Author Topic: Length of Messages  (Read 1796 times)

Offline JoMC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Length of Messages
« on: Tuesday 30 October 07 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I've just come across this quote in a thread:

Not surprisingly (!), my beastly summary has now exceed the maximum allowable number of characters  ::)

JAP

Please could someone tell me how many characters/words are allowed in one message?

JoMc
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Length of Messages
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Good morning JoMc

I wasn't aware that there is a limit on words for a post and have never come across that message.  Either there was a glitch in the system when JAP posted as there sometimes is, or there is a limit that very few people ever reach normally!

I would be interested to see if anyone can answer your question  ;D

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 08:58 GMT (UK) »
The limit is 5000 characters.

OK, perhaps not many people are so prolix!!  Though I have seen several instances where people have been obliged to split posts.

My comment was on a very complex - albeit fascinating - thread at:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,259529.0.html

I had posted a 'summary' back at post #96 on that thread and was trying to go back and edit it with updates when it reached the limit!  So I split it into two sections leaving part at post #96, and extracting the rest into post #144.

Regards,

JAP

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 09:00 GMT (UK) »

Hi JoMc and Kerry,

There definitely is a limit Kerry - this has happened to me before .. .. but not too often!  

JAP - just seen your reply.

Pels  :)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, I shall try not to reach the limit! It does seem quite generous though for most purposes!

Morning Pels!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline JoMC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 09:05 GMT (UK) »
I shall be brief then  :)

I had posted a 'summary' back at post #96 on that thread and was trying to go back and edit it with updates when it reached the limit!  So I split it into two halves leaving part at post #96, and extracting the rest into post #144.

Regards,

JAP

So a very long summary, JAP  ;D

Thank you for your replies.

JoMc

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 09:10 GMT (UK) »
So a very long summary, JAP  ;D

Indeed!  And of a very long and complex thread  ::)  As you will see if you look at it!

I was beginning to lose track and summarized the salient points for my own benefit.  But hadn't guessed there was so much more to come ...

JAP