Author Topic: LOOKUP OFFER: Old Ballyclug Graveyard  (Read 17083 times)

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LOOKUP OFFER: Old Ballyclug Graveyard
« on: Monday 12 March 07 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Ballyclug Graveyard, in Ballylesson townland.  I have the booklet listing all the transcribed headstones.  Willing to send details to those who ask.  RosemaryJoan

For a Look up please start a NEW TOPIC on the Antrim Board.
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: OLD BALLYCLUG GRAVEYARD
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 March 07 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the offer, unlikely to be, but could you check for any Lilly/Lilley graves recorded.

Always on the lookout for any mention of this surname in the Ballymena and surrounding area as research on my own line has turned into a bit of a mini study of the surname in general in this area.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 March 07 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Scotmum - not a Lilley in sight!  RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 March 07 14:18 GMT (UK) »
No problem - thanks for looking  :).

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 March 07 17:36 GMT (UK) »
ROSEMARY  ;D

could you please check if there are any Porter's ,McDowell's,Stevenson's.Twig's
many thanks

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Steve, Nary a one.  That's not to say that they are not buried there.  I have been in the graveyard and there aren't many headstones left.  It is VERY old and instead of headstones some graves just have a big boulder at the head.  By the way, I own (by default) four graves there!  Rosemary

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for looking Rosemary

whoeeeee....four plots...I would pick the one with the best view to use for yourself.. ;D

I wonder where the original burial register is now?!

Steve  ;D
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 March 07 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Ballymena Borough Council hold it.  After a lot of pushing I managed to get a list of all the Ross burials.  It is an old and battered document I believe but it was a small help in my research.  Rosemary

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 March 07 19:59 GMT (UK) »
As it happens, I was chatting with a lady today who says she struggled a number of years ago to get plot details ( ie who was buried in them - she does know which plots are theirs and there is a booklet containing some headstone inscriptions available for the graveyard), from Burial Registers,  from Ballymena Borough council regarding Racavan Graveyard - I too am interested in documents of plots there and had almost given up any hope of their still exisitng.

It seems this lady was told that when someone in the council who looked after such records retired years ago, they thought the records were destroyed then. Your find sounds hopeful that maybe other such old records did, after all, survive somewhere within the coucil archives. If it isn't too much trouble, could you PM me details of who you finally managed to get help from, as it may be worth my trying them too .

Thanks in advance  :).