Author Topic: Mysterious Richard Cork(e) from Kent  (Read 48091 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Mysterious Richard Cork(e) from Kent
« on: Monday 03 November 08 18:38 GMT (UK) »
I have not been able to resolve to my satisfaction a mystery in my family concerning the Richard Cork(e) mentioned above, and wonder if anyone here can give me some suggestions.

My Great Grandparents were married in June 1887 in St John's Wood.  My Great Grandmother's maiden name is shown on the certificate as Victoria Adelaide Barham, and her father as Stephen Barham, labourer.

My Great Grandfather, John James Pay, Victoria's husband, was a Metropolitan Policeman, and evidently a great note-taker, and he left a notebook which clearly states his wife's birthdate as 25th March, 1865, in Kent.

I was completely unable to find her birth reference until someone tracked down the birth, in the correct quarter, of a Victoria Adelaide CORK, in the correct place, and I have subsequently proved via her birth certificate that Victoria's mother was, at the time, not married to Stephen Barham, but to a Richard Cork.

Victoria Adelaide's birth certificate from March 1865 at Ightham says she is the daughter of Eliza Cork (formerly Miller) and Richard Cork, seaman on HMS Victoria.

I then found Eliza Miller and Richard Cork's marriage certificate:
October 1864 (she was pregnant), at the Wesleyan Chapel, Sevenoaks.
Eliza Miller aged 20 (incorrect, she was 18), and Richard Corke aged 23.
Richard Corke is shown as a Seaman, father Richard Corke Labourer.
Both parties resident in Seal, Kent.

I have Richard Cork in the 1861 Census, I am fairly sure:
Richard Cork, aged 19, born Goodham, Kent
Ordinary Seaman, 2nd class,
Britannia
Vessels
Portsmouth.

I have Eliza Miller and her parents, who came from Seal, through the censuses, and I also have her birth certificate, showing she was born in Seal on 21st November 1846.

But I have not been able to find any further details of Richard Cork, or his father.  I am most interested to find Richard Cork junior in 1851 - it may be that his correct place of birth is Gooden Green, Kent, which is very close to Seal.

It may also be that his father is the Richard Corke born in 1812 in Stone, Kent - this Richard was living in Seal in 1861 and perhaps had a son visit him and make the acquaintance of a young Eliza Miller?  I cannot see this Richard in 1851 either.

To prove the relationship, and to take this line further, I need to find the 1851 entry for both of them, and, ideally, Richard junior's birth reference.

I have looked extensively, with no results.

I know that I also need to visit Kew to find out what happened to Richard junior after his marriage and the birth of his daughter - by the 1870's Eliza was living with Stephen Barham, and had had a child in early 1870 who was registered as Stephen's daughter.

However, although Eliza and Stephen had many children, I can find no trace of a marriage for them, and also it would appear that Victoria Adelaide and her husband were not aware that she was not Stephen Barham's daughter.....which might imply there was some scandal to be covered up.

Can anyone give me any clues to Richard Cork(e) in the 1851 Census, or a birth reference for him in a place which might be rendered Goodham, Kent?

many thanks for any suggestions!

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious Richard Cork(e) from Kent
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 November 08 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just wondering if you have seen this post where a Rootschatter has a mysterious Daniel CORK(E) with Seal connections and with a supposed father Richard whom we couldn't find in the 1851 census either ???  I thought it interesting that Daniel had a daughter, Adelaide :-\

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,304340.0.html

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 November 08 19:53 GMT (UK) »
I wonder when Richard CORKE joined the navy.

The National Archives documentsonline has service records for those joining the navy from 1853 onwards but the only Richard CORKE that I can see was born 1880 Tonbridge.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 November 08 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Here is  a Richard Cork in 1851 -

1851 HO107; Piece: 1617; Folio: 444; Page: 42

10 Portland Place Maidstone

Richard Cork widower 55 yrs milkman b Kent Whickbury (?)
Sarah daur 13 yrs
Henry son 12 yrs
Emily daur 8 yrs
Lewis John Rose visitor 4 yrs

children all born Maidstone

I wonder if it's him because in 1891 RG12; Piece: 674; Folio 47; Page 2
Richard Corke 79 yrs b Stone is with a daughter Sarah Dalton 55 yrs born Seal.

(No Richard and no Daniel though)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 November 08 19:58 GMT (UK) »
not at all sure now having read the link to Daniel  ???

1841 HO107; Piece 490; Book: 2;  Folio: 40; Page: 26

has Richard Cork with wife Maria and a host of children in Maidstone

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 November 08 20:05 GMT (UK) »
The National Archives documentsonline has service records for those joining the navy from 1853 onwards but the only Richard CORKE that I can see was born 1880 Tonbridge

I couldn't see him either but the online section is not yet complete for 1853-1872 with the remainder expected to be online next year so it could be that he is yet to be added :-\

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 November 08 20:26 GMT (UK) »
There are a whole lot of Corkes born Seal here in 1851

HO107; Piece: 1613; Folio: 22; Page: 3

These include a Richard born 1846 but his father is Benjamin.
There is also a Richard born 1800 brother to Benjamin with his family.
This Richard is a draper and Benjamin is a carpenter.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 November 08 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your suggestions.  I have PMd the Rootschatter seeking Daniel Cork(e) as that seemed to be too much of a coincidence to ignore!

Heywood, I am most interested in your 1851 Maidstone Richard Cork, and will have a good look at him.
Although where on earth was Whickbury?

Thanks also for your identification of the Corkes of Seal......I had turned them up before, but none of them seems to be related to Richard Cork(e) seaman OR labourer.  They seem to have gone up in the world.

I have looked through the entire Seal Census page by page for 1851 (and 1841 too) because I couldn't believe that Richard Corke senior (and junior for the later census) weren't there......

There may well be a link with the other Cork(e)s, but without a birth ref or earlier census I can't link them up!

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 November 08 20:49 GMT (UK) »
I had forgotten to mention that I had previously followed through Richard Corke, 1812 Stone, Kent through the censuses (to see if a son Richard popped up anywhere!).

He seems to have been married several times.

In the 1861 in Seal you can see his second wife Jane (maiden name not known) and children Eliza, Alice and Elizabeth.  He had another child with Jane, Mary Anne, born 1862.

James and Jane Corke were the elder children, born to his first(?) wife, and I can also track down some other children Sarah (1837) and Stephen (1851).

In the 1871 he is in Offham, where the family are transcribed as Cocke, and Stephen pops up with the other children.

I can't see any of the children in the 1851, but interestingly Stephen Cork(e) who was born around that time has a birthplace noted as Wisley, Sussex.  So I wonder if the family were actually out of county for the 1851. 

Sarah Corke and Jane Corke, the eldest children I can see were, however, born in 1837 and 1843 in Seal and Ightham respectively, so the family should really have been in the Seal area for the 1841.

In the 1881 he's in Trottiscliffe, aged 68 with another wife, Mary Ann (Swaisland), and his daughter Mary Anne and her child.

And in 1891 as has been said, he's in Sundridge with his eldest daughter, Sarah, who is on her second marriage to James Dalton, having been previously married to a Peter Louder/Lawder/Lowder

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London