Author Topic: 19th Century Papers lookup offer - discussion  (Read 2569 times)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
19th Century Papers lookup offer - discussion
« on: Sunday 11 January 09 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Moderator comment: discussion arising from this post:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,352589.0.html

Gary
a lot of us have access to the paper this way,I only found this out myself 2 weeks ago when gale went offline.So i too now have access as does anyone else who is a member of a library,College or university,apparently the paper plus other thing have been available for a long time,via your bar code number.I have been i library user for many many years and i didn't know that till a rootschat member told me 8) You haven't been keeping up with the topics have you ;D

Celia

Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Hodgkiss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
19th Century Papers lookup offer.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 January 09 16:13 GMT (UK) »
actually, it doesnt apply to everyone who is part of a library. Only certain Councils signed up for it. My library in wolverhampton doesnt do it, also all the librarys in the surrounding areas dont do it also.  

So yes i have been following it. Mabye you havent.

I was merly offering to look up for people who do not have access to it in their Council Area. Or who are not at university. Which is a huge amount.  Which is why i opened up a new post.

Mabye i shouldnt have bothered
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 January 09 16:38 GMT (UK) »
it doesnt apply to everyone who is part of a library. Only certain Councils signed up for it.

Sorry,I did mention that on another post actually,sorry to have interupted you.I will now delete my post.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 January 09 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Name and shame the mean councils who won't fund this - I'll start with mine - Medway, who won't fund a lot of things that they should, but hey, if they won't do basic stuff like repair the roads why should they fund access to Gale ?  >:(

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline Hodgkiss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 January 09 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Well i think its important on here for people to give the right facts. Otherwise alot of people will miss out on valuble imformation on their familys past.

Anyway. Back to the original pupose of the post.

For those who DON'T have access to this. Let me know and ill be more than happy to help anybody out. You never know what will be found ha ha  ;D

Offline Hodgkiss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 January 09 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Name and shame the mean councils who won't fund this - I'll start with mine - Medway, who won't fund a lot of things that they should, but hey, if they won't do basic stuff like repair the roads why should they fund access to Gale ?  >:(

Carole

lol i know what you mean. The road near me are terrible. So like you say if they dont fund the road they definatly are not going to offer us some newspapers  :D

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 January 09 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Well, I have been very intrigued by this site, (from reading all the posts!)  and as I am living in Ireland, DON'T have access...but I'm not sure what exactly you can look up there?

What kind of details would you need to do a search? 
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline Hodgkiss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 January 09 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hey Daisy loo,

There are two papers listed for Ireland which you can search. they are :

Belfast News-Letter
Dublin Freeman's Journal

If you had any full names and area's they are from, poss even streets. I can take a look, and if the name appears for the area i can try and whittle it down with you to see if its the person.

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 January 09 18:46 GMT (UK) »
I have just discovered via another Rootschat post, that if you access google books (which you do by clicking on "more" which is on the same bar as "images", "maps" etc, then clicking "books") and you put in your ancestor's name, location etc, you will get a list of publications with that word in.  These publications include magazines, papers, books etc.  You may then be able to read a relevant article.  This afternoon, I found a death notice from 1818 for my 5xgt grandfather, a vicar, with reference to his son "a French Teacher in Carlisle"!!!  See how useful it could be.

Daisy Loo, this is similar to the information you can sometimes find on the Gale Newspaper archive mentioned above - put more or less anything in and search and you'll see what I mean.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway