Author Topic: Searching for surnames- LEES and ANDREWS  (Read 16110 times)

Offline julie333

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for surnames- LEES and ANDREWS
« on: Tuesday 31 July 07 02:30 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the ancestry of my great grandparents, Janet Wilson Lees born 1878 died 1964 buried at Kelso New Churchyard. She lived in the Kelso (11 Albert Place) around 1900. Before she was married she was employed by the Duke of Roxbough. She was married to a James Andrews who was the minister at Kelso Baptist Church 1907-1915. He was then a minister at a church in Dundee and one in Glasgow which I have been unable to find. HE died in 1937 IN Glasgow. I have no other information on them, but am very interested in finding names and dates about them and their families.
Hoping someone can Help.
Thanks Julie
Conway, Morrison, Andrews, Lees, Fenwick, Cowe (Scotland)

Offline Walcha72

• RootsChat Senior
  • Granny Dot - my great grandmother
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for surnames- LEES and ANDREWS
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 03:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie,

Assuming that James and Janet married in Scotland, their marriage certificate will have both sets of parents' names recorded on it.

You should be able to find the marriage certificate at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.  This is a pay per view site, but you can get the full certificate from there, not just an index.

Debbie
DICKSON, COWAN, ARMSTRONG, MARTIN - Roxburghshire
MITCHELL, MCCORMICK, CAMERON, CLEGG - Argyllshire
HOY - Essex, Australia
GRUNDY - Berkshire, Australia
ROPER - Hampshire, Australia
GILLIES - Aberdeenshire, Australia
BANKHEAD - Ireland?, Australia

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie

Janet Wilson Lees married James Smith Andrews, 1910, Canogate, Edinburgh.

As Debbie says, the full certificate can be viewed and downloaded from the Scotlands People site. It will cost 6 units (approx £1.20). This will give the names of both sets of parents.

Have you looked for any census information on either of them?

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline beenie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 August 07 00:01 BST (UK) »
hi Julie,
I found this on the 1881 census, must be yours
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

There is also a James S. Andrew aged 8 born Edinburgh, do you know when he was born?
Regards beenie
Milwain, Hill, McCracken, McCulloch, Chalmers, Kelly, McMillan, Shields, McClurg, Kirkmaiden and Stoneykirk

Offline julie333

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 August 07 00:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the information.  That is definitely the Lees family I'm looking for and it will be really helpful.  I'm not sure about James S. Andrew, don't think it's the same family.  Is there any thing on John Lees, George's grandfather, born around 1778 or a wife. I have had great help getting back to the names of George's parents - John Macdougall and Ann Lees born 1816 Oxnan Rox. I'm hoping to dig a little deeper and see if I can get any further back.
Thanks again
Julie
Conway, Morrison, Andrews, Lees, Fenwick, Cowe (Scotland)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 August 07 05:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie,

This is very confusing  :D  In your original post, you said you were trying to trace the ancestry of Janet Wilson LEES (later ANDREWS) b 1878 d 1964, and that you had no other information about her (apparently not even the names of her parents as they were not mentioned).  Walcha72 and Gadget both posted advising how to find the names of the parents of Janet and her spouse (i.e. download their marriage certificate from ScotlandsPeople); Gadget, in addition, downloaded the marriage reference for you.  But now you say you know who Janet's great-grandfather was ...

As has been indicated elsewhere, it helps RootsChatters to help you if you provide, in your initial post, all the information you have so that time is not spent duplicating lookups for (and typing them out and posting them) information you already have  ;)  And, for the same reason, it is a good idea to advise if - during the course of a thread - you obtain additional information either by your own research or from some other source.

Incidentally, are you aware that all of the Roxburgh-shire 1841 and 1851 censuses have been transcribed into FreeCEN at:
http://freecen.rootsweb.com

Regards,

JAP

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 August 07 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie

I have been going back before the 1881, looking at your Lees  :)

This is what I have so far. I hope it's not repeating info that you have:

2 Edenside Road, Kelso

District  793 ED 12 Page 27

George Lees, 34, porter (grocers), b. Eckford, Rox
Janet, 28, b. Linton
John, 9, b. Linton
George, 7, b. Linton
Jane, 5, b. Linton
Anne, 3, b. Kelso
Agnes N, 11 months, b. Kelso
William Wilson, boarder,  25, carter, b. Linton

Bankhead, Linton

District 796 ED 1 page 12

George Lees, hd, 24, Ploughman, b. Eckford
Ann Lees, mother, 44, ploughman's mother b. Oxnam
Jane Lees, sister, 6, scholar, b. Eckford

1851 - George is in the home of Andrew Dodds:

District 792, ED 1a page 20
Hardenpeel, Jedburgh

Andrew Dodds, hd,45, Farmer, b. Yetholm
(others)
George Lees, servant,  14, ag lab, b. Eckford

Anne is on her own in Eckford

District 787 ED 2 Page 4
Cavers, Eckford

Anne Lees, hd, unm,  37, ag labourer, b. Jedburgh

the family are at Broom Cavers, Exkford
District 787a ED 3a page 3

John Lees, 63, ag lab
Anne, 25,
Richard, 18
Richarson, 14
George, 4

all born county

I have not been able to find the baptism for either Ann(e) or George. I'll check up on a death for Ann(e) Lees. it might give some information on her mother.

Regards

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 August 07 13:59 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, how sad  :(

Ann Lees died May 2 1882, retired farm servant, Morebattle, Roxburgh, aged 70. Son George was the informant. Father John Lees, farm servant (dec) and Jane, maiden surname blank (dec)

I'll see if I can find anything at all on Jane. At least we have an approx DoB of John from the 1841 - circa 1778

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 August 07 14:12 BST (UK) »
I have managed to find a baptism 27 July 1827, Eckford Janet Lees, parents - John Lees and Janet Wight. This looks promising for Ann's mother.

Regards

Gadget