Author Topic: Looking for Warrens sent to Canada by NCH, 1920's.  (Read 7108 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Looking for Warrens sent to Canada by NCH, 1920's.
« on: Wednesday 17 October 07 21:59 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help with this?

It's actually a very sad story:-(

My Great Grandfather, Ernest Henry WARREN, died of TB at the age of 34 in 1916. He left a widow, Amy Eliza WARREN with 10 young children, including twins, Graham and Alexander born in 1915.

Amy Eliza WARREN remarried in March 1918, (to an Australian soldier, J.B.Campbell) and they immigrated to Australia sometime in 1919.

Amy Eliza WARREN gave some of her children up to The National Childrens Home, UK and two of them,

Norman Claude WARREN, born February 1906 in Lewisham, Kent, UK and
Ernest Henry WARREN, born October 1907 in Hastings, Sussex, UK

were sent to Canada.

Norman Claude Warren arrived, aged 15 in Quebec in July 1921, and was then sent to Hamilton, Ontario. Family rumour has it that he was killed while serving with the RCMP, but we have no definate news of this.

Ernest Henry Warren was sent to Canada in March 1923, aged 15, and was then sent to Hamilton, Ontario.

Family in Australia and Uk would love to know what happened to these boys, and if they have any decendants.

Hoping that someone will be able to help.

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Warrens sent to Canada by NCH, 1920's.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 23:38 BST (UK) »
Don't see them listed here but you might be able to post their names & details on the site:
http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~marj/genealogy/children/queries.html

I researched a family a few years ago and it was also a tragic family story with several of the sons being sent away but the boys' children started looking for their fathers' family in U.K. and some of the branches did get together after so many years. Maybe there are Warrens in Canada looking for their English family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 October 07 01:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly,

Here is a link to the Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid, there is a Norman C. Warren buried in Yarmouth, County of Elgin  :-\

http://www.islandnet.com/cgi-bin/ms2/jveinot/search

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 October 07 07:27 BST (UK) »
If one of them was killed on duty in the RCMP, I'm certain the RCMP would have a record and would be happy to tell you about it.  Such deaths are always very public.  They probably have a roll of honour etc. on display somewhere. 

Their headquarters are in Regina, Saskatchewan, and they have some kind of museum in southern Alberta somewhere, I think.  You might consider inquiring about both names, in case there was a mix-up.  Someone who has online access to historical newspapers can probably find something too;  if you're in Canada, you may find this at a public library.  I found articles about a murdered rellie in the Toronto Star, indexed online at Toronto Public Library.  I already knew she was murdered, and her name, but didn't know when.  I think the index was broken down into chunks of time, and I just tried various chunks until I found her.  The murder of a Mountie is always national news.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 October 07 09:16 BST (UK) »

Thanks for the tips & Links Folks,

I will check them all out. Karen, that burial sounds a possibility...

Loo, I'm in SW Hertfordshire, UK & so don't have access to Canadian Libraries. I'll see if I can find a Link to the RCMP though.

I've written to the National Children's Homes HQ in London to ask if they have any records still existing on the Warren brothers. Apparantly they did keep track of the children that they sent to Canada for some time, & so fingers crossed that they will have some more clues.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 October 07 19:43 BST (UK) »
Try this: http://www.rcmp.ca/history/archives_e.htm  It sounds like you can get a record, if there is one, as it would certainly have been more than 20 years ago.

I've entered your query on my list of things I'm going to look up at the library one of these days.  I make no promises, as I know my limitations only too well!

If you do find something, give us the date, and then we can look it up in the newspapers more easily.

I note that there is a record of arrival in Canada at the Canadian National Archives site, http://www.collectionscanada.ca/index-e.html
Home Children (1869-1930)  Immigration Records.
Perhaps you have this already -

Name: WARREN
Given Name: Norman Claude
Ship: Megantic
Y ear of Arrival: 1921
Departure Port: Liverpool
Departure Date: 21 July 1921
Arrival Port: Quebec
Party: Dr. Stephenson's
Destination: Hamilton, Ontario
Comments: Each child on different film
Source: Library and Archives CanadaReference: RG 76, 30A Cards
Type of Record: Other Government of Canada records Group of Children Traveling Together

Name: WARREN
Given Name: Ernest Henry
Ship: Regina
Year of Arrival: 1923
Departure Date: 17 March 1923
Arrival Port: Halifax
Arrival Date: 25 March 1923
Party: National Children’s Home
Destination: Hamilton, Ontario
Comments: 54 lads. Names taken from 30A cards therefore each name is on a different film. See Notes field against each name for film numberSource: Library and Archives CanadaReference: RG 76 C 1 jType of Record: Other Government of Canada recordsGroup of Children Traveling Together

I think you will find a gold mine of leads here:
http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~marj/genealogy/homeadd.html
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 October 07 22:44 BST (UK) »

Many thanks for all the Links & info Loo, - much appreciated!!

My Mother's half brother in Queensland, Australia has just sent me the Immigration Records on his Uncles Norman Claude and Ernest Henry Warren. (He has done extensive research into the Warren family history, & would love to know what happened to these boys).

Looking at the NCH Website at:

http://www.nch.org.uk/information/index.php?i=195

They talk about access to records on children sent to Canada. I've written to them asking what records they hold on Norman & Ernest Warren, and will visit their London Office if they have anything relevant.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Many thanks for your offer of help, - it is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 October 07 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly,
Here is a link to the Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid, there is a Norman C. Warren buried in Yarmouth, County of Elgin  :-\
http://www.islandnet.com/cgi-bin/ms2/jveinot/search
Karen

Not my Warren unfortunately...this one was buried on the 23rd Jan 1905, aged 7years:-(
(So sad to see the burials of so many young children).

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 November 07 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Update to my last post...

After lengthy correspondance with the NCH, I have now been sent copies of their files on Norman & Ernest WARREN.

The letters from, & concerning the boys are in places quite harrowing & heart-breaking...:-(

The last contact that the NCH had from Ernest was in March 1928, when he wrote to them saying that he was travelling from Canada to Australia in the next few weeks. (However, none of his relations in Australia ever seem to have heard from him).

Their last contact with Norman was in 1929, when he was living in New York, USA, & wrote to them asking for a copy of his Birth Cert. He was hoping to get a job as a taxi driver, while working as a waiter in a night club. However, he didn't seem to have a permanent address, & the Cert was returned to the NCH...

And from then on...they seem to disappear...:-(

Romilly.
Researching: