Author Topic: PRIOR/PIPER families in Sudbury  (Read 8617 times)

Offline Pretoria

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PRIOR/PIPER families in Sudbury
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 16:27 GMT (UK) »
afternoon

have discovered from marriage records that John Piper was given as Sudbury All Saints.
I know he was a blacksmith so maybe a journeyman blacksmith??

I have discovered that Piper seems to be a very common name in Sudbury so not very helpful.
Any ideas how I might track him down as I seem to have now hit a wall!!

many thanks

Offline flexigel

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 August 10 07:48 BST (UK) »
My husbands ancestors the "PIPER's" came form Sudbury and the were both Silk Weavers.
Maria Wiffen married Stephen Piper 05 March 1838.
They had 4 children John, Henry, Robert and Maria.

Maria (Wiffen) Piper died 21 march 1857 and is buried at All Saints Church cemetery in Sudbury.

Stephen Pipers parents were John and Ann (Dread) Piper who were married 12 February 1797.
His parents were John and Mary (Griggs) Piper who were married 18 September 1756 at All Saint in Sudbury.

Stephen Piper and his children left Sudbury in Suffolk on the 05 November 1857 on the sailing ship the "Persian". He and his family resided at Latrobe on the NorthWest coast of Tasmania and took up farming. He died 10 December 1902 age 90 years. Stephen Piper was my husbands G. G. Grandfather.

Hi Wendy,

I've just started on my wife's family tree, her paternal great grandfather Robert Victor Piper migrated from Tasmania to West Australia starting a new branch of the clan. I'm working on a Piper website where photos and information can be displayed, you can check it out via

I hope you can help me fill in the blanks

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 August 10 09:58 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann Piper was my gggrandmother . She was the daughter of George Piper and Mary Ann Piper (nee Elven) who had married at All Saints Sudburynin1828. They had  George 1828,Alfred 1830,Mary Ann1833,Hannah1834,Eliza 1836,Charles1840,James1842,John1849,Maria 1847 and Harriett 1857.
Mary Ann Married Thomas CooperPrior in 1854 . She died of TB in 1861 having had 3 children. Her mother Mary was a silk weaver and died in 1881.I do have a lot more on the family which I may be able to get to you through your colourful website.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 August 10 13:35 BST (UK) »
Ringrose, we have been waiting for a by-pass in Sudbury for many years, I have lived in the area for 39 years and still waiting. 
The traffic does not get any better with the number of cars and lorries driving on roads never meant for such vehicles.

Have you had a look at
http://www.sudburysuffolk.co.uk/photoarchive/

this has some wonderful photographs of the area, particularly Ballingdon (All Saints covered this area of the town).

I do know the family who live in the old forge in Ballingdon Street - I am sure there is a photograph on the website - in case that connects with your journeyman blacksmith?

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Clemmie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: PIPER families in Sudbury
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Very new to Rootschat but have been reading your comments on the Sudbury, Long Melford, Pipers with great interest :)

I too have a line of Pipers from Sudbury - Long Melford.

JohnPiper c1800 (Long Melf) and Maria Whittle
Henry Piper c1819 (Long Melf) and Constance Hardy
Thomas Piper 19 Oct 1851(Long Melf) and Sarah Sore
Harry Piper 15 Oct 1878 (Long Melf) and Mary E Quinn (Enniscorthy C Wexford)
Barbara M Piper 1925 (Kent) and Richard S Meynell 1915 (Sunderland)

Kind regards Clemmie

Sunderland Durham, Kent - Mennell/ Mynell/Meynell Vaux Dowey Gibbons/Gibbins Dewart Haugh Calder/DNA match.
Updated 2024.  Many more names available
Long Melford Suffolk - Piper Sore Whittle Dread Bruning Durwin Howe Sansum Hardy
Enniscorthy County Wexford - Quinn Brien/Bryan Redmond Kavanagh Cullen Rourke Nowlan Byrne Power OBrien
County Down to Sunderland - marriage of Robert Dewart (born Ireland c1842) to Barbara Haugh 1869 in Sunderland, siblings Rebecca, William, Mary and more.

Offline Clemmie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: PIPER families in Sudbury
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Also, the Sore family will host a reunion in Long Melford for the second time in July this year.  If you are connected with my Piper/Sore family connection, please let me know and I will organise a chat about this.

Kind regards Clemmie
Sunderland Durham, Kent - Mennell/ Mynell/Meynell Vaux Dowey Gibbons/Gibbins Dewart Haugh Calder/DNA match.
Updated 2024.  Many more names available
Long Melford Suffolk - Piper Sore Whittle Dread Bruning Durwin Howe Sansum Hardy
Enniscorthy County Wexford - Quinn Brien/Bryan Redmond Kavanagh Cullen Rourke Nowlan Byrne Power OBrien
County Down to Sunderland - marriage of Robert Dewart (born Ireland c1842) to Barbara Haugh 1869 in Sunderland, siblings Rebecca, William, Mary and more.

Offline margaretbird46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 15:57 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in a Sarah Piper the daughter of Edward Piper who married a Josiah Packwood at St. Gregory's Church, Sudbury on 23 January, 1785.  I am hoping that this Piper family is connected to the Piper family that lived in Ridgewell Hall, Ridgewell Essex.  Would also like to know if they are connected to the Chaplin family.
Margaret

Offline pipera

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 04:25 BST (UK) »
Stephen Piper was born 1773 Pentlow Essex England I am trying to locate his parents, if anyone knows please let me know.

Ann Dread is the daughter of John Dread and Mary White she was born 1774.

M 17 Aug 1765 at Long Melford, John died 22 Apr 1795 at Long Melford, while Mary died 19 Jun 1787 at Long Melford Suffolk.

They had 6 children, Mary, Susan, Harry, Ann, John and Zachariah Dread. They were all born at Long Melford.

Susan married John Webb, 26 May 1795 Long Melford.

I have done aspects of the Wiffen line back to the early 1600's.

HTH!

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 10:41 BST (UK) »
Stephen Piper was born 1773 Pentlow Essex England I am trying to locate his parents, if anyone knows please let me know.

What evidence do you have that Stephen was born in Pentlow, I couldn't find a baptism for him there.

Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk