Author Topic: Mary Lowndes and Henry Frith  (Read 2264 times)

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Mary Lowndes and Henry Frith
« on: Tuesday 13 November 07 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Mary Lowndes of Chesham, Bucks married Henry Frith of Dublin in Steyning, Sussex in 1869. Henry and Mary then went to live and have their family in Battersea, Surrey. I know all about Mary's Lowndes family, but am struggling with Henry's Frith family. His father was also Henry Frith. He was employed by the Ordnance Survey in Ireland. He lived in Dublin and would have been born between 1800 and 1820. He died some time between 1850 and 1869. Does anyone please know any more information about this Henry Frith senior?

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Lowndes and Henry Frith
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Was Henry senior deceased by the time Henry & Mary married then, as you give the latest date as 1869?  Do you  think he would be in Ireland until his death?  If so, it might be better to post the query on the Ireland boards.

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Henry Frith's father (Henry Frith) had indeed already died when his son married in 1869. He was certainly alive and living in Dublin in 1850, so he might have died there too.

Thanks,
Simon

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Seen your piece about Steyning
I have to point out that it was probably Steyning District rather than the village of Steyning itself. 

Given the social background of your ancestor, I personally feel you might have better luck looking at Preston or Hove, both of which were favourite locations in the Steyning district for the affluent.  Looks as though you are going to have to splash out and buy the certificate.
Roy G

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 08:16 GMT (UK) »
I already have the marriage certificate - that's how I know about Henry's father Henry being deceased by 1869. It doesn't tell me anything about his mother though.

Thanks,
Simon

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Was the Church or office in the Village of Steyning?
Roy G

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 November 07 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Mary Lowndes and Henry Frith were married on 25 May 1869 at the Parish Church in Hove in the Registration District of Hove in Sussex. Mary's father was William Lowndes, deceased, Gentleman. Henry's father was Henry Frith, deceased, Gentleman.

Simon