Author Topic: George Norris William Jones, blacksmith: Rotherhithe, 1817+  (Read 631 times)

Offline bmanson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
George Norris William Jones, blacksmith: Rotherhithe, 1817+
« on: Tuesday 19 August 08 22:25 BST (UK) »
Ah, the Jones family.  Looking forever for George Jones (b.c. 1794, Milton by Gravesend, Kent) was a blacksmith of Rotherhithe.  He married Ann Meloy in 1817 in Rotherhithe.  The marriage cert. shows his name as George Norris William Jones.  He and Ann had at least 5 children between 1817 and 1824, all born Rotherhithe:  Maria, Sarah (my gg grandmother), George, Alice, and Ann.
At Sarah's marriage in 1839 in Rotherhithe to Richard VINCENT, George was listed as witness and a blacksmith.
We think this is the family on the 1841 census:
1841  Census:  Plough Road, Rotherhithe
JONES  George - 45 - blacksmith
“           Ann - 45
“          George - 20 - blacksmith
all born out of the county.
HO 107/1067/8  - Sch. 43, Page 28

However, we have not been able to track George and Ann afterwards.  We think we have found Ann on the 1861 census living with her son-in-law's brother George:
1861 census:  8 Lonsdale Place, Kensington
George Vincent     48   Head Dom. Coachman    Wimbledon, Sry
Mary                         33                                          Brompton, Mdx
Mary                           6
Richard                       3                                          Chelsea
William                    1 mo.                                       Kensington
Ann Jones                  64    Widow                           Ewell, SRY

After ordering several wrong death certs., I have literally thrown my hands up with respect to FreeBMD, etc. (all are listed as simply "George Jones", except for a death of 6 year old Geo. Morris William Jones - who I cannot tie in to the family).

Any suggestions?  Please.

Brian
Edmonton, Alberta
MANSON.SURRY.LOE.WAUGH.McKAY.CHUBB.GLASSOP.MACKINTOSH.PEWTER.VINCENT.HARRISSON.WRIGHT