Author Topic: Mary Ann WOOD(W)ARD  (Read 3113 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Mary Ann WOOD(W)ARD
« on: Friday 26 January 07 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

I'm new to this 'branch' of research and have a couple of queries.

Mary Ann was born in Suffolk around 1828 according to her 1906 death cert in Australia.

There is some confusion over her surname.

There is a FreeBMD marriage entry for December 1/4 1853 Lambeth but the surname is Woodard, the husband is correct though, William Sherry. I haven't got the marriage cert yet.

It's possible Mary Ann above is in London by the 1851 census.

94 Holborn Hill, Holborn St Andrew
H0107 Piece 1527 Folio 126 Page 41
Mary Ann Woodward age 26 Housemaid Born Bristol Suffolk

The scanned image is quite clearly Bristol Suffolk

Can someone with more local knowledge suggest what alternatives 'Bristol' could be.

Also, having never ventured in Suffolk for research, what is IGI coverage like for baptisms?

Thanks in advance

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline chris359

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Wood(w)ard
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 January 07 21:48 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't think of anywhere in Suffolk that sounded much like Bristol. I searched the Suffolk Marriage index (1812 - 1837) for all the WOODARD and WOODWARD marriages but none of the locations looked/sounded even remotely like Bristol.

I searched the 1841 census for a possible entry and came up with one in Bristol - it's possible you may not have identified it as it's indexed under "St Paul" and doesn't state Bristol on the index.

It's  HO107/374/6
Registration district: Bristol 
Sub-registration district: St Paul 

Mary Woodward lived with Judith and Jane. Both appear in 1851, but without Mary Ann - so it looks promising!

I have WOODARD / WOODWARD in my tree, the spellings seem to be used interchangeably.

Hope this is some help.

Chris
Suffolk: ABBOTT, BISHOP, BUCKLE, BULL, CROUCH, DALBY, DEATH, DIAPER, FAIRWEATHER, LEADER, MEADOWS, NOBLE, PLEASANCE, RANSON, RAYNHAM, RINGE, SCARFE, TAYLOR, WHITE
Essex: SHEPHERD, ASHBY
Norfolk: SCARFE, MICKLEBURGH, MALLOWS, MEADOWS
Northumberland: SCOTT, BEARUP, KIDD, TINLIN
Dorset: MORRIS, GALPIN, WOODLAND
Channel Islands: WAKEHAM

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 January 07 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn

The marriage is on the IGI:

William Henry SHERRY m. Mary Ann WOODARD
3 October 1853 at All Saints, Lambeth, Surrey
Groom's father: Isaac SHERRY
Bride's father: John WOODARD

A note of caution: This is one of those "I" batches that turned up on the IGI a year or two ago. No-one seems to know whether they are controlled extractions or (unverified) member submissions.

Having said that, this record does match the GRO marriage registration, so let's see what else we can find out!

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 January 07 22:18 GMT (UK) »
This one might be worth investigating:

1841 Barking, Suffolk ("Needham Hamlet of Barking")
HO 107/1018/6 folio 5 page 1

"High Street"
John Woodward, 40, draper & grocer
Sarah, 40, do.
Sarah, 15, do.
John, 15, do.
Eliza, 14
Mary, 13
Charles, 11
William, 9
Robertm 7
Rose Nobbs, 15, F.S.

All recorded as born in Suffolk ("Y") except John's wife.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 January 07 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello all

Thanks for your contributions.

I am going to add in some extra information that may mean what's been posted needs a rethink.

The birth and marriage information is taken from deaths certs issued in Australia and I'm trying to work backwards.

Mary Ann Sherry died 28 Dec 1906 aged 78, parents not known, born Suffolk. Married in London aged 19 to William Henry Sherry.

William Henry Sherry died 7 Aug 1877 aged 58, parents John Sherry and Elizabth, born Bath married aged 29 to Mary Ann Woodward.

Children - Mary Ann born 1849, Amelia 1851 and William 1853. Others born in Australia.

The 1853 marriage on FreeBMD looked promising, despite the notes above indicating they were married around 1847/1848, haven't found another suitable match so far but will now go back and look again as the corresponding entry on IGI has Isaac Sherry as William's father. I had assumed (possibly wrongly) the children were born out of wedlock and they married before going to Australia.

I have a sighting of William Sherry on the 1851 census (at top of posting) but he's not with Mary Ann.  The 1851 entry for Mary Ann than I was working on gives her birthplace as Bristol Suffolk but she is without her eldest child. The youngest born 1851 may have been after the census. I have a possible sighting of a 3yr old Mary Ann in Hanwell Middlesex visiting with her grandmother Elizabeth Woodward HO107 piece 1699 folio 661 page 12

So here's where I think we are now.

The William Sherry and Mary Ann Woodard marriage on IGI ties up with the 1841 census for John Woodward her father but it may not be the correct marriage I am looking for.

I need to identify more Mary Ann Wood(w)ard's on the 1851 census, she may also be listed as Mary Ann Sherry if inded they married before 1853 as both death certs suggest.

I need to see if there are any more possible 3yr Mary Ann's either Sherry or Wood(w)ard.

Is there anything else to consider?

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 January 07 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,

Mary Ann's birthplace as written down in 1851 is certainly Bristol, I wonder what she said in her Suffolk accent that made the enumerator in London think she had said Bristol  ::).

There was a Bristle Green, part of the parish of Darsham until 1851, Darsham All Saints are only on 12 fiche from 1539-1900 and they have been filmed - you may be able to get a look up or order them to your local LDS centre.

I think the reference provided by Dave Francis is worth looking at -
In White's 1844 John Woodward is listed as a shopkeeper in Needham Market - there is also a John Woodward listed as a farmer.
In 1855 White's John Woodward is listed as a Grocer and Draper.

Needham Market St John PRs are on 33 fiche from 1563-1900 and you may well find the baptism of Mary Ann recorded.

It's a very interesting church, originally built as a chapel on one of the pilgrim routes across East Anglia (I went to have a good look around a couple of years ago whilst my car was having an MOT at Kerridge's of Needham Market).

Have a look at the church www.suffolkchurches.co.uk and read Simon's comments too.

Best wishes, SM ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline chris359

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 January 07 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Just to throw another spanner in the works:

Look at the 1841 census entry for William Sherry

Source information: HO107/687/5
Registration district: Kensington 
Sub-registration district: Chelsea North East 

Looks like this is the same as the William in Chelsea in 1851, cheesemonger. But looks as if his father could be Isaac (as in the IGI entry!!)

Have fun!

Chris
Suffolk: ABBOTT, BISHOP, BUCKLE, BULL, CROUCH, DALBY, DEATH, DIAPER, FAIRWEATHER, LEADER, MEADOWS, NOBLE, PLEASANCE, RANSON, RAYNHAM, RINGE, SCARFE, TAYLOR, WHITE
Essex: SHEPHERD, ASHBY
Norfolk: SCARFE, MICKLEBURGH, MALLOWS, MEADOWS
Northumberland: SCOTT, BEARUP, KIDD, TINLIN
Dorset: MORRIS, GALPIN, WOODLAND
Channel Islands: WAKEHAM

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 January 07 16:16 GMT (UK) »
 :o :o :o :o :o

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 January 07 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Chris ( or anyone reading this)

I don't have access to Ancestry at home, I use the library edition.

Do this Isaac have a wife shown? Is it Elizabeth?

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea