Author Topic: Visiting Monaghan Sept.2007 - advice re family research please?  (Read 13190 times)

Offline elizabeth3

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Visiting Monaghan Sept.2007 - advice re family research please?
« on: Monday 27 November 06 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi listers,   I have found several ancestors in the Clones Rent Rolls of 1821 and believe that both sides of my family came from Monaghan County.   Next year I will visit Ireland and would love some advice on the best way to tackle this research to achieve maximum results in the few weeks available.   Names I am researching include:  GORDON, LEMON , MARTIN, LEE, HARBISON, WILLIAMSON, SCHOLES, HALL, GILLANDERS.   Any suggestions will be much appreciated.   Elizabeth

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting Monaghan Sept.2007 - advice re family research please?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 December 06 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth,

Having been over, you really need to know the parish and townland if you're going to search anything at records office. Also religion is key cos if records non Catholic (and they're in Latin - you have been warned!), they are out of town.

Only 3 parking spaces at non Catholic recs place so you need to be early but don't go there less you know which parish at least cos not that helpful! Lot of microfiche pretty unreadable as well!

When you get there buy some maps (if you don't have already) which show county , parish and townalnds - all book shops have them. You'll need them!

Also visit the genealogists in nat library - v helpful folks - free service but you may have to queue. don;t go at lunchtime cos you will!

Sorry not good news but we'll all get there!

Ann
x
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline elizabeth3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 December 06 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann,  Thank you very much for picking up my message and taking the time to reply.

I am very interested in what you have to say since you have been there researching yourself.   Did you have much success?   

I do have a good idea of the Parish and townland, (certainly the general area), of most of my ancestors.   Also, I do know that they were Protestant - some had left the established Churches to become Methodist.   I gather from your comments that this will possibly make it more difficult to find them!

Now when you talk about parking spaces etc. where exactly was this?   Also, where is the National Library in which I will find the Genealogists?   Sorry to sound so uninformed but I really do not have a clue where to start in being prepared and I do so want to have success.

I wish you every success with your own family research and thank you again for responding.

Elizabeth
W. Aussie :-[

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 December 06 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth

Glad to help. I did find a new things but it was really hard slog.

Knowing the parish and towland is a great start and should help you at the place where then non RC records are. It's in the North of Dublin - sorry can't remember address but it's a fair way out of the city centre - and closes at lunchtime! Is across the road from large hopsital. I'll come back to you on the address.

The car park is tiny and has very little parking for visitors (only 3 or 4 spaces). Most stuff is on Microfiche.

The National Library is where all the Catholic records are held and is in the centre of Dublin. When you go in there's a sign points you to genealogy room. It's worth visiting them first and going through with them what you are looking for.

If you want to see records you need to get a readers card and this means having a passport sized pic with you - they make them on the spot. Again most is fiche and again you need to know parish and townland. the folks there are really helpful

Good luck

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 December 06 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Seasons Greetings Elizabeth,

I'd tend to do a reasonable amount of research in Belfast in preferance to Dublin. I think it would be a good idea if you could get hold of a book titled "Church of Ireland Records" by Dr Raymond Refausse. He's the librarian at the Representative Church Body Library, Rathgar, Dublin which I'm certain is the place Ann means. Yes it is .. Bus Route: 14 from D'Olier Street (City Centre) to Mount Carmel Hospital (Braemor Park). The Library is opposite 33 Braemor Park.

There's parking in the grounds of the Public Record Office in Belfast. I'll check that it's for people going to research as well as for members of the staff. PRONI have records of the main Churches in Ireland.

Chris

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 December 06 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth

been doing bit of tiidying. the address for the place where the non Catholic records is representative Church Body Library, Braemor Park, Chrurchtown, Dublin 14. tel no 0353 1 492 3979. E mail is library"at"ireland.anglican.org

Also book that may help. Tracing Your Irish Ancestors by John Gresham. I've found it a great book.

Cheers

Ann

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 December 06 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Seasons Greetings Elizabeth,

I looked at the AA Route Planner (Ireland). I presume you would like to visit the area where your ancestors lived. Dublin to Monaghan is 77 miles 1 hour 34 minutes whereas Belfast to Monaghan is 57 miles 1 hour 2 minutes.   

Christopher

Offline elizabeth3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher,  I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to respond to your very helpful advice regarding my visit to Ireland in August.   I had not come across this site before and did not remember that I needed to check in every so often for further messages.   I think senility must be setting in! <grin>   Thank you very much for your helpful suggestions;   I am making note of these addresses and contacts that I am receiving from the posts on this web site and they will accompany me on the journey for reference when I get there.      Kind regards, Elizabeth

Offline elizabeth3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann,  I wish to thank you for your interest and helpful information regarding my proposed trip to Ireland in August of this year.   I simply forgot that I needed to keep checking in for further replies on the web site, thus the very long delay in responding to your last comments.   I am taking notes of these addresses and comments and will have them with me for reference when I get there to begin my search.   Again, thank you very much for all your help in this regard.   Kind regards, Elizabeth