Author Topic: Uniform Identification needed please  (Read 4527 times)

Offline Omega

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Uniform Identification needed please
« on: Wednesday 17 January 07 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Could someone identify the uniform worn by my g grandfather who was born 1857 Hampton, Lovett, Worcestershire.   I think with information from census and marriage certificate, his period of service should fall somewhere from the months after 1881 census taking to early 1890.
He was living with family in 1881 census at 2 Princess St., Kings Norton, Worcestershire and he was working for the gold mines in Gympie Qld Australia and marring my g grandmother on 25/10/1890.

Your help with this uniform regement identification would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.....Deirdre
Derbyshire - HUNT, BRADFORD, Worcestershire - NOTT, BROOKING, Glasgow - CAMPBELL, Gloucestershire - BATEMAN, CHURCHILL, Ireland - McGILL, McDONALD, ILAND[also Ireland Irland](possible Manchester). Australia - UNDERWOOD, BROOM/MCBROOM

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform Identification needed please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 January 07 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Deirdre

Your soldier looks like he is in an English line Regiment perhaps from the late 1870s.  It would be good to see a close-up of the hat (incase the badge shows up) and also the collar area.

The cuffs and the collar appear to be darker on the photo, which could mean that he was in a 'Royal' regiment.

Here's a photo of soldiers at the zulu wars, 1879, whose uniform looks similar to your soldier. Though I am not suggesting he was in this particular regiment.

Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline Omega

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 January 07 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Atom12

Thank you for answering my queerie.  Word of mouth down the family has Henry in the Queens Guards as an Engineer as I have said in my original post he would probably have joined 1881 after census or 1882.  I will see if a close up of the cap is possible without distorting the photo to make it fuzzy.

Thank you.....Deirdre
Derbyshire - HUNT, BRADFORD, Worcestershire - NOTT, BROOKING, Glasgow - CAMPBELL, Gloucestershire - BATEMAN, CHURCHILL, Ireland - McGILL, McDONALD, ILAND[also Ireland Irland](possible Manchester). Australia - UNDERWOOD, BROOM/MCBROOM

Offline Darksecretz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 January 07 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Deirdre asked me to try and get a better picture... so here it is... I hope it helps

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 January 07 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, but the photo re-posted is too big and blurry.  A decent close-up of the collar badges might help, but perhaps these old photos are not crisp enough to get a good definition on a close-up.

He still appears to be wearing a late 1870s uniform, (pre-Cardwell Reforms), although the dress perhaps continued into the early 1880s. Again, he looks like he is in an English county 'Royal' regiment. Engineers would have worn the same uniform as other branches of the army, as the excerpt below tells us:

Royal Engineers Uniform 1879

Uniform
The basic uniform for both RE officers and Other Ranks, as for most soldiers, was the red serge jacket, and blue trousers, with the various embellishments appropriate to different ranks and trades. However the smartness of the parade ground had to be forgotten on campaign. The soldiers usually had to sleep in uniform for weeks, even months at a time, in readiness for night attacks.
McKay:

Offline Darksecretz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 January 07 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Deirdre,

reposted on the restore thread, on here, this is the link

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=208826.new

but not much happening, i'm afraid :(
sorry hun....

Julie

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 January 07 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Having seen the posts  on the photographic forum lookiing for confirmation  that Henry was a guardsman, I am posting a photo of guardsmen of the period. The 3 'facing' soldiers are:

Left = a Grenadier, Middle = Coldstreamer: Right = Scots Guardsman.

Thanks Neil and Tom for your verification.
McKay:

Offline Omega

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 02:05 GMT (UK) »
I found this on the website below does it help any in identifying my g grandfathers uniform?

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/armyuniforms/britishengineers/royalengineersuniform.htm

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 15:27 GMT (UK) »
I think this chap's uniform looks nearer to it, especially the piping above the cuffs:

McKay: