Author Topic: Drummond Street, London  (Read 7995 times)

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Drummond Street, London
« on: Saturday 11 November 06 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I made a trip to the Archives today and discovered in my Great Grandfather's war records that he lists his place of birth as Drummond Street, London, England. Would anyone know what district of London this would fall under or be able to describe the area for me so I can picture it. He was born in 1873.

Thank you,
Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Drummond Street, London
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 November 06 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Officially it's in the Borough of Camden.

If you go to this link and press map, you will see it just north of Euston Road and west north west of Euston station:

http://www.londontown.com/LondonInformation/Underground_Stations/Euston_Square/3d54/

There's also a nice piece here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drummond_Street

Gadget

PS I can vouch for some of the Indian restaurants  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 November 06 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gadget.

In 1873 would you know how someone would describe the area? Would scuzzy still apply? I don't hold any hope that it is a well off area, as my great grandfather was a British home child. Would anyone know what was in this street in about this time?

Much appreciated,
Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 November 06 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda

I'm not too sure about that. There are others who might have more info. In the meantime, it might be worth you looking at this site:

http://www.victorianlondon.org/

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 November 06 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Linda

Also look at http://booth.lse.ac.uk/ and ensure you get the correct Drummond Street as there are several.

Biker
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 November 06 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Linda

If you can get a copy of his birth certificate, it would tell you which Drummond Street it was. The one I gave you is the most well known and I think the most likely.

Some of my line lived around there in the 1890s. They appear to have been a reasonably affluent family, the husband being a factory manager. At least one of the sons became a solicitor.

Gadget

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 November 06 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Great sights and thank you so much. I've spent the morning browsing.

I have briefly extracted and summed up:
In the late 1800s for people living on this street  none can be said to rise above poverty, nor are many to be classed as very poor. As a general rule they had a hard struggle to make ends meet, but they were, as a whole, decent steady men, paying their way and bringing up their children respectably. Residents of this street generally had earnings of 18s to 21s per week for a moderate family and included intermittent working labourers, poorer artisans and street sellers. The irregularity of employment may show itself in the week or in the year: Stevedores and waterside porters may secure only one of two days' work in a week, whereas labourers in the building trades may get only eight or nine months in a year. The comfortable received small regular earnings and included factory, dock, and warehouse labourers, carmen, messengers and porters.

It was interesting to find out there was a bank at Drummond, 49, Charing-cross. It has been found from the marriage record  that James' parents were Helen Day and Joseph Clark. I did find a Joseph Clark with wife Helen on the 1871 census living in the St. John at Hackney District. I cannot find this couple on the 1881 census. It is known that James had a sister in England; however, grandchildren living don't know her name, so the Amy with this couple looks promising. He lists both parents as dead in his war records.  James was born August 18, 1873. I haven't been able to identify him on the BMD yet. Still looking.

Thank you both once again,
Linda

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 November 06 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda

I'm glad you enjoyed the read. However, I don't quite understand this sentence

It was interesting to find out there was a bank at Drummond, 49, Charing-cross

As far as I can find there were no Drummond Streets in the Charing Cross area. All the Drummond Streets appear to be either the one I mentioned or smaller streets in the St Pancras area.

Have you asked for a look up for your Clark family on any of the censuses. If not, it might be worth asking on the Look up section of this board.

I shall certainly have a good look for James' birth registration for you. However, there was no legal enforcement (i.e. it wasn't a criminal offence) to register births until 1875 so he might have just not been registered. :(

Gadget

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 November 06 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

You will find the bank here: http://www.victorianlondon.org/finance/listofbanks.htm

This is  the 1871 census reference, RG10/326/p.13 for Joseph & Helen Clark.
Hackney Parish, Parliamentary Borough of Hackney, Ecclesiastic  District of St. John at Hackney
Household #60 at 10 Clifden Rd. Joseph is listed as a banker's clerk.

Thanks Gadget, I appreciate it.

Linda