Author Topic: BLONG or BLANC of Portarlington  (Read 22220 times)

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
BLONG or BLANC of Portarlington
« on: Wednesday 15 April 09 20:54 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any connections to the Blongs (also written Blanc) of Portarlington, Laois.

The family were Huguenots, Le Blanc, and gradually the name altered. Even in official records it varies both with inscription and transcription.

I am trying to sort out the relationships of my direct ancestor, George Blanc. I give below a tree, can anyone add or clarify anything on the Blongs of Portarlington
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BLONG or BLANC of Portarlington
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 April 09 16:14 BST (UK) »
Ronnie Matthews is the expert on that and is in Portarlington, a 'Huguenot' town.

Just type in Ronnie Matthews, Portarlington and his home page will come up.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 April 09 19:25 BST (UK) »
There were two families of Le Blanc in Portarlington about 1699, that of  'Le Noble Homme Louys Le Blanc, Sieur de Perce, Capitanie pensionne' and Claud Le Blanc, "boucher". The latter family were still existing under the name of " Blong" when Sir Erasmus Borrowes wrote. This change of name seems to have been early effected, for Peter " Blang" places a tombstone to mark the burial-place of his family in 1756, and was laid there himself three years later. Elizabeth Phelan, his daughter, was also buried there, from which it would seem that they, unlike most of the early colonists, married outside the French stock.
Theodore Le Blanc, minister of La Rochelle, who was attained in 1685 for having received a 'relapse' into his Church, and fled to Denmark, was, Sir Erasmus Borrowes states, probably of the same family as La Blanc, " the gentleman". The name however, seems to have been localized elsewhere in Ireland at the same time. for an Andrew and a Mark Le Blanc, merchants from Ales, took Oaths and received their naturalization in Dublin in 1704. It is still extant in Portarlington.

(To add a sad note to that, a man named, Jim Le Blanc was kllled in a car accident on the 12th May 2008 in Portarlington, and left a wife and children)

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 April 09 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the info. It is a small world with the Blongs - I have been in touch with Ronnie Matthews for  number of years, and met him in Portarlington in February.

Ronnie & I have exchanged as much information between ourselves as we can. What I ma trying to winkle out here is anyone with contacts to other Blongs/Blancs from Portarlington - for example I know some went to the USA

Thanks again for the input and for Ronnies email

Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline mariono

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 August 09 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've been doing a bit of family research and my g grandmother was called Christina la Blanc. She was born in Portarlington c1875. I know that her father's name was William and that he was a butcher, and that she had a brother, also called William, born c 1883.
She married in Castlebar in 1897 to an English soldier. Her brother was also in the army and served during WW1. I know his address abt 1925 was Grouse Lodge, Derry Villa, Portarlington.

Don't know if this may be any connection for you. Have very little other info I'm afraid but I'd love to find out more.....

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 August 09 18:47 BST (UK) »
Mariano

Thanks you for that bit about your ancestors from Portarlington.

The real challenge with the Blongs is to sort them out in the period around 1800. The problem is that they were all butchers, they are even mentioned in Joyce's Ulysees as butchers, and a lot were called William Blong.

You should be able to get your Christina's parents, but it will be more difficult to get her grandparents.
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 November 09 10:47 GMT (UK) »
BLONG, JAMES. Rank: Lance Corporal. Regiment or Service: Connaught Rangers. Unit: 1st Battalion. Age at death; 24. Date of Death:23-November-1914. Service Number; 10338. Born in Mountmellick, Queen's County.  Enlisted in Curragh Camp while living in Portarlington.  Killed in Action. Supplementary Information; Son of James Blong, of Spa Lane, Portarlingdon, Leix. Grave or Memorial Reference: Panel 43. Memorial: Le Touret Memorial in France. Pas de Calais, France.

BLANC, JOHN.  Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Unit; 1st Battalion. Date of Death:14-October-1918. Service No:22754.  Born in Edenderry, King’s County. Enlisted in Bolton while living in Manchester.  Killed in Action. Age at Death;29. Supplementary information; Son of John and Elizabeth Blanc, of 7, Queen St., Hulme, Manchester. Native of Edenderry, Leix. Grave or Memorial Reference: V. D. II. Cemetery: Dadizeele New British Cemetery in Belgium.

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 19:38 GMT (UK) »
So that anyone researching the small number of Blongs.Blangs in Ireland follows various threads, I have put some more on this thread now

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,416477.0.html

which is under Offaly
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 May 10 21:03 BST (UK) »
The Blanc's, butchers, transmitted the business from father to son for more than 150 years, and the names is still recognisable at Portarlington under the name Blong.

Regugees from France threw aside their French names, or rather translated them to english, Le Blace-White.

Old Lea cemetery, Portarlington
Susan Blanc; 1854