Author Topic: CRAWFORD  (Read 4260 times)

Offline pinehart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CRAWFORD
« on: Sunday 03 September 06 05:19 BST (UK) »
> My name is Grant Crawford. I am a farmer near Clare in South Australia.
> I am trying to research some CRAWFORD  family history before my son visits Argyllshire at Christmas.
> My great-great grandfather, Neil Crawford emigrated from Argyllshire in 1839 aboard the Lady Lilford.He was very young, maybe 17 or 18 His embarkation number was 2883.
> I think that he was, or at least his family was involved in agriculture near Inverary.
> Moderator comment: e-mail address removed to prevent spamming & other possible abuse

Doyou have any ideas for me to start.

> Grant Crawford
>

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
  • One-Half of Dancing-Duo Waltzing Through 'TARDIS'.
    • View Profile
Re: CRAWFORD
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 September 06 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Grant,

I did a search on the 1841 Census on 'FreeCen' - and came up with the following two entries:
I searched under  Year-1841 / Surname-Crawford / Marital Status-Any Status / Sex-Male / Occupation-Agriculture / Census Place-Inveraray
and Glenaray ARL 1841
/ Census County-Argyllshire /

I had to limit the search as it was getting timed out, there must be so many CRAWFORDs.
http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Address: Drumfern.
CRAWFORD, Alexander - M   50yrs / Agriculture Labourer / (born) Argyllshire.            

CRAWFORD, Grace - F 45yrs / (born) Argyllshire.           
CRAWFORD, Cathrine - F 20 yrs / (born) Argyllshire.             .
CRAWFORD, Gregor - M 9yrs / (born) Argyllshire.        
CRAWFORD, Archibald - M 7yrs / (born) Argyllshire.                           
AITKEN, James - M 6m / (born) Argyllshire.
Address: St Johns.
CRAWFORD, James - M 60 / Agriculture Labourer /        (born) Argyllshire.            

CRAWFORD, Jean - F 60yrs / (born) Argyllshire.            
CRAWFORD, Margaret - F 30yrs / (born) Argyllshire.            
CRAWFORD, Archibald - M 4yrs / (born) Argyllshire.            
MCGREGOR, Archibald - M 2yrs / Lodger / Argyllshire.

I also went into the IGI on 'FamilySearch.org', and did a search on Niel (Neil) CRAWFORD. [spelling is as listed]
There were a few by this name, but the following births were the ones nearest the age that you mentioned.

[Click on the URL] http://www.familysearch.org/
[Then click on] Search.
[Then click on] International Genealogical Index.
(I have to give these directions as I was having trouble with the width of my posted message, due to the length of the direct URL)

Niel CRAWFORD[/b] (b. 21st April 1819 - Kilcalmonell and Kilberry, Argyll, Sct.)
Parents: Archibald CRAWFORD & Isabel GALBREATH.

Niel CRAWFORD (b. 13th October 1822 - Kilcalmonell And Kilberry, Argyll, Sct.)
Parents: Donald CRAWFORD & Ann McMILLAN.

Niel CRAWFORD (b. 27th November 1822 - Glassary, Argyll, Sct.)
Parents: Alexander CRAWFORD & Grissel MONRO.   
(The Parents Marriage - 24th Jan. 1816 - Inveraray and Glenaray, Argyll, Sct. also on IGI)
Also on the IGI I found a Marriage for an
Alexander CRAWFORD & Grace DRUMMOND (Marr. 24th May 1818 - Stirling, Stirling, Scotland). 
Question as to whether this is the same Alexander & Grace, I mentioned above, as having found on the 1841 Census.
Why not try some searches yourself (at the above URLs) and see what comes up.  Also if you have any further details relating to your  Neil / Niel CRAWFORD, for example if you know his definite parentage, then perhaps we may be able to assist further.

Another thought -
As he came out to Australia: 
Do you have his Death Certificate?  As this may (or should) list his Parents, then it makes it easier for tracing him on the IGI / Parish Records etc. 

Did he come out to Australia on his own / or with other family members?

If his parents remained in Scotland, then with their names, it will be easier to trace them on the 1841 Census, or later Censuses.

I do not know if any of this information is of any relevance to you, but I hope I have been of some help.

Jeanette H.

One-Half Of 'Dancing-Duo' Waltzing Through Time & Space. 
Researching To Find Lots Of Things Not To Do.

Research Names & Areas:
Ayrshire, Sct.: BROWN / BAIRD / BURNS(BURNESS) / CAMPBELL / COWAN / HUTCHISON / REID / WYL(L)IE
Roxburghshire, Sct.: TURNBULL / VEITCH /  ELLIOT / MURRAY
Aberdeenshire, Sct.: WATT / MITCHELL
England: TOPPING / MEDLEY
Ireland: MORROW
Australia: BROWN / BAIRD / TURNBULL / WATT / TOPPING / MORROW / MEDLEY / TACKI
Germany: ECKHARDT / HUBNER / TACKI

Offline twinkleberry

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 December 06 06:42 GMT (UK) »

I saw your request re Neil Crawford.

I did a search and found two death records of a Neil Crawford.

1. Neil Crawford died 19th June 1904 in South Australia

and/or 2.  Neil Crawford died 1965 at Toowoomba, Queensland.

Hope one of them is YOUR Neil Crawford's.

"Twinkleberry"
Heather Hobbis 1949-2012

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 December 06 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Here are 3 Neil Crawfords who fit the bill, look at family names is there any similarities with your own. There may be misspellings but usually they will use family names.

a - Neil Crawford - Male Birth: 21 APR 1819 Kilcalmonell and Kilberry, Argyll, Scotland
Parents – Archibald Crawford & Isabel Galbreath

1 - Margaret Crawford: Female Birth: 09 SEP 1815 Kilcalmonell And Kilberry, Argyll, Scotland
2 - Anne Crawford: Female Birth: 19 APR 1817 Kilcalmonell And Kilberry, Argyll, Scotland
3 - Neil Crawford: Male Birth: 21 APR 1819 Kilcalmonell And Kilberry, Argyll, Scotland
4 - Isabell Crawford Female Birth: 14 MAR 1824 Kilcalmonell And Kilberry, Argyll, Scotland
5 - Mary Crawford: Female Birth: 12 JAN 1828 Kilcalmonell And Kilberry, Argyll, Scotland
6 -Katherine Crawford: Female Birth: 04 MAY 1828 Kilcalmonell And Kilberry, Argyll, Scotland

Not too sure about dates for 5 & 6 a 4 month pregnancy? These are the family of Archibald and Isabel Galbraith, no wonder he emigrated 5 sisters who was doing all the work?

b - Neil Crawford - Male Birth: 13 OCT 1822 Kilcalmonell and Kilberry, Argyll, Scotland
Parents - Donald Crawford & Ann McMillan

1 - Dugald Crawford: Male Christen: 28 JUL 1816 Kilcalmonell and Kilberry, Argyll, Scotland
2 - Donald Crawford: Male Birth: 14 OCT 1819 Kilcalmonell And Kilberry, Argyll, Scotland
3 - Neil Crawford: Male Birth: 13 OCT 1822 Kilcalmonell And Kilberry, Argyll, Scotland
4 - Ann Crawford : Female Christening: 18 MAR 1826 Kilcalmonell and Kilberry, Argyll, Scotland
5 - James Crawford: Male Christen: 15 APR 1829 Kilcalmonell and Kilberry, Argyll, Scotland

c - Neil Crawford - Male Birth: 27 NOV 1822 Glassary, Argyll, Scotland
Parents - Alexander Crawford & Grissel Munro

1 - Neil Crawford: Male Birth: 27 NOV 1822 Glassary, Argyll, Scotland
2 – Gregor Crawford: Male Birth 06 SEP 8131 Inverary and Glenary, Argyll, Scotland.
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.