Author Topic: nothing between 1921 census 1951 census  (Read 1499 times)

Offline jimmijam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
nothing between 1921 census 1951 census
« on: Monday 22 June 09 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I was wondering when the Scottish census for 1911 would come out and so checked up (5 days before the 100 year ruling).

On doing this, I wondered about when future census's (censi?) would come out. I didn't realise that the England and Wales census of 1931 was destroyed and that due to the war, no census was taken in 1941.

So come 2022, we'll have to wait 30 years till the 1951 census is released.

And I thought I was impatient for the 1911...
My email address is not working sorry.
Davidson Whytock Whittet

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: nothing between 1921 census 1951 census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 June 09 09:50 BST (UK) »
Under the National Registration Act, a 'census' was carried out in 1939. Because of the need to introduce rationing, it was necessary to know everybody's name and where they lived. The census was apparently organised in three weeks and carried out in two days, and maintained until 1952. The identity numbers assigned to individuals were used as the basis for National Health Numbers in 1948. The results are stored at the GRO, in Southport and will remain closed until 2040.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 08:55 BST (UK) »
I'm rather more interested in earlier records, because they cover far more people in my tree, which is why I'm hoping that Ancestry spend more time and money bringing the parish records from the LMA onine than the 1911 census.  Having spent a lot of money on the 1911 census, and finding out little that I didn't already know, I'm not really bothered about later censuses, especially since I appear on the 1951 census !

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jimmijam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Stan,
Thanks for that. I did read on a thread or on the net somewhere that there was talk of stopping the census at some stage, the thought being that the BMD were sufficient. Thank goodness they didn't or we would be short of such valuable information for our families!

Hi Nick,
I should be on the 1991 census, but never got a form!

It would be great to see some OPR's on Ancestry, they have them for some of Scotland, but then they pushed the prices up and hey presto, they disappeared out from my basic membership's reach.

Best wishes, Jimmijam
My email address is not working sorry.
Davidson Whytock Whittet