Author Topic: Royal Engineers - Yachtsman?  (Read 848 times)

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Royal Engineers - Yachtsman?
« on: Monday 26 September 05 22:45 BST (UK) »
I have a census entry for a relative who was in the Royal Engineers, based in Chatham.  He is listed as what looks like "Yachtsman" on the original census form.  Is this possible?  What would a yachtsman do in the Royal Engineers or is it my misreading of some other trade entirely?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Honeybun
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Engineers - Yachtsman?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 September 05 22:57 BST (UK) »
Please give the census reference so that we can look at the actual entry. 8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 12:06 BST (UK) »
honeybun,i have seen some great occupations on the census,one was listed as a seamstress,no problem there,BUT his name was bert ;D mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 15:44 BST (UK) »
You got an odd one there mack!

Hackstaple,

I have looked up the details and hope this is what you need.
Registration District:  Medway
Sub registration District: Gillingham
RG12/659
Folio 49
Page 12
ED 3

W. Woolton
Ann Woolton
Ernest Woolton
Jas. Ennen

Ennen was a visitor that night, also he was in the R.E. and listed as having the same occupation as William.

William Woolton was in 1881 the master of a local barge on the River Medway and in 1901 he was still living in Gillingham and listed as a "Civilian Coxwain" and whatlooks like the initials S.M.L. or I after it.  The enumerator has written over the top "Seas".

Maybe you can make some sense out of it!

Honeybun

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 17:49 BST (UK) »
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 20:19 BST (UK) »
This appears to solve the mystery of the description Hack, as it is definitely "yachtsman" on the Census.  I don't think he was ever in the Army but as a professional master bargeman, maybe he was employed by the REYC for his expertise especially as his home ground was the Medway.  More or less all the men in the Woolton family were employed on the river in th 1800's and early 1900's.

Anyway, thanks for the information as it does explain a mystery for me!

Honeybun

Offline r973g

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my profile yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Hunnybun,
I assume you are talking about WW1 as I too have a relative in the R.E that was in the Inland Water Transport. All I know of it is the fact that he got the DSM for whatever he did.
I don't know what they were termed but I do know that some also manned boats on coastal defence.
Ray
Greenaway
Greenway
Griggs-Essex & Kent
March-E. Anglia
Morley-Norfolk & Suffolk