Author Topic: 1911 Irish census  (Read 8388 times)

Offline E. HOEY

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1911 Irish census
« on: Sunday 25 March 07 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody.

Could anyone tell me if the 1911 Irish,census is up and running.I have my Great Grandfather William (Henry) Nicholson,in the 1901 census,living in Carlingford,Co Louth.

1901 Census William (Henry) Nicholson,62 (Occ)Blacksmith.wife Anne,49.Son,John,25(Occ)Rural postman.Son,Joseph,19(Occ)Smiths helper.Others on it are my Grandfather,James,but he is in Liverpool,from 1904,and Daughter,Mary Anne,she married, Francis Edwin Kettle,in 1903,and possibly remained in Ireland.My Great Grandfather,I am almost certain died, between 1904 & 1911.Any kind of information would be gratefully accepted,no matter how small,which would point me in the right direction,as to finding more information,about my Irish ancestry.

Is there anyone who could look for the Nicholson,family if they have access to the 1911 census.I live in Liverpool,and due to personal circumstances,I am unable to visit Ireland myself.

Best wishes.
Edward Hoey.(Liverpool)

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Irish census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 March 07 23:14 BST (UK) »
Dear Edward,
Copies of the 1911 Ireland Census can be ordered on microfilm from your local Latter Day Saints library; go in person to order the film, pay (only a couple of pounds or so) and wait , sometimes the film will arrive from the central depot in only a few days, sometimes you may have to wait a few weeks, but then you get to keep the film at the library for a couple of months, so you can peruse it to your heart's content.

The one in Liverpool is at 4 Millbank, West Derby, Liverpool.
Tel 0151 252 0614

Check the familysearch.org site :click on 'family history centres' at the top of the page.
You will need to know the film number, I know there is somewhere that lists the numbers, if you don't find it, let us know!
Good luck,
Mags
Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline E. HOEY

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 March 07 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Mags.Thank you for replying to my post.

I wouldn't know if the Nicholson, family where (or are)still living in Carlingford,in 1911.I was hoping, that someone might,have subscribed to the 1911 census,and could possibly look for the Nicholsons,for me.People put look ups on our site over here,and people who have bought the census,look for the families for them,with good results.I have been to the LDS,in Liverpool,that is where I got the 1901 census, I think I was lucky finding them then.Could you embellish a bit more about the lists for the numbers.

Thank you Mags.
Edward Hoey.

Offline dee melody

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 March 07 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Edward.  Here are the reference Nos for 1911 Census, Carlingford, Louth.  Just order the films you need to view from LDS Family history Centre.  Hope its of some help to you.

1911 Carlingford D.E.D. 29/1-3 Townlands: Commons, Grange Irish, Grange Old. - FLH BRITISH Film [1840049 Item 2]
1911 Carlingford D.E.D. 29/4-7 (files 1-8) Townlands: Liberties of Carlingford, Monskland, Mullatee. Carlingford Town:Back Lane, Castle Hill, Dundalk Street, Dundalk Street  (Old Road), shipping return, Market Street, Tholsel Street. - FHL BRITISH fILM [1840080 ITEM 1]
1911 Drummallagh D.E.D. 30/2-10 Townlands:  Ballinteskin, Ballyonan, Bavan, Cornamucklagh, Corrakit, Drummallagh, Knocknagoran, Lislea, Tullaghomeath. - FHL BRITISH Film [1840081]
1911 Greenore D.E.D. 31/1-16 Townlands: Ardtully More, Ballagan, Ballug, Ballnamoney (Bradshaw), Ballnamoney(Murphy), Ballytrasna, Grenore, Millgrange, Muchgrange, Muckleagh, Mullabane, Petestown, Templetown, Whitestown, Wilville, Greenore Town: Euston Street, unnamed part of town, shipping return. - FHL BRITISH Film [1840082]
1911 Greenore D.E.D. 31/17 Whitestown. - FHL BRITISH Film [1840083 item 1]
1911 Rathcor D.E.D. 32/1-18 Townlands: Ardtully Beg, Ballaverty, Ballnamaghery, Benagh, Castlecarragh, Castletowncooley, Earls Quarter, Galtrimsland, Glenmore, Lubriscan, Maddoxgarden, Maddoxland, Mountbagnall, Mullaghattin (Mullatina), rath Upper, Rathcor, Rathcor Lower, Seecrin (Secrine). - FHL BRITISH Film [1840083 item 2]

Hope this is of some help to you.
Dee
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Melody: Carrick, Attymass, Ballina, County Mayo
Cassidy:Mayo/Leitrim
Granaghan: Crossmolina, County Mayo
Mullens: Kensington, London

Offline dee melody

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 March 07 21:54 BST (UK) »
Edward, one extra line had been left out.  It was listed as 1811 instead of 1911 here goes:

1911 Drummullagh D.E.D. 30/1 Townland Ardaghy. - FHL BRITISH Film [1840080 item 2]

Apologies for that.
Dee

Offline E. HOEY

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 March 07 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Dee.

Thank you ever so much your time for printing the information out for me, you are a star.

Will go to the LDS,which is not far from where I live.The bottom one looks promising,as Rathcor is on the 1901 census,I shall start with that one,and who knows.

Thank you once again Dee.
Eddy.

Offline dee melody

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 March 07 22:24 BST (UK) »
Edward, good luck.  Only wish I had the same luck for our lot in the Ballina area of Mayo.  It's like they never existed.  I spend half my life at the local LDS viewing film in the hope that a name will 'appear'.  I have to strike lucky sometime - preferably sooner rather than later.  Anyway happy hunting with your lot.
Dee

Offline E. HOEY

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 March 07 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Dee.

I know what you mean.I thought that the people in Ireland,could do lookups,like we do over here,put your relatives on a post,and people find them for you,and email you back,with the information,about your family,but obviously the census must not be on line like our 1901 census,over here.

Thanks once again Dee, and I hope you find what your looking for.

Regards.
Eddy.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 September 08 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Dee.

Thank you ever so much your time for printing the information out for me, you are a star.

Will go to the LDS,which is not far from where I live.The bottom one looks promising,as Rathcor is on the 1901 census,I shall start with that one,and who knows.

Thank you once again Dee.
Eddy.

Hello Eddy,
Did you have any problems getting the microfilms of the 1911 Census ???

There's a current query from another RootsChatter and they're wondering if it's easy enough to obtain them.

Christopher