Author Topic: certificates online - where?  (Read 4716 times)

Offline nbrome

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
certificates online - where?
« on: Sunday 24 May 09 08:19 BST (UK) »
I'm sure this has been answered somewhere but bear with me!
Could someone tell me where I can order birth certificates online? I'm looking at Galway, Monaghan and Armagh between 1870 and 1900.
I'm confused about Dublin and Roscommon.
Can you do it online or do you have to use a server site, if so which?
Many thanks.

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
Re: certificates online - where?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 May 09 09:31 BST (UK) »
hi,
for the certificates from galway and monaghan you have to go to the gro website,download the form and post it to roscommon;
http://www.groireland.ie/
all payments have to be in euro so you either use your credit card or put a 10euro note in the envelope;either one is not a particularly safe method though.

the armagh cert can be obtained the same as the above or you can order it online from the GRONI website;
http://www.groni.gov.uk/
a far safer method and something the gro in roscommon are planning to do but not just yet!there is a slight difference in the price between the two and a big difference between how long it takes for the cert to arrive;the one from groni takes 2 weeks and the one from roscommon takes much longer. at least with the armagh cert you have a choice of where you get it from.

tony

Offline nbrome

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 May 09 16:23 BST (UK) »
thanks alot, Tony.
I had a look at those sites. The Eire one certainly needs to get its act together! Let's hope it's some time soon. Think about all those Americans doing Irish research.
I live in Italy and there's no way I can get there, at least this year. I'm not going to send credit card details by post either, so it looks impossible for me to get certs.
I suppose this is where those other online services come in. Does anyone have experience with them?

Offline Bhoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 May 09 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

With reference to the GRONI instructions - it mentions that a reduced fee is payable if you can supply full details, including date of registration.  Does anyone here know if the Quarter is sufficient (as shown on the Family Search pilot) or do you have to supply the precise date of registration?

The point is that you may well know the date the event took place, but you're unlikely to know the date of registration unless you already have a copy of the certificate. 

Thanks.

Nbrome - are you asking about the records available from IFHF, UHF and Emerald Ancestors? You get the convenience of an on-line service, but details can be limited (or missing) and you may have to cope with there being more than one record for the item.

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 May 09 17:47 BST (UK) »
Info needed to order a cert is:

Name, Registration district, Registration date - quarter and year, Volume and Page number.

Dara.

Offline mr-aitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 00:23 BST (UK) »
Info needed to order a cert is:

Name, Registration district, Registration date - quarter and year, Volume and Page number.

Dara.

Hi,

That works fine for England and Wales  but I know from personal experience that GRONI's response is "we don't work that way".  Their website at

http://www.groni.gov.uk/certificate-fees

makes it very clear that entry number and date of registration must be supplied for the reduced fee of £6

mr-aitch

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 23:28 BST (UK) »

I know from personal experience that GRONI's response is "we don't work that way". 

Information given above refers to Roscommon. I really cannot understand why anyone would go to GRONI for a pre-1922 cert. Roscommon charges €4 for a research cert.

If, for currency reasons, you apply to GRONI they will accept the details as given above BUT ONLY IF YOU DO NOT TELL THEM YOU GOT THE DETAILS FROM THE LDS SITE.

Hope that clarifies.

Dara.

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 23:53 BST (UK) »
GRONI will supply the same information (in transcription form, if not actual certificate) as the research cert for £6, which isn't that much more than €4 unless you are ordering a lot. 

The reasons people may want to pay that little bit extra are:-

1.  More security of credit card details if you don't have an Euro chequebook.
2.  Get the info much quicker

My experience with GRONI has been much better that mr-aitch's - see my thread on Ordering NI certificates
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,383526.new.html#new

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Akanex

Im just off the phone to GRONI who advised that they do NOT provide a transcription service for £6.

They said they provide either the Search facility for £6 which lists the results of a search, or they can provide a certificate for £6 if you supply the full registration details - vol, page number, entry number.

Liscoole
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone