Author Topic: Urgent: Missing Hodge (Collins) Homechildren  (Read 24365 times)

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
Urgent: Missing Hodge (Collins) Homechildren
« on: Monday 25 August 08 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi RootsChatters,

In less than one month’s time, John Hodge, a 103 year old homechild, will be opening the refurbished Quarriers’ Maple Cottage at the Bridge of Weir. Such “cottages” were purpose built villas for large 'family' groups of children rescued from the horrors of the slums of industrial Scotland (mainly Glasgow) in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

John will be 104 on Christmas Day and although he is remarkably well, time is not on his side and he is hoping to discover the fates of his two homechild sisters, though it is unlikely that either is alive.

The sisters are Elizabeth Sinclair Hodge (b 25.02.1897) and Christian Victoria Hodge (b 16.12.1900). Both came to Canada on 24th May 1913 aboard the SS Grampian with their destination of Fairknowe, Brockville. They would have been placed in Eastern Ontario where they were visited by visiting officers from Quarriers. Elizabeth was visited three times and Christian eight. Unfortunately the reports of these visits no longer exist in Scotland as were destroyed when the Canadian end of the organisation closed. The last address from Christian (calling herself Christina) is in February 1919 when she wrote to Miss Quarrier at Bridge of Weir. She was then c/o W H Collins, Bank of Commerce, Kitchener, Ontario.

I already have researched the following:

LAC Homechildren Records which confirmed their departure from Glasgow on the Grampion and the arrival of their Quarrier party in Quebec 2 June 1913 with 89 children under Mr. D.J.Findley bound for Brockville ( Fairknowe Receiving Home).

No Quarrier duplicate archival records exist at either the Brockville Museum and archives of the LeedsGrenville GS or the Brockville Library.

There are no Hodges listed on the Fairknowe grave stone in the Brockville cemetery.

Because of the date of arrival, Census searches for Hodge in Canada are futile.

I have applied for searches for Hodge ( Collins) under the 1940 Canada National Registration  which enumerated all adults in Canada in 1940, but marriages may make this futile and there is a long wait for this valuable service.

Searches of marriage and death records have so far proved not too fruitful though there are some faint hopes:yesterday  I have eliminated a grave  for Christina Hodge at Greenhill/Lucknow in Huron County, Ashfield Township HU-3169; others to be verified for Elizabeth Hodge are at Woodland (Wentworth, Flamborough East HM-333-1), and Perth (Woodland Methodist, Mitchell Fullarton PH-661-X and Knox Presbyterian, Mitchell Logan PH-665-2). However, I suspect that all are too early to be our ladies.

Tracking the lead of W H Collins, Bank of Commerce, Kitchener, Ontario it is possible that one or, as was frequently the case, both sisters were indentured or adopted by a W H Collins:

The Bank of Commerce has refused to release any information despite the age of the account. This is a pity as we know that savings accounts were often required for the “wages” of indentured Quarrier homechildren.

All searches for the sisters have been done using Hodge and/or Hodge Collins surnames ( but again, marriages would be subsequent masks to discovery).

The best census match for Collins near Kitchener in the 1911 is William Henry Collins (40 b Feb1817), wife Alice (nee Durant 42 b Oct 1868), son Lawrence (17 b Mar 1894), and daughter Laura (4 b Oct 1907). He is a Methodist farmer of Irish ancestry. By 1913 both be would be approaching 50 and in need of help on the farm and in the house. Two other more remote Collins candidates are in Renfrew and Toronto West.

All subsequent tracking of W H Collins and his family has failed despite some promising but old phone numbers in the Peterborough district.

Son, Lawrence D Collins married Maud May Smith (21) in Simcoe, Norfolk County Methodist Church on 26 May 1915  with witnesses Lily Davis and Ansley Silverthon.

This detail on Collins is given in the hope it may make a connection with any Rootschatters’ families.

Any help in tracking the Hodge ladies would be most welcome!

Thanks very much, Lumber-Jack
Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Urgent: Missing Hodge (Collins) Homechildren
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 August 08 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Lumber Jack

Wow, Mr. Hodge would be wonderful to talk to 103, the stories he would have.

So he never ever heard from his sisters again  :'(

So, the letter in c/o WH Collins at the Commerce Bank, if Mr. Collins was a banker do you think in 9 years he would go from being a farmer to a banker?

Does it give the address of the Bank in Kitchener?  Does that branch still exist?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 August 08 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi again Karen , I had assumed that Collins was a farmer with a bank account at the Bank of Commerce. Townsend is not too far from Kitchener. Collins could of course have been a banker or any other customer of that branch which at the time would have been the only one in town. But I cannot find any W.H.Collins in the 1911 Census actually in Kitchener and the one I found in Townsend seems to fit the Quarrier profile for "adopting" homechildren ( famer, protestant, literate, needing help). But I may be way off base on all of this Collins connection EXCEPT that we are sure that Christina wrote c/o of him in 1919. Also, iIf she had married him by 1919 she would have said so and not used her maiden name. I also looked for the marriage of Collins'daughter Laura just in case one of the sisters was a witness, but could not find it.
This is a tough nut to crack.
Best wishes...it is good to hear from you....Lumber-Jack
Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 August 08 13:57 BST (UK) »
Christina could have had a bank account and used the bank for a mailing address, especially if she lived outside the town where mail deliveries weren't too reliable and she would have checked at the bank for her post when in town.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 August 08 16:15 BST (UK) »
Grrr, I've lost internet at my house  >:(  I'm at a friends business right now  ;D

Townsend is about an hour drive from Kitchener, so I wonder why they would go all that way to do banking when there would be other banks closer, I believe you could even have travelled through Brantford to get to Kitchener  :-\

I wonder if there are Vernon directories for kitchener which might help?

K
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 August 08 16:21 BST (UK) »
I agree Aghadowey,
 Which is why it is such a shame that the Bank cannot release the info. I thought that W.H .Collins might have set up the account for her along with his own farm accounts. If , on the other hand, there was a W.H .Collins as a bank employee I would have hoped for a record on the 1911 Census though perhaps this is too early for a 1919 employee. The Bank holds the key. Either way, it means that she was in the Kitchener hinterland in 1919 and it is likely that her sister was too as Quarriers' tried hard not to split up siblings. Does anyone know whether Collins was a Director/Manager of the Kitchener Bank of Commerce in 1919? That would help decide whether or not farmer Collins is a red herring. I think there was only one branch of the Bank in Kitchener at that time.
Thanks
Lumber-Jack
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 August 08 16:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Karen, I am not sure....I agree that I am clutching at straws but it is because I could only find one WH Collins in the 1911 Census that fit close to Kitchener! There could be reason to bank there too....family tradition, farming objectives etc. BUT  thanks....I need to get a look up in Vernon directories. Can anyone help? Thanks, Lumber-Jack
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 August 08 17:05 BST (UK) »
I'll be in the Kitchener area on Wednesday, if you havn't gotten anywhere I can go to the library.

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 August 08 18:03 BST (UK) »
Ok, got the information from the Vernon Directory

In 1919

Walter H. Collins, Manager of Canadian Bank of Commerce
100 Queen Street North, Kitchener, Ontario

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England