Author Topic: Yokker/Gagan (I must be thick!)  (Read 11265 times)

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Yokker/Gagan (I must be thick!)
« on: Monday 16 January 06 12:56 GMT (UK) »
I`m about ready to give up on this particular searc h.
I find the Canadian records very hard to follow, and the problems caused by not knowning which districts to pick out etc are nearly mking me go pop eyed.

I managed after a long search (and sore eyes) to find my gt aunt LAURA GAGAN on the 1901 census, she was now working for a family named Lally (as a domestic servant) previous to this from 1885 she had been with Mr & Mrs Hayes, then in 1891 with the widowed Mrs Hayes.

I have tried searching the 1911, but have had to give up, I find it too hard to understand, I tried searching every district one after the other, until I just had to stop, felt too weary to carry on.

Of course the trouble is that she could have married by 1911 and I`ll never find her until |I can find a marriage, but this is where I`m stuck, just cannot get my head round it to fill in the correct information.
Years ago I managed to find info on her sister Grace Gagan, but I think now that was sheer luck!
However, Laura must have survived and have been somewhere, my mother was having  correspondence with relatives in Canada until after WW2, and a cousin of hers Charles Herd/Heard, do`nt know how his name was spelled, I only heard it., did not see it in writing, came to visit us about 1948/9, I heard a few names mentioned (these stayed in my memory) but mother did not want us to know very much about our relatives (I now know why!) so correspondence was dropped after his visit, a few letters were received from a cousin (mine? I don`t know) her nme was Eleanor ?
I did not know her surname, mother addressed the envelopes and posted the letters, all I know was that they were living in Ontario.

My gt aunts had been sent there in 1885 from a workhouse in Stafford along with my grandfather, he left Canada in 1900 and went to Scotland.
Their surname had been changed from Geoghan to Gagan I was never told anything about the family. I would love now (before time runs out!) to contact any relatives who may still be there.

So, if anyone knows anything about Laura Gagan ( she was  25 year old in 1901) living in Hastings (East/Est  70) subdistrict Thurlow C-1 page 7 partial transcription.
If you are a descendant I would love to have contact, or if you have any information about the other names mentioned Charles & Eleanor, I would be "over the moon"
My mother`s name was Laura Maud Barr (nee Gagan) she was born in Ontario (1896) then from 1900 lived in Scotland.

Pleeese pleeese can anyone help??? :P
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grace, Stephen & Laura Gagan, gaghan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 January 06 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Haven't read your whole entry, but you need to use this site,  with a surname
database,  ( scroll )  I didn't get it a first either... and once you find the right person on the list...click on the name, it takes you to a basic data list in the same order as on the census.. Look at the entry number on the left
Then go back to the top, see either split screen or Large, med, small?
That's your link to the image... Go large and scroll, and if it looks like the right person, go medium and use the arrows, as there is more info to be seen
on the whole page entry.

http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/index.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re:Search for Laura Gagan
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 06 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Four Gagan found here....one matches the hastings district, but none with Laura, as yet...
http://search.freefind.com/find.html?id=3283671&pid=r&mode=ALL&n=0&query=GAGAN
Once this is found by some of the great genealogists in Ontario...you will find some answers...
I take it that your Laura was born out of wedlock to the Laura we seek?
Relax.....we have a crew here, that will find what there is to find. Some people, however, wanted to remain low profile and throw a wrench in the works, but we will do our best.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline DeniseA

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: I must be thick!
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 January 06 22:22 GMT (UK) »
lol, No, not thick Mars, it's the brick wall that's thick, but as J.J. told me, people here have a habit of breaking down brick walls, don't give up, take a break for a few days.....1911, Ontario, Hastings East is only 43% transcribed, Hastings West 60%, there is still a lot of census not transcribed...........
A little good news! I think I found Grace and family (original)
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1911a/e080/e001992923.pdf   Lines, 17-20
I am currently 2/3rds through the originals for Hastings East and will finish that today and attempt Hastings West tomorrow (Tues). By going directly to the pdf form and using the 'country born' and age as a reference in searching for Laura we might just find her. If she moved out of Hastings then we are out of luck searching the originals, waaaaaaaay too many ;D
Keep your chin up
~Denise

P.S I found one of your older threads Mars and gleaned some info from that and think I have a better understanding now of who is who, J.J. - Laura, Grace and Stephen Gagan came to Canada with their father, Stephen married here in Canada and then moved to Scotland in 1900, Mars is the daughter of Laura Maud Gagan who is daughter of Stephen Gagan, the Laura Gagan we are looking for stayed in Canada and is sister to Stephen.......correct me if i'm wrong, Mars :)
Canada/US - Aylestock, Cromwell, Lawson, Moore, Stonehouse
Kent - Cooper, Stock, Terry
Derby - Matthews, Rudkin, Sparham
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website www.collectionscanada.ca
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 January 06 22:39 GMT (UK) »
I am having trouble wrapping my mind around your request... maybe a simpler...who you are looking for, where born and approx.t date of birth would be easier to read...
I just read for the 3rd time and still can't get the thing right in my head...

Here is a Charles Herd....sorry if it's the wrong age,
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/ImageArray.jsp?id=91932

19 to 22

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 January 06 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Denise I entirely missed the part about them being workhouse
children!  The poor little dears.  Smart how you are looking for the the info.
You're on the ball. Nice that you have the energy to do that for Mars...
I have done that from time to time, but am getting lazier...Plus haven't yet
scored from that angle so my heart's not in it....

All the best from Icy Winnipeg!  Out to shovel more dirty old white stuff!
J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to throw a snowball at you,denise, ( keeping with the weather theme)
but I think that's Geo. gartland...( i am pretty sure it's Augustus)

If you do find them I found other threads of Mars bars with

Mary ( should be around 13 )    Joseph,  ( around 11 )
and twins Jerome & Jerrald being the children. ( around 8?)

Offline DeniseA

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 11:38 GMT (UK) »
lol, you throw all the snowballs you want, i'll take some :)
we have zero snow in Sarnia, which is really weird because normally at this time of year we are up to our armpits in snow  :o

Good call on the Geo, I didn't even notice George's info doesn't match with Augustus' so it couldn't be a middle name. The reason I thought this could be the correct family is, from the other thread I read (and this is from memory) the twins and another son, died in 1903. Margaret would be 23, possibly married or working elsewhere.
If you look at the original 1901, it could easily be an R rather than an I in Gaitland from the way the enumerator writes maRy)
1901, Hastings, Deseronto - Gaitland Grace Aug  9, 1873, 27, b:England
1911, Hastings, Deseronto - Gartland Grace Aug, 1874, 36, b:England
and
1901, Hastings, Deseronto - Gaitland Mary L. Jan  8, 1898, 3     
1911, Hastings, Deseronto - Gartland L???  Jan 1898, 13

The question is, if these are correct matches for Grace and Mary/L???, who is George  ???
Canada/US - Aylestock, Cromwell, Lawson, Moore, Stonehouse
Kent - Cooper, Stock, Terry
Derby - Matthews, Rudkin, Sparham
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website www.collectionscanada.ca
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Denise...
I see what happened, you sent an image for the 1911...which
does have a grace but all else is different... I think you meant the
1901 which is where he is transcribed as Gaitland....right? and Joseph
is on there as well, so this is definitely the correct family in 1901.

Yes, no doubt that's an "r"...good one.

and that must have been you "sheer luck, Mars...as they are on the
census with several other gartlands....

O.K....Denise I see now that you are comparing the 2 census...
I may be  the thick one, Mars...
I see what looks like L--ant- and Gren as the next 2 names...
but I can see where the Grace would have been an exciting find...
I fail THAT census taker in penmanship!