Author Topic: Help Needed Please  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Charlie B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help Needed Please
« on: Wednesday 12 October 05 06:27 BST (UK) »
 :'(   Can anyone help me PLEASE trace the Leach family from the old Meadows area of Nottingham.  In particular I need to find Grandfather Samuel Percy Leach b1888 or 1893I have posted a message on different page for help.
I do not know his birth place just that his father's name was John Leach occ Miller  Samuel's wife was Florence Mabel Ashford  she was born in London, and they married @ Loughborough they also had a large family but he is proving to be a nightmare as I have tried 1901 census army records (with a researcher ) no luck, I need to find his birth place to get started I am very new to family history & computers so please help if you can.
 :)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed Please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 07:18 BST (UK) »
Hi BJ

On what are you basing the year of birth? If it is from census information, it may well be between 1888 & 1893 as ages seem to vary with the weather on different census data.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Charlie B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 07:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Trish
The information came from his marriage in 1915 he was 22yrs old, that makes his b1893, and death cert he was 77yrs old in 1965, that makes his b1888, they differ by 5yrs.
I have nothing more to go on, and no alive to ask.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 07:58 BST (UK) »
hi again

I would think that means he was born any time around those dates. If a couple were of significantly different ages, the age at marriage was sometimes given incorrectly to place them closer together  :)  and the age at death is given by the informant who may not know. I noticed on another thread, someone found a Samuel Percy born in 1891 - this could be well worth following up (It may not be correct, of course, but is a possibility).

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk