Author Topic: Trying to trace Brophy family tree.  (Read 10620 times)

Offline anne elizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace Brophy family tree.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 September 05 16:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for going to all that trouble, I am still unable to narrow it down but may be if I give you more information it might help.

Please remember I am not certain about anything as some of it may just be stories handed down.

As far as I know Patrick Brophy was born in Ireland probably Dublin as I believe he spent the early part of his life there. I am guessing that he didn't come over to Liverpool until sometime in the 1900's. At some point he got married and had children, this could have been in Ireland or in England. One of his sons was called Robert and as he spoke with an Irish accent, which leads me to assume that Patricks marriage took place in Ireland where he would have raised his family. Patrick and his wife became separated, as far as I know he was a catholic so I don't know if divorce would have been possible, as the catholic church do not recognize it. Once he was over here he eventually met up with Annie or Ann Gilcrist they together had a son in 1925 called James Brophy, James was my father.
I was told by my father years ago that my great granddad, thats Patricks dad was the chief of the Dublin metropolitan police and he was also a very skilled coach painter, specializing in heraldic painting. How much of that is true I just don't know.
I am hoping to visit southern cemetery later today to try and find some clues about Patrick. I may have to make several weekend trips as I believe its a very large cemetery.

Regards
John.
Brophy, Bergin, Hogan, O'Brien, Lalor, Hughes, Clear, Peters, Bastick  all of Queens County Ireland

Offline anne elizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 September 05 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi I hope I'm doing this right, new girl :-\
Widowhood is the most likely cause of a second marriage, divorce would have bee well nigh impossible.
from another  Manchester Brophy probably no relation
Brophy, Bergin, Hogan, O'Brien, Lalor, Hughes, Clear, Peters, Bastick  all of Queens County Ireland

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 April 06 01:18 BST (UK) »
Hiya Acorn, Sarah and everyone on this thread,

I collected a copy of Jim Herlihy's book "The Dublin Metropolitan Police. A Complete Alphabetical List of Officers and Men 1836-1925" from my local library this afternoon. There were 14 Brophys in the Dublin Metropolitan Police. Only one Patrick Brophy though. He was born in 1841 at Stradbally, Queen's County and his DMP number was 6796

All the Best, Chris

Offline Acorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 October 06 02:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry its been a while since I last visited the site, thank you for all your help and advice so far.

Ann you could well be a distant relation.

Christopher, that book sounds interesting, it might give me some leads, I will try and order a copy from the local library.

I have found some more details about Patrick Brophy, he had the middle name of Joseph. I managed to get some details from the manchester councils website. He must have been born in 1877 as he was buried in southern cemetery in 1952 age 75.

I now need to find out what I can about him hopefully if I can find him on a census or track down a birth certificate it will lead me to my great grandad, the dublin police man.

If I find anything out I will post on here, and if anyone has any other useful tips it appreciated.
Names found so far in my family tree are:
Brophy, Henry, Gilcrist, Keoghan, Williams, Peasley.
Gilcrist could be spelt Gilchrist, not too sure yet.

Offline Acorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 October 06 21:31 BST (UK) »
Christopher you may be able to give me a clue as to who my great grandfather was, with that book. I have worked out that my grandfather Patrick joseph brophy was born 1877, his father my great grandfather was in the Dublin police. I do not know what my great grandfather was called but I have a bit more information which I obtained from www.familysearch.org which may narrow it down to two possibilities.

According to my research there were two patrick brophy's born in Ireland in 1877. The father of one was called John and the other father was called william. I have there wives names as well if it helps. If I my findings are correct one of these men was a high ranking policeman in the Dublin police. The only other information that I can give you, is that he was a very large chap over 6 foot who required help from other officers to get him up into the police carrage, due to him being quite over weight. If he went to sort out a pub brawl he would just bang the heads together of those fighting. This could all just be legend I dont know, but may be your book may give some clue as to his identity.
Names found so far in my family tree are:
Brophy, Henry, Gilcrist, Keoghan, Williams, Peasley.
Gilcrist could be spelt Gilchrist, not too sure yet.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 October 06 13:18 BST (UK) »
This message has been re-posted as a new request today (21st Oct)  See link below to prevent duplication of work already done

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=191180.0;num_replies=2
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 November 06 02:17 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Acorn,

John Brophy, DMP 6346, born 1838, Castletown, Queen's County
William Brophy, DMP 2569, born 1815, Ossory, Queen's County
William Brophy, DMP 2669, born 1815, Ossory, Queen's County
William Brophy, DMP 5165, born 1835, Aghaboe, Queen's County

Chris

Offline andreajs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 November 06 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi
If you go onto the Manchester Burial records site there is a Patrick Joseph Brophy buried in Manchester Southern Cemetery in 1952.
Unfortunately to see his plot number and what age he was and who he is buried with costs £4.
A word of advice if you do this is to save the image somewhere as to see it again you have to pay again!
Hope this helps
Andrea
Paleys from Yorks
McCalls from Manchester
McVeighs from Manchester
Tattersalls from Lancs
Crightons from Manchester
Allens from Bury
Owens from Warrington
Hall from Hull
Best from Hull

Offline AJ Brophy_Santos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 March 09 08:52 GMT (UK) »
[/font]I don't know if we are related or something, I'm actually quite new here. But I was told that my great-grandfather - Harry Brophy - parents came from Ireland. They migrated in Missouri, United States probably back in 1940's. I don't know but brophy's surname is quite rare. I'm just curious about my family's history. ;)
banned / spam IP