridge was a beer house on the 1891 census and that I believed it had become a pub.

The research assistant sent me some info on the photos and then I got a second email saying that she had got "fed up with what she was doing and decided to do something else" Then she proceeded to give me the names etc. of the beer house and pub. She asked if I wanted a copy of the information and I said " Yes, please" ;D

It's worth it to me just to find out the names. We had a family story that my grandmother was born in a pub in Stalybridge - looks like I have just proved it's true :D

Here endeth the epistle......

Cheers
Aaron
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland

skippy

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 September 04 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Aaron,

Sorry for the delay in replying, have been away.

Glad you got info from Tameside which was worthwhile and proves some of your family history..

I've found the archives dept of (most GOV) local councils very helpful particularily if researching from afar so long as you give them some hard facts ... and its surprising what info, advice and hard copy they can offer and come up with dependant upon a simple question, so its always worthwhile asking.

Thanks for letting me know of your pretty good result
(and thanks for your prior email letting me know of your first response for info from Tameside followed on from one of my postings).--sorry didn't reply
but have been away.

Anyway, good luck with your further research...Glad you solved Grandmothers birth location, and that my post was able to help you somewhat and many thanks for your thanks.

CHEERS

SKIPPY

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 September 04 00:15 BST (UK) »

Hi Skippy,

thanks for your reply. The staff at Tameside were so helpful I couldn't believe it! All the info is on the way including old maps of the area and all for the princely sum of 2 pounds fifteen pence - including airmail postage to Oz.

I am so glad I found your post suggesting looking for old photos etc - I got so much more information than I expected.

Cheers
Aaron
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland

skippy

« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 September 04 01:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Be interesting to know exactly what you receive.

Maybe we should start new a topic :
Best response from Uk local gov and grade according to response

SKIPPY

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 September 04 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Be interesting to know exactly what you receive.

Maybe we should start new a topic :
Best response from Uk local gov and grade according to response

SKIPPY

Hi Skippy,

We started to do just that in beginners for Local Records Offices:

http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6625.0

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.