Author Topic: KazzaQld Scavenger Hunt...Everybody Welcome To Join In.  (Read 13571 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
KazzaQld Scavenger Hunt...Everybody Welcome To Join In.
« on: Tuesday 08 January 08 12:11 GMT (UK) »

Hello and welcome to our regular Scavenger Hunt.  This week it's KazzaQld's turn and I'm sure you'll find this one very interesting.    It is a bit complicated, but I know you love a challenge.

Good luck...........and Good Hunting.

Louise or Louisa MABBLE story

Trying to find the parents of Louise MABBLE.

Louise was born in either Idle or Burley depending on which census you believe - 1861 has Burley, 1871 has Burley, 1881 has Burley, 1891 has Idle, 1901 she's back in Burley in Wharfedale - I think on balance we'll say Burley. I have looked on the www.calverley.info site which has quite a lot of Idle information – no MABBLEs at all.

I bought her marriage certificate; she married 25 Jul 1858 in the Parish church at Bradford to John PRESTON Widower, aged 45 - he's actually about 48 - father James – his father's name  squares with what I already know so that's good! I have John on the 1841 and 1851 census with his first wife and children from his first marriage.

But for Louise MABBLE Spinster aged 35 - this squares with census info - father's name is struck out.

Witnesses were Samuel HOLMES and Christopher GIBSON – they were church officials so no clues there.

That's about all on the cert, we know (assuming she's not lying) that Louise wasn't married prior to her marriage to John.

She is on the 1861 and subsequent censuses with her husband John, I have them.

On her daughter Eliza’s (my great-great-grandmother’s) birth certificate it says mother is Louise formerly MABBLE, wording which could imply that Louise was married before John PRESTON, but on the marriage certificate it clearly says Spinster.

I’ve looked for MABBLE, MABLE, NABBLE etc etc on the IGI, FreeBMD, YorkshireBMD – just to find any other MABBLEs in the area. The only one I can find on FreeBMD is a Margaret b. 1846 in Otley, so that’s the right area. I’ve toyed with the idea of buying this Margaret’s certificate, but I haven’t done it yet.

I bought the Burley in Wharfedale baptisms in booklet form. The only Louisa in the whole booklet is Louisa HARRIS, daughter of Adelaide, a spinster. She was baptised 27 Jul 1823 – so that age would fit for her to be my Louisa. I found a marriage for Adelaide in 1827 on the IGI to William FISHBURN and I found Louisa nee HARRIS with William and Adelaide on both the 1841 and 1851 census, as Louise FISHBURN, unmarried. So that would mean she’s still in contention to be my Louise MABBLE.

Adelaide was born in London according to the census, so maybe she got in “trouble” and was relocated to Yorkshire to give birth to avoid embarrassing the family?

But why was Louise using FISHBURN in 1841 and 1851 and then after that starts using MABBLE – if (and it’s a big if) I do have the right girl.

If anyone can think of any other ideas for uncovering her parents – let me know!

Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: KazzaQld Scavenger Hunt...Everybody Welcome To Join In.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible that for the marriage Louise's mother explained to her that she was not really a FISHBURN so she started to enquire into her parentage and was told that her father was actually called MABBLE?

Have you tried looking in London for a possible MABBLE or similar name?
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 15:02 GMT (UK) »

Not sure if this will help but on all the old birth certificates I have the mother is shown as "formerly";  the "formerly" being her maiden name.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 15:07 GMT (UK) »
this is frustrating, FreeBMD has one Mabble Marriage,and I can't find a Mabble on the IGI..
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Clutching at straws now,could Harris and Mabble been garbled somewhere along the line??
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Another tack!!!! is Margaret Mabble the illigitimate daughter of Louisa??

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Don't think this will help your situation but I have an identical 2 x great grandmother.
I since discovered in amongst my my grandmothers photos a letter with the correct maiden name. I can only assume the name she used on her daughters bith cert  (formerly Richards)  was her father's name.

jc

think you probably do have the right mother but its going to be hard to prove
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Louise says she was born in Burley or Idle, and you have searched Burley christenings and Idle info.
But she could have been christened in any other neighbouring parish.  village boundaries were often just a walk across a filed, and far flung cottages may well have been in one village but the nearest church was actually in another parish.
I have ancestors who were christeend in neighbouring Sussex villages, Poling, Ferring, Angmering, Lyminster, and there place of birth given on censuses is not necessarily the same as the village they weere christened in.

So - whilst I think that this Louisa Fishburn is a highly likely candidate, I think the first move is to search all neighbouring parishes (if any one is going to appropiate record office!) for a Louise Mabble christening.

Why do they make it sooooo difficult!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 15:35 GMT (UK) »
have you checked what happened to this Louisa Harris/Fishurn in later census/marriage/death?
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.