Author Topic: Help!- Trying to tie up a loose end on my Great Grandmothers 1st husband  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Barbaricbarb

• RootsChat Extra
  • The most interesting detective work there is!
    • View Profile
Hi there all!

I've been trying to follow what happened to a Wilf (or William) McGhie (or even Mackie) leading up to what I think is his death in 1897. (Reason being my G Grandmother entered her second marraige in 1898 as a Widow and also on my grandmothers birth cert her mother has both maiden, 1st married as well as second marriage surnames- so I'm assuming that her 1st husband died).

Anyway- so far I have managed to trace him through obtaining his marraige certificate (in Dover 1892 to a Fanny Goldby / Golbey / Golby - spelling changes throughout her life!!!) when he was a private in the 1st border regiment based there at the time. The 1891 census shows he was born in Cleator Cumberland and through that I managed to trace him to his family there in 1881 and 1871 census. So far so good......

I know that there is at least 1 other Wilfred / William McGhie (or alternate spelling)  in the county born at roughly the same time and am fairly confident that I have him traced upto 1901 census (a bit of a crosscheck so that I don't get them muddled).

So I go for what I feel is probably his death certificate so I can see if its him and why he died fairly young. Anyway I got that today and I'm now full of more questions!!!

So I've been trying to search for information about the Joint Counties Lunatic Asylum Garland St, Cuthberts without, as being his place of death that could be his burial place (I assume a bit of a pauper burial?- he also had TB). I haven't had much luck with that so far so would appreciate any help in pointing to any good sites that might have more info about it.

Also how can I try trace vaguely his steps between being in the regiment to apparantly being a fisherman in port of Carlisle (his documented occupation on the death certificate) to being nursed in the asylum? That is of course assuming that the death certificate I have got is the right person (the surname is spelt differently again!!!) and that I'm not mixing up 2 different people now? (There weren't any others on the BMD that I could see that would fit age and possible time period of death  - thats if he did die and that my ancestor wasn't telling fibs about him? I haven't found him on the 1901 census so I feel that his deceased status is right).

Sorry if anyone has got lost reading all that!! Any help would be greatly appreciated though.

Thanks

Barb

Girdlestone (Norfolk), <Warwick> Jones (Surrey; Essex), Anthony (Norfolk/Bucks), Moreton and Wingrove (Bucks), Brown, Hunt, Wilkes, Oakley, Cook & many more (Gloucester/ Worcestershire). Golbey, Puxty, Arnold, jones, Ballard, & many more (Sussex) McGhie (Cumberland to Kent) Weddle (Kent)

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help!- Trying to tie up a loose end on my Great Grandmothers 1st husband
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 March 08 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Joint Counties Lunatic Asylum Garland St, Cuthberts

This bit should actually read Joint Counties Lunatic Asylum, Garlands, St Cuthberts

There's a bit about it here http://www.mdx.ac.uk/WWW/STUDY/4_13_TA.htm
(Click the Cumberland link down the right-hand side).

Location map http://tinyurl.com/2wuufz

I suppose he would have been buried either at Garlands or at Carlisle Cemetery ... if the latter, you may find him here http://www.carlislehistory.co.uk/carlislecemetery.html
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline Barbaricbarb

• RootsChat Extra
  • The most interesting detective work there is!
    • View Profile
Re: Help!- Trying to tie up a loose end on my Great Grandmothers 1st husband
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 March 08 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi GeoffE

Thanks for that. I'll take a look at those sites.

The map was really helpful too.

I'm thinking that the only way I'll get to the bottom of at least his military history and when he was discharged is to go to Kew. It might help a few things fall into place - then again it may not  ???

Barb
Girdlestone (Norfolk), <Warwick> Jones (Surrey; Essex), Anthony (Norfolk/Bucks), Moreton and Wingrove (Bucks), Brown, Hunt, Wilkes, Oakley, Cook & many more (Gloucester/ Worcestershire). Golbey, Puxty, Arnold, jones, Ballard, & many more (Sussex) McGhie (Cumberland to Kent) Weddle (Kent)