Author Topic: Records closed for 100 years  (Read 14042 times)

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Records closed for 100 years
« on: Wednesday 30 April 08 13:32 BST (UK) »
I have seen a post on RC for a similar question to this but for the life of me I can't find it so I don't know what the outcome was.
I have just found out where the information is that would contain details of my mother being placed into a children's home. The records office concerned has all the records of hospital admissions and children that were taken into care for a certain hospital/poorlaw union/where she was born.
They have emailed me to say that the records are closed for 100 years from the date of the last entry. Mum was born in 1927 the last date of entry being 1941.
Is it possible to gain access to these records at all? I haven't emailed them back yet.
I was granted access to some naturalisation papers from the NA that should have been closed until 2029.
Mum is no longer with us but she would have given anything to find out why she was taken away from her mother.
Does anyone have any advise please?
Tina :)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Records closed for 100 years
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 14:29 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 14:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you Stan.
I think I will contact them in the hope that they will look up exact things for me. I have all the relevant dates. They can only say no. Fingers crossed.
 ;D

Offline Maggott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 15:32 BST (UK) »
I often wonder whether organisations (I'm NOT thinking about the censuses here) which refuse to make information available, or as in this case, impose arbitrary conditions, could be forced to divulge under the Freedom of Information Act.  I wonder if anyone has tried it yet?
Maggott     

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 16:02 BST (UK) »
There is some information on this site. http://www.rootschat.com/links/03c1/

Access to data on the deceased
We understand that many of you, particularly family historians, will wish to gain access to personal data that is less than 75 or 100 years old regarding an individual. Research undertaken for the purposes of family history does not satisfy any of the DPA’s exceptions because it is based on personal information regarding specific identifiable individuals. However the rights of an individual under the DPA end with death.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 16:38 BST (UK) »
I have seen a post on RC for a similar question to this but for the life of me I can't find it so I don't know what the outcome was.
I have just found out where the information is that would contain details of my mother being placed into a children's home. The records office concerned has all the records of hospital admissions and children that were taken into care for a certain hospital/poorlaw union/where she was born.
They have emailed me to say that the records are closed for 100 years from the date of the last entry. Mum was born in 1927 the last date of entry being 1941.
Is it possible to gain access to these records at all? I haven't emailed them back yet.
I was granted access to some naturalisation papers from the NA that should have been closed until 2029.
Mum is no longer with us but she would have given anything to find out why she was taken away from her mother.
Does anyone have any advise please?
Tina :)

The answer is very simple.
The information you require must be supplied to you under the Freedom of Information Act.
The Data Protection Act does not apply as your mother is deceased.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 21:03 BST (UK) »
I have done some further reading and it does seem I can apply to see the records in question.
I understand why they are kept closed, as we all do but there are allways circumstances.
Over the years I have put the pieces of the puzzle together to get an idea of what happened to my mum but it is just amateur detective work.
I know that the records in question would give me some answers so I think I should be allowed access.
Thanks everyone for your advice. I will contact them tommorrow and see what happens next.
I now it's what my mum would want and I intend to find out for her if not for myself.
Tina ;)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 May 08 07:57 BST (UK) »
Let us know how you get on, Tina!  By the sound of what Guy said, you should be able to get the information.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 May 08 09:34 BST (UK) »
I will MarieC.
I expect it will take a while. It took them over a week to email me back. At least I can put the wheels in motion.
Tina
 :D