Author Topic: Cassells/McCorry surnames  (Read 2602 times)

Offline goof

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cassells/McCorry surnames
« on: Friday 14 November 08 11:22 GMT (UK) »
My maternal great-grandmother was Mary Anne Cassells, the England census of 1881 she appears as born in 1855 in Limerick. I have her marriage certificate for 05/10/1872 when she married David Seaman in St.Michael's Church, Limerick. Her denomination is stated to be Church of Ireland. Her father was John Cassells.
Searching for her birth I can only find a Mary Cassells, father John Cassells, born to Catherine McCorry 06/08/1855, address Analoist, Shankill, Lurgan, Co.Armagh, denomination Roman Catholic.
Not being acquainted with Irish religion, etc., does anyone think that this could be her?
Is there a credible reason for the move from Armagh to Limerick?
All comments welcome.
Thank you.
Geoff.Charge
Charge, Gray, McCorry. Essex,Suffolk, Ireland (Armagh)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cassells/McCorry surnames
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 November 08 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Here's a link on previous post about Mary Ann:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=339829.new
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff

My Cassells ancestors were from Annaloiste. I have records of many named Mary but none fit the birth year of 1855 plus father John.

In the Griffith Valuation list of 1864 a Catherine Castles was living in a house located behind that of James and William C. in Annaloiste.  Catherine C. was leasing this house from McLinden.   

The family were protestants and no connections with Limerick that I know of.

Will see if any further info available..

Cheers  David
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart
Co. Mayo: Layng, Fulton, Ruxton
Co. Kerry: Nash
Co. Dublin: Ruxton, Layng, Kelly, Wilson, Shea, Askin
Galway: Abbot

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Goof- civil registration of births in Ireland started in 1864 and not all baptism records for earlier dates survive.

David- a Mary Cassells married Robert Dalzell and had at least 3 children: twins Robert John and Mary Anne (1871) and William James (1873). Address in 1928 was Carnagh, Keady Armagh. Have information on descendants of Mary Anne if you are interested.

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi aghadowey
That would be interesting, though unlikely to be related to mine, its possible and handy to see who's who.
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart
Co. Mayo: Layng, Fulton, Ruxton
Co. Kerry: Nash
Co. Dublin: Ruxton, Layng, Kelly, Wilson, Shea, Askin
Galway: Abbot

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Will send PM.