Author Topic: Armstrong of Wigtownshire  (Read 30627 times)

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Armstrong of Wigtownshire
« on: Tuesday 24 June 08 07:22 BST (UK) »

Hi,

I am entering this Board rather apprehensively, because I don't want to do the wrong thing. First, I had to ensure that I was on the correct Board, and I believe that I am, because the individuals that I'm looking at are from places such as Inch and Stranraer. Secondly, I could see that people like Meg Greenwood and Randy Chapple had done an absolutely wonderful job, and so I certainly liked the level of expertise on the Board. Third, I liked the friendly feel to the Board, and that too is of great importance to me.

I have an area on my Family Tree that is causing quite a few problems, and quite simply, I need the assistance of others. On the plus side, I have all the time in the world on my hands, and a willingness to work alongside anyone. Because of a few health problems, I don't always dot all the "i's" and cross all the "t's" with regard to the work that I do. However, I'm a great listener!

Susan Armstrong was born on 10th September, 1848 at Stranraer in Wigtownshire. She married John Jackson Ferns, a widower, on 28th July, 1874 at 4 Windsor Terrace, Milton in Glasgow. Susan died on 15th May, 1895 at Kinning Park in Glasgow. Death Certificate details show that her father was John Armstrong, but the spelling of his wife's name is causing me a few problems - Flittin - Fleetin, etc, etc. Maybe I need to get a new pair of specs, eh? John married Susan Flittin - Fleetin on 15th November, 1836 at Inch in Wigtownshire. Twenty years later, John Armstrong died on 7th December, 1856, at the age of 48 at a place called Newton Stewart. His parents are given as John Armstrong and Elizabeth Little. His wife, Susan died on 17th August, 1870 at 3 Hanover Square, Stranraer, her age at death being shown as 58 years. The informant on the Death Certificate is her daughter, Susan.

That's it! I am up against that proverbial Brick Wall now. Certainly, I can give a few more sparse details such as detail from the Death Certificate for the 58 year old Susan Armstrong shows her father as .................. Fleet... and her mother as Dolly Fleetin, Maiden Surname, Black.

There are some who may criticise the way that I write and the length of the posting, but, what you see is what you get with this Old Buzzard! I do my level best to get the message across, which I don't think is a bad idea. How about you?

I look forward to hearing from anyone on this Board who is prepared to stretch out a friendly helping hand.

My very best wishes to you all, and I congratulate you on such an informative and friendly Board.

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrong of Wigtownshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 07:41 BST (UK) »

Hi!

Further to my previous posting, I was looking at an 1841 Census record that has caused me some interest due to the names of the individuals on it, their ages, and the location. I certainly don't want to make a bad start to my postings and breach any Copyright, thus raising the ire of the Moderator!

Piece: SCT1841/886 Place: Inch - Wigtownshire Enumeration District: 9
Civil Parish: Inch. Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: Inch.
FolioPage 7
Address: Village of Lochans.

ARMSTRONG   John     M   20   Agr. Labourer  born in Wigtownshire
ARMSTRONG Susanna  F    20                          born in Wigtownshire
ARMSTRONG William  M    1                            born in Wigtownshire
ARMSTRONG Robert  M     3                            born in Wigtownshire

I wonder what the connection, (if any), is to the John Armstrong who married Susan Fleetin - Flettin? on 15th November, 1836 at Inch in Wigtown.
Again, I would be absolutely delighted if some kind soul, (or souls), out there would be willing to give me a bit of a helping hand.

My very best wishes to you all,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 08:01 BST (UK) »

Hi!

Because of the brick wall that I have hit on my research of this part of my Family Tree, the thought crossed my mind that perhaps the family had originated in Ireland. I don't believe that this would be a crazy idea, since, in recent times, I have noticed connections to Ireland in other parts of my family.

Turning once again to the 1841 Census, I found an entry that shows quite clearly that some of the individuals on it did indeed cross over from the Emerald Isle.

Piece: SCT1841/895 Place: Penninghame-Wigtownshire Enumeration District:12
Civil Parish: Penninghame Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island -
Folio: 12 Page: 3
Address: Merton Hall West Lodge.

ARMSTRONG   John       M  35  Male Servant  Where Born:  Ireland.
ARMSTRONG Sarah      F   35                                              Ireland
ARMSTRONG Margaret F   14                                              Ireland
ARMSTRONG Janet       F   12                                              Ireland
ARMSTRONG Robert     M    9                 Born outside Census County (1841)
ARMSTRONG Hugh       M    6                 Born outside Census County (1841)
ARMSTRONG Catrine    F    4                  Wigtownshire
ARMSTRONG Eleanor   F     2                 Wigtownshire

Perhaps, other researchers of this family may find the details on these postings of some use to them - I certainly hope so.

My very best wishes to you all.

Tom.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

I note on Susan's wedding cert of 1874 that her father, John ,was down as a coachman (deceased).

This is the only family that I can find on the 1851 that seems to match. The age of Susanna is a bit out but it's worth throwing them into the ring. The image is very poor so i cant see the address very clearly:

Dunoon and Kilmun, Argyll
District 510 ED 1 Page 5

John Armstrong, 33, Coachman, b.Wigtown, Stoneykirk
Susanna, 33, coachman's wife, b. Wigtown, Portpatrick
Robert, 13, coachman's son, b. Wigtown, Inchporrick (?)
Susanna, 8, coachman's daughter, b. b. Wigtown, Inchporrick (?)
William, 3, coachman's son, b. Wigtown, Inchporrick (?)

It is quite possible that, as a coachman, he would have travelled around.

Regards

Gadget

Added - Inchporrick could be Inch parks to the west of Lochinch Castle
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 10:06 BST (UK) »
The Susan Armstrong born 1848 in your first message:

Susan Armstrong was born on 10th September, 1848 at Stranraer in Wigtownshire.

The only entry for that name and date in Wigtownshire Is:

10th Sept 1848, Susan Armstrong, Leswalt, Wigtownshire.

Parents - Robert Armstrong and Susan Armstrong.

So if you are chasing the Susan who married John Ferns, this is the wrong birth.  The marriage cert of 1874 clearly states John Armstrong, coachman and Susan, m.s. Fleeten or Fleeton, both deceased

I think this info gives  credence to the family in Argyll in 1851.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 10:19 BST (UK) »
Here's a photo of Portpatrick that I  took about 2-3 years ago. i don't have one of Stoneykirk  :)

You might like to check out the Wigtownshire pages:

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~leighann/index.html

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 10:27 BST (UK) »
A possible for the family on the 1841, which I see that you have mentioned in your second posting:

Lochans, Inch
District 886 ED 9 Folio 9 Page 7

John Armstrong, 20-24, Ag Lab
Susanna, 20-24
William, 1
Robert, 3

All b. Wigtownshire

I'm wondering if they got the ages confused on the 1851 or the first William died .

The only other family which Includes a Susan/Susanna in Wigtownshire on the 1841 is the one married to the Robert, mentioned in the previous message. Robert, 31,  was down as a coach trimmer (?), b. Ireland . On this one Susanna was 25-29 and b. Stranraer.

all very confusing  ::)

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 11:01 BST (UK) »
I don't see any birth/baptisms for children of John and Susan/na.

I've checked the Robert and Susan/na family on the 1851 and 1861. Robert is a fireman on a steam ship and was alive, but absent from home,  in 1861.

I think that we might have to concentrate on the 1851 Argyll family. John b. Stoneykirk and Susan/na b. Portpatrick.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 11:07 BST (UK) »

Inch
District 899 ED 1

Susan Armstrong, wid, 44, formerly sewer, b. Inch
Susan, dau, 18, domestic servant, b. Inch

This daughter Susan born circa 1843 seems to be the correct one. She was obviously 'economical with the truth' at her marriage  :o

Gadget