Author Topic: James Freeman b1835 Eng, transported 1860 on Norwood.  (Read 1741 times)

Offline flogged

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Freeman b1835 Eng, transported 1860 on Norwood.
« on: Tuesday 17 February 09 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
would like to find info on James Freeman b1835,
was convicted of larceny in 1860 and transported to Fremantle West Aust 1861
it seems he may have missed th 61 census, anything on him and family before would be great.
Freer, Stewart, Blair, Bruce, Wylie, Henderson, Nichols, Ward, Weddell, Waddell, Lear, Gruneison, Maitland, Freeman, Sawyers, Logan, Phillips, Whitely.
and several others.

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Freeman b1835 Eng, transported 1860 on Norwood.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

He should be on the 1861 census as the Norwood with James Freeman onboard didn`t arrive in Freemantle until June 1862.  Unfortunately most prisoners in Jail were just listed under their initials.   :'(   It is possible he was one of the two J.F. s, both born Ireland listed in Manchester City Gaol but..........  he could have been anywhere. 

I did have a look at the Manchester Newspaper and found that he attempted to steal a silver pocket watch.  It didn`t say where he was living though. 

Regards,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline flogged

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mo,
As we all know from trying to find the right records, it can be confusing and time consuming especially if you only have initials to go on, but I have the marriage certificate and death certificate, also I did find in IGI with his wife that James was born at Salford Man 1835 and died 11 Nov 1881 in West Aust.
I am attempting to find his family before him, all we have is name of James' father being James and he was a gunsmith.
Freer, Stewart, Blair, Bruce, Wylie, Henderson, Nichols, Ward, Weddell, Waddell, Lear, Gruneison, Maitland, Freeman, Sawyers, Logan, Phillips, Whitely.
and several others.

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Flogged                                                                             

Have a trawl through the Gazette lots of hits for James freemans not all yours of course.Just type the name in (with the exact Phrase) and pick the years of interest.You never know what you might find, a few snippits hopefully

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/AdvancedSearch.aspx?GeoType=London

Celia

Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Keengeni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Flogged

Perhaps you could detail from IGI the 1835 birth record for James FREEMAN with father James at Salford, Manchester.    I can't seem to find one.   I did find an extracted baptism record for a James FREEMAN on 24 Jul 1836 at St Peter's Liverpool with parents Robert and Rebecca. The submitted record with spouse Ellen BURNS and details the 24 Jul 1836 baptism date as a birth date.

Similar request
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=361648.msg2382424#msg2382424

There an an Ancestral Record which does not give any sources for the Salford 1835 birth.  Perhaps guessed from his convict record.
Bearing in mind - Ancestral File is a collection of genealogical information taken from Pedigree Charts and Family Group Records submitted to the Family History Department since 1978.  The information has not been verified against any official records.  Since the information in Ancestral File is contributed, it is the responsibility of those who use the file to verify its accuracy.

K.