Author Topic: Hudson/Aitken/Jukes/Reynolds  (Read 5056 times)

Offline sharleen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hudson/Aitken/Jukes/Reynolds
« on: Tuesday 04 October 05 03:34 BST (UK) »
Goodday all

I am researching the Hudson/Aitken/Jukes/Reynolds family names living in Durban.

My grandmother Janet Cairns Aitken traveled from Australia to South Africa with her mother Annie (Aitken - first marriage) Reynolds her stepfather Edward Emanuel Reynolds, her sister Christina Aitken, her brother Thomas George Aitken, and two half brothers Frederick John Reynolds & Edward Emanuel Reynolds,  in the late 1800's early 1900s.  Christina married Alfred Juckes - 1910, Thomas married Eleanor Thompson (no children) - 1920.  I am not sure on who married who in the Reynolds family.  My grandmother married Frederick William Hudson also Australian born - 1914

If anyone is interested in this particular family I would appreciate you contacting me.

Secondly I am trying to trace the date of the death of my fathers sister.  Her name was Doreen Janet Hudson, born 3 April 1925, and died shortly after her birth.  Her father was Frederick William Hudson, mother Janet Cairns Aitken.  They were living in the area known as South Coast Junction.

If anyone can help me establish her date of death I would appreciate it.

Congrats at getting the SA site up and running, that is really great news since I left a lot of my research until after I left SA.

Have a great evening

Sharleen

Brough, Dewar, Aitken, Cairns, Hudson - Scotland-Australia/South Africa
Gatenby, Spink, Nolan - Yorkshire/South Africa
Lane - Manchester/South Africa
Moore - London/South Africa
Stuart, Collins- Scotland/South Africa
Masson, De St Pern - France/Mauritius/South Africa

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hudson/Aitken/Jukes/Reynolds
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 05:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharleen,
Welcome to the site! I live in Durban and my parents were friendly with a Juckes family in Escombe - their children are still around the area. Have you looked at the national archives site? There are a few references to frederick John - i need to go to school now so will check things out later.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi: there are two references to HUDSON estate files in Natal:

MSCE  00  71/1945  HUDSON, FREDERICK WILLIAM. S/SP HUDSON, JANET CAIRNS 4056/72.  1944 1945
MSCE   4056/1972  HUDSON, JANET CAIRNS. BORN IN MACKAY, AUSTRALIA. PR/SP FREDERICK  1972 1973
Their daughter who died in infancy would obviously not come up on the online index (only adults had estates); there may be some reference to her date of death in parents' estate files but no guarantee.  Otherwise it means a search of civil death registers, which without precise date of death would take time, and it may not have been registered at all. 

Re ships from Australia via Durban to Scotland:  at the SA end there are few records of arrivals from Australia in late 19th/early 20th c, due to factors such as increase in volume of shipping, inconsistent record-keeping, newspaper shipping columns became less detailed as they couldn't keep up the pace. 

Some general musings though not specific to this query: many shipping lines were associated with Australia:  the Aberdeen Line gradually substituted steam for sail, and by 1894 they had 5 steamers maintaining a monthly service between England and Australia. Hitherto the vessels had taken the Cape route outward returning via Suez, but in 1895 the Cape route was adopted both out and home.  Other lines : the Blue Anchor Line whose first steamer the Delcomyn made maiden voyage to Australia in 1880, taking the Cape route - during 80s and 90s most of these Blue Anchor steamers called at Table Bay though not a regular service.  By 1896 they began to cater more for passengers and there was a regular monthly service between England and Australia via the Cape - a first class passage cost 26 pounds 15 shillings.  It was the loss of the Waratah in 1908 which was the death-blow of the Blue Anchor Line and it was acquired by the Peninsular and Oriental Company (P & O) - their vessels were adapted for conveyance of 3rd class passengers only - emigration to Australia was reaching its peak at this time.  During WWI a couple of the vessels were lost, but the pre-War service was resumed later and there was a post-War rush to Australia.  The 9 P & O liners maintained a fortnightly service to and from Australia and their visits to Table Bay were a regular feature of the port; cheap passages between the Cape and England made them very popular with South Africans who didn't want to pay for luxuries provided by more fashionable lines.
The Blue Funnel Line (Holt and Co) had associations with SA back to the 1860s when their swift China steamers often put in at Table Bay on their voyages to and from the East. In 1870 the Blue Funnel Line abandoned the Cape route and used Suez instead; in 1910 a passenger service (six-weekly) was provided to Australia via the Cape (and back) carrying 1st class passengers only; by 1913 two larger ships, Nestor and Ulysses, were added to the fleet and the service became a monthly one.  The Nestor was the largest vessel visiting Table Bay and Durban and also Australian ports.  Again, the War resulted in dislocation of the service but the five passenger liners fortunately escaped disaster during the War and in 1920 the monthly service via the Cape recommenced. 1925 was the start of period of great depression in Australia and the Blue Funnel Line and many others were forced to cut down their sailings to Australia.

I realise this is general background information but it does give some idea of the volume of shipping and consequently the magnitude of the task when trying to find an individual passenger arrival in SA (from anyWHERE!) at the turn of the century.

Regards,  Mole

All South Africa but especially Natal colonial era.<br />GADSDEN and variants worldwide, any date, any place; large database.<br />Medieval GADDESDEN and GATESDEN<br />HAMILTON (Ayrshire)<br />BELL (Cumberland - Solway Firth area)

Offline sharleen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth

I am Durban born myself living in the USA now in Hurricane city.  For some reason as kids the families did not mix and I only really made the effort to start looking at gathering names a year or so before I left and at that time I was looking at living relatives mainly on my mom's side.  Once I got here a friend got me hooked on history.

I have made one contact with the Jukes family and that is Nigel living in Kloof but I would love to contact any other relatives as well.  The Jukes sound like the Hudsons, we all know we exist but do not keep in touch on a regular basis. 

Since I am trying to put all of this into a family document I would really like to have it as accurate as possible. 

I have managed to find out so much about my grandmothers side of the family:  Brough/Dewar/Cairns/Aitken but would like to tie up the living with the dead and try to keep track of all the additions.   The Brough family dates back to the early 1600's.  Annie Young Dewar married Thomas Cairns.  When he died she remarried Edward Emmanuel Reynolds, and they had about 5 children, some of whom are living in Kloof as well.

I never met Thomas Aitken.  I only once met Christina Aitken.  I met some of the Jukes and Reynolds family members at my fathers funeral.  The family resemblence between the Jukes and the Hudsons was uncanning. 

If you are able to put me in touch with any family members I would appreciate it.

Thank you and have a great day.
Sharleen

Offline sharleen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Mole

Thanks for your reply.  As I mentioned in my previous mail, my difficulty is trying to establish the identity of my grandfather and quite honestly I am beginning to think he may have changed his name.

While I can pick up a Frederick William Hudson born in Sydney around the correct time frame the names of the siblings do not correlate with the names my mother has given me.  While it is completely possible that she may be wrong, it is difficult to say yes or no and I do not want to grab onto a family because they are the only ones I can find.

He traveled to SA for some reason and there he met and married my grandmother on September 3, 1913 in Durban.  The witnesses however are on my grandmothers side of the family so that does not give me insight into any relatives.

The only other evidence I have for him was that he was issued 3 war medals:
They are the following:
1914 -1914 Star to Private F.W. Hudson
Victory Medal to Clr Sjt F.W. Hudson
British War Medal to S/Sjt F.W. Hudson

He was listed as a commerical traveler and my mother said he was away from home quite a lot.

They lived a 6 Forrest Road, Rossburgh, Durban, however I know that the house no longer exists.  Memory has it that it was a corner plot.

He was buried at Stellawood Cemetery in a double family plot, along with my grandmother and uncle.

I do remember him have a "brother"  Leonard who married a Hazel Lawrence and they lived near the Ice Rink (in Durban) when we were children, but he died and she moved to Zimbabwe to be closer to her daughter.  Leonard may have been an adopted child.

Mom said there was a brother Jim (possibly James) and a sister Daisy and Beatrice but I have not been able to find any trace of them.

Other than that I have no other information on the family.

I have picked up the two references in the estates files but haven't got as far as requesting someone to look for them.

Given that the brief form I have received:  Pursuant to the Provisions contained in the Administration of Estates Act 1913, it lists both parents as deceased, I am not sure I will find his parents names in the will.

Thanks for your suggestions though, I appreciate all the help I can get on him.
Have a great day
Sharleen

Offline Mole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi: I would suggest that both estate files for HUDSON should be seen in their entirety - not just Death Notice, as other contents could provide clues. 

You mention WWI medals: some basic information about a soldier's service may be found in the WWI Medal Roll which gives a listing of all those who qualified for the 1914 Star, 1914/15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal and others.
The Roll is held at The National Archives Kew.

These two specific avenues - the estate files and the military career - seem to be the priorities in this case.

cheers, Mole

All South Africa but especially Natal colonial era.<br />GADSDEN and variants worldwide, any date, any place; large database.<br />Medieval GADDESDEN and GATESDEN<br />HAMILTON (Ayrshire)<br />BELL (Cumberland - Solway Firth area)

Offline sharleen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Mole

He is definitely listed in  the Kew Achieves.  As being a Private twice, a Lance Corporal once, and a Lieutenant once.  Three he was list as being in the Labor Corps and one in the Yorkshire regiment.    When I looked up the reference WO 372 it referred to the Boer War, so that was a possible reason for him leaving Australia to go to South Africa. 

Something interesting is that while writing this I went to check a record I previously found, did a search and came up with a report for an enlistment of Frederick William Hudson, Service Number 1376 - Date of birth 18 November 1893 - Place of Birth - Sydney NSW - Place of Enlistment - Melbourne - Next of Kin - Hudson Edward.

Now the name Edward may tie into the names I have as I am sure the brother Leonard, could have been Edward Leonard.

The years are a bit out but I seem to recall my uncles lying about their age to go to war as well.

Anyway I just wanted to let you know that I had found him in Kew.

Thanks
Sharleen