Author Topic: Esther Brennan Frank Henry Hughes - Curragh Camp - 1915  (Read 9015 times)

Offline ady1949

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Esther Brennan Frank Henry Hughes - Curragh Camp - 1915
« on: Tuesday 05 October 04 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
Am new to all this.  Need some help tracing my Father and Grandfather.  My Father was born on 19th November 1915 at Curragh Army Camp. His Father (my Grandfather) was serving with the British Army, 2nd Royal Sussex Regiment.  I assume he must have been in Ireland at around the time of my Father's birth/conception.  My Grandmother's name before marriage was Esther Brennan.  Anyone who may have any information, big or small, which may help me tracing my family would be gratefully accepted.  I dearly wish to trace back my family, but I have no surviving relatives (that I know of!) to help.
Many Thanks.
Ady1949
Hughes and Bradford in Sussex and Ireland and Brennan in Ireland Royal Sussex Regiment Smith(!) Bull in and around Bromley Kent

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: Esther Brennan Frank Henry Hughes - Curragh Camp - 1915
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 October 04 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Do you have his birth certificate from the Dublin GRO? This may have more information such as address. Were his parents married? You could search for the marriage in the indexes available at your local family history centre.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline ady1949

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 October 04 18:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for responding kate it was nice to finally get a reply to one of my posts! I have a copy of his Irish birth cert, they were definately married and his place of birth is given as Curragh Frank Henry Hughes (my Grandfather) was serving with the Royal Sussex, his residence is given as A.E. Forces, what ever that may mean!?!
Thanks
Adrian
Hughes and Bradford in Sussex and Ireland and Brennan in Ireland Royal Sussex Regiment Smith(!) Bull in and around Bromley Kent

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 October 04 19:16 BST (UK) »
So I would check in the indexes for other siblings or their marriage next.

Kate

Offline ady1949

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 October 04 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate
Sorry haven't replied sooner can't get wife or kids off the computer!!
I'm very new to all this genealogy stuff - what indexes do I look these up in?  If they were married in Ireland would they be the same indexes as if they were married in England?  I've looked at the BMD site and familysearch.org and wasted some money searching the 1837 site but with no luck.  Could this be because he was in the army and/or Ireland?
All sooooo confusing!
Adrian

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 November 04 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Adrian,

The Irish and English/Welsh indexes have always been separate. The indexes for BMD in Ireland are available in the GRO in Dublin and for some years, in the CLS family history centres on microfilm.

See my website for more details about years and things.

1837 is English/Welsh. General registration in Ireland started in 1864 and for non catholic marriages in 1845.

Kate

Offline Billiejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Am new to all this.  Need some help tracing my Father and Grandfather.  My Father was born on 19th November 1915 at Curragh Army Camp. His Father (my Grandfather) was serving with the British Army, 2nd Royal Sussex Regiment.  I assume he must have been in Ireland at around the time of my Father's birth/conception.  My Grandmother's name before marriage was Esther Brennan.  Anyone who may have any information, big or small, which may help me tracing my family would be gratefully accepted.  I dearly wish to trace back my family, but I have no surviving relatives (that I know of!) to help.
Many Thanks.
Ady1949

Dont know if I can be of any help but looking at the 1915 date suggests that if a birth occured at the Curragh it likely there was a definate connection with the Army.
However it was the British Army who were in situ at that time and therefore  likely that the family you seek were among those who marched from the Curragh when the Irish army took over around 1916+.
I also believe that the SAFFA (Army welfare/health) were also involved with the British Army families and may be a link to search, as still in existance in UK.
There is comprehensive information and photographs on another site which may give some clues also.
Just click in Co.Kildare.  The site colour is green.  Scrol down right hand side to the gold coloured heading - CURRAGH OF KILDARE where underneath you see History/ landmarks /photos etc.
Then click on ENTER and another list appears on the top left side < This includes  Read/sign Guest book where you will find similiar queries as your own.  Might not help but may give you some clues re- history etc.  When it comes up for me the web address is www.rootsweb.com/~irlkild/
There is also a Curragh forum at www.curragh.proboards34.com
Good Luck

Offline LC_1986

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been searching for Esther Brennan. She was born in 1909 in Kilkenny. But she lived in Dublin before marrying William Fanning. They had a son called XXXX together.

If anyone could help me find esther, William or XXXX it would be great! XXXX was born XXXX. And Esther was 42 years old when she had him

Email me with any info:

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Also: Edited to remove details of possible living person in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.

Offline LC_1986

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 July 09 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi i know a esther brennan born 1909 in thomastown kilkenny? Is this the same woman as the one your talking about?