Author Topic: Census Look-up please. WARREN, New York City.  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Look-up please. WARREN, New York City.
« on: Friday 30 November 07 16:04 GMT (UK) »

I wonder if some kind soul on here would do a Census Look-up for me please?

Its for my Great Uncle:

Norman Claude WARREN, born about Feb 1906 in Lewisham, Kent, England. His father died of TB at the age of 34, leaving a young widow with 10 children to support...

She had to give up some of the children, & they were placed in children's homes.

Norman was sent to Canada by the NCH in July 1921 when he was 15yrs old & worked on various farms in Canada. However, he was unhappy in Canada & never settled, finding his way to the USA by 1929.

The last contact that the NCH had from Norman was in 1929, when he was living in New York City & hoping to find work as a taxi driver. He wrote to the NCH asking for a copy of his Birth Cert, saying that he was working as a waiter in a night club, & needed his Birth Cert for work purposes. They sent it to the last address he gave, but it was returned marked 'unknown'.

None of his relatives in the UK & Australia ever heard from him again...

I'm hoping that he will show up in the 1931 New York Census...
Any help welcomed!
Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Census Look-up please. WARREN, New York City.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 November 07 19:12 GMT (UK) »
I didn't have any luck with the 1930 Census, but if you haven't seen this already, you might want to take a look at the NYC marriage index:  http://www.italiangen.org/NYCMarriage.stm  There are two Norman C Warrens and a Claude Warren who seem to fit the time frame when he might have been in NY City.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 November 07 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for looking shellyesq,

I just took a look, & couldn't find anything...

Could you post the link please?

Also...just looked on Ancestry, & there's a 1965 Death Entry for a Norman C. Warren in California. I can't open it however, as I don't have World Membership:-(

Can anyone else see it?

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 November 07 19:44 GMT (UK) »
The Norman C. Warren on the California Death Index is listed as being born 4 Sep 1906 in Arkansas and his mother's maiden name was Dukes.  I'm assuming that's not your guy, unless Arkansas was wrong.

If you go to the link that I posted, go towards the bottom of the page where it says "Click Here" under "To Search New York Marriage Records", you can then enter your search information.

Offline Lambendsor (aka IGS)

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 November 07 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Try this link, too, for NYC marriages. I find it a little more efficient than italiangen.org (even though it accesses the same database):

http://www.stevemorse.org/vital/nymarriages.html?index=groom
ENDSOR: Tamworth/Manchester
LAMB: Leeds/Manchester
SMITH: Manchester
HOLMES: Kirk Ireton/Manchester
WORTHINGTON: Middleton/Manchester
SHORROCK: Manchester
BROOKS: Wilmslow/Knutsford
By marriage in Manchester: BAXENDALE, DODD, EYERS, FIRTH, FISHER, FO(R)STER, HARGREAVES, J(A/E)RVIS, McKEOWN, OSBALDESTON, PICKWELL, PODMORE, SCHOFIELD, SHALLCROSS, STONES, WALKER
GREY, DOYLE, GOLDEN, MONAHAN: Ireland
HAWE, FRENEY, NARY: Co. Kilkenny
DONOHO and variants: Co. Longford

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 November 07 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Try this link, too, for NYC marriages. I find it a little more efficient than italiangen.org (even though it accesses the same database):

http://www.stevemorse.org/vital/nymarriages.html?index=groom

Thanks for the Link.

I searched under Agnes King, & found a Marriage to a Norman C. Warren for 25th May 1930 in Manhattan. It could be the right one!!

How much does it cost to order a Marriage Cert from the USA? (I'm in England).

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 November 07 20:16 GMT (UK) »
The information is here on getting a marriage certificate from 1930 and beyond:  http://www.cityclerknyc.com/MarriageBureau/index.htm?RecordRoom.htm  It looks like it's $15, and I can't tell if there's any extra to get it sent overseas.   

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 November 07 20:24 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for the Link. I shall have a wade through!! :D :D

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline TheWombat

• RootsChat Extra
  • This above all: to thine own self be true ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 December 07 02:02 GMT (UK) »
I'm someone else who's seeking Uncles Norman and Ernie  ............ and I'm very indebted to Romilly for the work she's done on the search so far. Brilliant Stuff! :D

I also must add my thanks to shelleyesq and Lambendsor for their speedy and, it seems, very helpful responses.

I now wait with baited breath for developments.

With thanks & regards
The Wombat

P.S.  We'll talk soon Romilly.

P.P.S. If only we could locate Grandad William James as easily ................................................................
WARREN - Greater London
BREWSTER - Essex
GOSLING - Devon