Author Topic: AISTROPE in GARTHORPE  (Read 6223 times)

Offline racey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
AISTROPE in GARTHORPE
« on: Thursday 19 August 04 10:35 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor called Alice Aistrope born in Garthorpe in 1808. I know she married Benjamin Snowden of Reedness. I wonder if anyone can help me find out who her parents were and possibly siblings.
Thankyou

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: AISTROPE in GARTHORPE
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 August 04 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You may already have seen this, but from the IGI there is the following baptism in Luddington (Garthorpe was formerly a hamlet of neighbouring Luddington), which might be your Alice Aistrope:

ALICE AISTROPE 
  Female
~~~~~~~~
Event(s):
 Birth: 
 Christening:  12 AUG 1808   Luddington, Lincoln, England

Death: 
 Burial: 
~~~~~~~~
Parents:
  Father:  THOMAS AISTROPE  Family
  Mother:  ANN     
~~~~~~~~
 Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date. 
~~~~~~~~
Source Information:
 Batch No.:  Dates:  Source Call No.:  Type:  Printout Call No.:  Type: 

C030031  1599 - 1813  0435998   Film  6907785   Film 
  Sheet: 00

Sasha.  :)

Offline Tuppenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 September 04 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Your Alice Aistrope and my great great grandmother Ann Aistrope were cousins. I research the Aistrope surname worldwide and have lots of info which will interest you. I'd also like to know about the descendants of the Aistrope/Snowden marriage.

Email me off list on tuppenny@btinternet.com for more details.

Best regards

Penny

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 November 04 19:08 GMT (UK) »
See your Snowden post for ref nos:

Found the following in the 1851 census index.

Haystrop Jane Wi M 20 Whitgift 7/8a 24

Only ref so must have been staying with relatives - no Aistrop but thought the above might be a family member.

Regards

criggy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching London: Crisp, Leahy, Lumley. Berks: Billington, Leahy, Newbury, Yorks: Naylor, Smith, Thackwray, Wilkinson, Lancs: Smith. Leics: Everitt, Marshall, Purcell, Lincs: Bullivant, Everitt, Johnson, Sargeant, Ward. Gloucs: Chard, Coopey, Cowley, Croome, May, Millman, Organ, Savage, Shearman. Ireland: Leahy (Killarny, Kilkenny, Kerry, Cork)

Offline Aistrop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have a Mary Ann Aistrop born Epworth 1835, daughter of John Aistrop and Mary? John appears to have died shortly after her birth as mother and Mary Ann with John Wilomot on susequent census(mother Mrs Wilomot). I have a John born 1811 in Garthorpe son of Thomas and Alice and a John also born Garthorpe 1812 son of George and Mary . Both would "fit", but does anyone have a definite connection. At the time of her marriage to George Hare in Scotter on Sept 23rd 1856, Mary Ann is a school mistress. She appears to die  some 5 children later around 1865 and the family appear to move to Broughton. On child Ellen, is my maternal Great grandmother. Ellen married James Dixon of Croxton.Any connection or information????

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aistrop and welcome to RootsChat! :)

Marriage for Mary AISTROP here http://tinyurl.com/y8msn7p

Marriages Sep 1840
AISTROP    Mary        Thorne    23   545    
WILLIMOT    John         Thorne    23   545

The marriage certificate would indicate if Mary had been previously married.  Presumably, you have the name "John" from Mary Ann's marriage certificate - it's not unknown for people to make up a name.  I can't find a burial for a John AISTROP around that time and place - of course Epworth was birthplace of the WESLEYs and Methodism was strong there, so John may not be in the C of E burial ground ... likewise, the marriage may have been Methodist, so more difficult to find.

I don't think there's anything to be gained by plucking any John AISTROP out of the IGI, especially the ones born after 1810 ... Mary Ann's mother seems to have been born back in the 1700s.

The National Burial Index has only one adult AISTROP buried at Epworth 1835-40 - a George on 23 July 1835 aged 27.

Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Tuppenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 January 10 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Definitely not the Garthorpe John Aistrops who were both grandsons of John Aistrop and Alice Marlin (my many times great grandparents). John son of Thomas Aistrop and Ann b 2 Jun 1811 married Ann Thompson 22 Feb 1835 at St Saviours, Southwark. John son of George Aistrop and Mary b 8 Apr 1812 remained a bachelor all his life; he died on 16 May 1851.
I'm not sure why it is thought that Mary Ann's father was John; her stepfather was certainly John Willimot but I think her father was probably George Aistrop as I explain below.
The IGI record of the widowed Mary Aistrop's marriage to John Willimot on 17 Aug 1840 at Epworth names Mary's father as John Rimmington. A Mary Rimmington married a George Aistrop (recorded as Haystrap in the IGI - this name is VERY flexible in its presentation as is Willimot) on 5 Dec 1826 at Hatfield near Doncaster. There is an Epworth connection as that is where George's parents William and Hannah were married in 1795 and Hannah was also a Rimmington. I would therefore surmise that Mary Ann Aistrop is a daughter of the marriage of George Aistrop and Mary Rimmington.
I hope that helps.

Offline Aistrop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 January 10 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the response. I also had Mary as a Rimmington before her marriage.
My reasoning behind Mary Ann's father being John Aistrop was that it is given as so on her Marriage certificate, when she married George Hare. It may have been that she thought of John Wilomet as her father but her occupation at time of marriage is given as schoolteacher and as such I would not think she made a mistake regarding her fathers name? Unless he was George known as John????

Offline ANN N LINCS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi this is for Aistrop I am a decendant of mary ann aistrop b 1835 her daughter Fanny was my Great Great Grandmother. I was wondering if as I think you have Mary Ann and George Hare 's marriage certificate if you could tell me the name of George's Father and also where in Scotter they married.
RASPIN     in   N LINCS
LONSDALE in  N LINCS