Author Topic: Why can't i  (Read 4459 times)

Offline william james

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Why can't i
« on: Wednesday 19 September 07 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
Why can't i cut and paste a marriage cert and include it with a post please.
If i try to pick it up from my desk top i end up with some of my desk top on as well, and i can't view what is there before i post it. Or am i doing something wrong.
Thank you
William James
Rice, Sadler, Cocksedge, Mulley,from Suffolk. Minter, Smith, Holding, Warcus, from London.Courtney, Smith, from Dorset. Pearl, from Suffolk/ Hampshire.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't i
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 September 07 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi William,

I'm not sure if this will answer your question, but it is not possible to attach an image on any of the look-up request boards.  Only portions of certificates and census images may be posted to avoid any potential infringement of copyright.

To attach an image, underneath the box in which I am currently typing this message, there is an arrow followed by the words: Attach a photograph or image (and other options)
Click on this to see the options and then use the browse button to locate the file on your pc.  If you preview the message then you have to re-attach the image before you save (quirk of the software.)

Hope that helps

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline william james

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 September 07 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I have found the browse box, but then do i type in the file name or attach it via the desk top please.
If i try to do it through the desk top i just get the desk top address in the browse box, not the name of the file with the cert in ?
Thank you
William James
Rice, Sadler, Cocksedge, Mulley,from Suffolk. Minter, Smith, Holding, Warcus, from London.Courtney, Smith, from Dorset. Pearl, from Suffolk/ Hampshire.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 September 07 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi William

I am not sure about the Desktop route, but if you click on Browse, you should be able to go to the folder and then the item that you have saved - the box will then "self-fill".

Gosh!  It is hard to explain!  Come over here and i will show you!!

Let's see - Click on Browse (a Dialogue box opens) Click down through the files - in my case I would go My Computer -> My Documents -> My Pictures -> Marr_Cert_1922.jpg -> click on Open (or something like that)   

;D ;D

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 September 07 10:05 BST (UK) »
Like what has allready been said about the copy right thingy. Try loading your pictures this way. Hope this helps you?
Migky ;)
iMAGE REMOVED A IT MAY INFRINGE COPY RIGHTS

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 September 07 10:14 BST (UK) »
Also if you need to convert one file to another( like PDF files to JPEGS) you could use this site. It's a bit long winded but it works and is of course free ;D ;D

Images removed as it may infringe copy rights

Migky ;)

Offline william james

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 September 07 10:46 BST (UK) »

Can you see the cert on here please

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 September 07 11:00 BST (UK) »
NOPE  :(  did you try my instructions?

Migky ;)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 September 07 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi william james  :)

At the risk of confusing you, there is a very simple way to attach images to a post on Rootschat.  I have included a screen grab on this message to show you exactly where to go and what to do (this is a different method from the one Migky has set out, in my opinion it is easier this way, but Migky might disagree!  ;D  ;)  )

In the image below, you will see "Attach a photograph or image".  You won't see the boxes below that heading until you click - once - on the heading itself.  Then the two boxes will come into view.

Once you can see the boxes, click on the "Browse" button next to the first box.  You will then be able to find the file you want on your computer, and double click it, press "OK" or "Add" in the window you're in (it's "OK" on my Mac), and you should then see a file name added to that first box on the Rootschat message screen.

Click "Post" and your image should load.

There are a couple of reasons it might not:
1)  It is too big (over 500kb) - if this is the case, you'll have to resize it using an imaging program.  If you haven't got one, let us know - many of us do have graphics software and can resize the image for you
2)  It has the same file name as an image already somewhere on Rootschat.  If this is the case, just re-name the file and try again.

I hope this works for you!   :D

Prue