Author Topic: Ballyguin/Turlough/Castlebar/Mohina?  (Read 25107 times)

Offline kwizb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballyguin/Turlough/Castlebar/Mohina?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi mazbonks, thanks for confirming the Acton point.  Family trees can be a minefield of misinformation! Can only assume it was a bad transcription of handwriting.

I don't suppose you have any further information on the Acton family before your GGparent, James?

Thanks,
kwizB

Offline Indigogirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Ballyguin/Turlough/Castlebar/Mohina?
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I wondered if anyone is still active on Rootschat in this quite old thread?

I have oral history in my family that my 3/4ggrandparent is alleged to have eloped and either he or she was one of the "Becketts of Mohinna" . The reason for the elopement was allegedly a religious /social difference. There was a "coachman" involved somewhere too in this tale of intrigue
They ran as far as England where the descendants of this story declared themselves as RC

This is the first time I have seen a link to Moyhenna and the Beckett family. From reading this thread the Becketts were Church of Ireland so that would make sense?

In my ancestry I have a Christiana Becket of independent means lodging with Patrick and Mary Lawless (Nee McGan) in 1841 in Sheffield all born Ireland. Christiana was born 1786-91

Does this ring and bells with anyone ? Please do get in touch if you have any tiny clues as it could be the missing piece

Thanks

Edwards, Williams, Griffiths, Gittins in Denbighshire, Merionethshire
Edwards, Price/Peirce in Monmouthshire.
Kosh in London and Newcastle.
Turnbull, Elder, Forster in Newcastle
Smart, Raycord/Record in Rowley Regis,Staffs
Edwards in Pontefract, Castleford, Matlock
Frith, Gregory in Matlock
Wadsworth, Shephard in Brotherton
Fagan, Lawless in Sheffield