Author Topic: Spreadsheets help track Surnames  (Read 19031 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Spreadsheets help track Surnames
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 March 06 22:20 BST (UK) »
Not really relevant but I thought it might interest some ...

The contributions for the 1901 Leftovers are in excel spreadsheets.
I load them into excel (or OpenOffice) and save them as CSV-files (texts, seperated by commas) which I then upload to the 1901 site
I then use a PHP program I've written to save the data in a database

Anybody accessing the data on the 1901 leftovers site is then accessing a database.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline annaandchester

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 March 06 10:32 BST (UK) »
I have Access but dont know how to use it :'( so I use spread sheets

Anna x
McLeods - Hartlepool, Liverpool, Inverness(?)<br />Simpsons - Carlisle, Westmorland<br />Harris - Carlisle, Kent<br />Reads - Birmingham and Staffordshire<br />Allens - Marylebone London<br />Zych - Poland
Holmes - Bawdsey, Suffolk
Perks - Hampshire
McQueen - Carlisle
Carrick - Carlisle
Haugh - Carlisle
Irving - Irving
Collett - Bredon, Worcester
Harrison - Carlisle
Knight - Carlisle
Thompson - Carlisle
Johnstone - Carlisle
Rogerson - Dumfries and Carlisle
Wood - Ontario

Offline Stumped!

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 March 06 11:38 BST (UK) »
Microsoft have created a not very sophisticated genealogy program for use with Access but at least it allows the import of GED files, which is quite useful. It comes as a cab file (01076524.cab). Now if somebody could modify it so that was really useful........  :P
Peter

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 March 06 16:16 BST (UK) »
Gosh is that how you are supposed to do a family tree :o
Only kidding ;D  I never ever got my head round these family tree programs that you can buy i found them complicated to use,i like easy .I had three all bought by well meaning relatives tried all three over a time.I always ended up with an auntie or other relative being my grandmother ;D as for GED coms ::)they are great for quick reference as long as someone does it for me :) My Folders  (springbacks) read like a book from when i started in 2000.
Mum Married dad sort of thing,with a marriage certificate. Next the 1881 census with her dad and family on it, as a child, and naval records in between.Plus B.M.D records of both Grandparents.then filled up with printouts from the I.G.I and more census records.For my G.Grandparents,and so it goes on up the tree back to the late 1700.I also have all the letters i have been sent containing records and information.The tree is all in order by person and generation.This year i have been lucky enough to add even more photo of ancestors that were sent to me.These included their burial place's and the headstone. I cannot begin to imagine how i would get that lot a family tree program ??? ;D am i dense,no i like simple ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 06:04 BST (UK) »
I have certainly found Reunion 8 for Macs to be a good program and easy to use.  I haven't got too far with entering information yet, but it is working well and I haven't had to puzzle over much at all.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 10:02 BST (UK) »
That's my problem, I can set up wonderful databases and spreadsheets but the thought of entering in all the information I have defeats me!!!!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 14:09 BST (UK) »
Oh, I'm glad there is someone else with this problem!!  I was really keen to get this software, loaded it in with alacrity, made a start on entering data - and haven't done any more since!  It is such a HUGE task!!!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 17:02 BST (UK) »
That sounds a bit like my website, I have several blank pages that I am intending to put stuff on about the places where my family lived plus photos.  Have I done anything yet - no!!!!!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline macphail

• RootsChat Extra
  • Veni, Vidi, Visa - I came, I saw, I spent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 May 08 17:07 BST (UK) »
I started entering data in Excel about 5 years ago. It has its limits, 65,000+ rows per worksheet, so I'd need about 150,000 rows for a Master database.  I don't have MS Access so I'd love to hear of any alternatives.

If you're just starting, keep it simple (not what I did). One worksheet each for Births, Marriages, Deaths, Baptisms, Burials, Census etc.

I've just finished the GRO births & deaths for Sampson/Samson - a mammoth task during which time I found data missing due to trying to be too clever so I have to double check the whole lot to be satisfied of getting 100% completion. Theres still 45,000 rows of names though. Not bad going.

What I'm having trouble with is getting all that into a Gedcom. Nothing I've tried, works. I have to manipulate the columns and data so much I risk losing data. I have backups made.

Pete
Gedmatch A337659 FTDNA B123808

Sampson - Norfolk, Suffolk London, Uttoxeter, Stoke, Salford
Cockshaw + var; (Mc)Cawley - Swinton, Lancashire
Buckley - Manchester, Dublin, Pendleton (Salford)
Hogarth - Liverpool, Birkenhead
Parton/Pardon - Salop, Swinton, Lancs
Johnson & Rimmer - North Meols, Lancs
Hodson - Lancs