Author Topic: Looking for Christmas  (Read 5767 times)

Offline Ken aspinall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Christmas
« on: Friday 10 April 09 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi all newbie here,

I'm looking for help locating a relative who was one of the Barnados boys in 1893.

Christmas Aspinall was born in Liverpool, England June 18 1878. The son of Robert and Elizabeth.

He was one of 5 children. In 1893 after the death of his father (Mother died earlier) he and brother Peter were shipped over to Canada on the SS Labrador arriving in spring 1893. I have traced Peter Aspinall and have located lots of new relatives living in British Columbia. CHristmas is a bit more of a mystery, I have found the record of Christmas who has now changed his name to Christopher. He married Lillian A Mackenzie in York on 15 October 1900. I can't find any other traces of him through Census from Canada and would be interested if anybody could help.

Also his younger sister Mary is understood to have gone to Canada around the same time but I have no information on her after the 1891 England Census when she was aged 7.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 April 09 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,
          just welcoming you  :)
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 April 09 21:15 BST (UK) »
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 April 09 21:16 BST (UK) »
Or maybe not,you say he married in 1900...

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 April 09 23:32 BST (UK) »
Actually, Hepburn, you found him. The entry was mistranscribed as the image indicates that Chris was married. A couple of lines before him is the listing for Lillian A. Mackmin. Her birth date matches the entry from the 1911 census and the census indicates that she was married. As well, on the marriage registration for Chris and Lillian, Lillian's father is named Alfred and the head of household for that entry was named Alfred.

Here is a link to the 1911 Canada census image at Library and Archives Canada that has a Chris and Lillie Aspenell living in Toronto:
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1911/pdf/e002028600.pdf
They have no children with them. As well, I couldn't find any Aspinall birth or death registrations connected to Chris in the Ontario databases at Ancestry.

There is a passenger list entry for a Mary Aspinall who arrived on the Canada in Halifax on 15 Apr 1910 and then in Portland, Maine on 16 Apr 1910. Her destination is listed as being Alberta. Here's a link to the passenger list at LAC (line 11):
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e145/e003621929.jpg

I found her on the 1911 census in Raymond, Alberta. Here's a link to the census image at LAC (line 40):
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1911/pdf/e001930106.pdf

There is a 1901 census entry in Everton, Lancashire that has the following family:

Robert Aspinall, head, in army, born Wales - written after that is NK (presumably "not known")
Mary Aspinall, sister, 16, born Liverpool
Elizabeth Aspinall, wife, 20, born Liverpool
(Piece: 3480; Folio: 170; Page: 43)
This is the order that it is on the census however there is a mark indicating that Elizabeth and Mary's orders should be reversed. It is possible that the birth place of Robert is incorrect on the census. I see from the 1891 census that there was a brother named Robert who is the right age to be this Robert.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 April 09 01:38 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/061m/  BHC
The other with that surname on the1893 ship's list transcription was a Lucas, could that have been Christmas/Christopher?
Keep us posted, as I have added them onto the Homechildren resource board...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 April 09 13:10 BST (UK) »
Oh yes,the Lucas entry they weren't sure of the name.

Offline Ken aspinall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 April 09 18:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all that helped me graet support here.

Ok Hepburn that is indeed Christmas on the 1901 Census, and I had seen that one before but for some reason I must have not saved it, I'll add that to him in my GED now.

Jacqui in Canada. Thanks for that link I didn't think of looking foe misspellings of the name that is indeed Chris and Lilian, I'll have to wait until the next census to see if they had any children.

The Mary that you offered I am a bit dubious about, if she sailed over in 1910 where was she for the 1901 Census. The age is out by 2 years that ships record makes her 2 years older than she was but this could be an error on the 1891 Census, unfortunately the 1901 census you found Mary and Robert on is not the correct one I too saw that but I have Robert on the 1901 Census still in Liverpool and with his wife and children one of whom was my grandad. So I need a little more clarification on the Mary you provided before I add her but thanks so much for your input.

J.J I know the it looks like lucas but if you look closley it is actually Cmas abbreviation of Christmas, the ages are correct

Thanks for all your help

Ken

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 April 09 02:07 BST (UK) »
thanks for clearing that up, as I didn't look at the image... ;D
Mackmen/Mackmin may be the right surname,  births for Alfred James & Jane Elizabeth Setter are transcribed as MacKmin, MacKnin...Jane Elizabeth Setter's marriage (1870 Lambeth) has 2 missing on page....Don't the daughter Eliz. either...(egads)
Unless she's Mashman.....orMcMann, McMann, MacMain, McMinn, McMahon well, you get the idea...
Anyway, here's the name  for the family  in 1881...    St John's Ward, Toronto, York, Ont.
Alfred Mackmen age 32 born England & wife Jane Eliz.  age 31 born England / C of E 
Eliz. -10  born England..rest b. Ontario ...Frances-8 ...Alice N.- 6....Alfred -4.... Lilly- 1

However Birth Dec quarter of 1848 has an Alfred James Mackmin...(  St Leonard vol.2   p.281 )
( added:  ahh..IGI also has him christened Finsbury, London as Mackmin...)
Young Alfred is Mackmin in 1891 toronto....mother Jane died as Mackmin ..1903 directory, Toronto Mackmin A. J.
so this spelling looks to have pole positon....

added: IGI has an Ontario birth entry...seems to not be just a submission for Lillie Anne Mackmin
Aug 1st 1880   Whitby, Ont  -  parents Alfred F Mackmin & Jane Setter
and also the birth 1890 of NELLIE not of another Lillie...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com