Author Topic: Canadian Relatives  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Catling121

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Canadian Relatives
« on: Tuesday 21 July 09 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi guys,

This is kind of a follow on from my previous post regarding Barnardo's children.  I was wondering if anyone knew of the easiest or standard way of tracing living relatives in Ontario, Canada.  I have had very little luck in finding anything that looks like a definitive index of records online, and I am trying to trace two great great great aunts who emigrated there in 1895, Lilian and Annie Mowbray.

I have been able to find their marriages to a Gore Francis Little and an Alexander Hager, but the websites I have found do not seem to have much Birth Record Information past 1908.  Subsequently I am a bit stuck in finding out if any of these people had children.

Does anyone know the best way to go about this?

Regards,

Chris
Sims - Oxfordshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire, Lincolnshire
Townsend - Oxfordshire
Empson - Oxfordshire
Jackson - Northamptonshire
Mowbray - Herefordshire
Slade - Warwickshire, Middlesex, Devon
Fisher - Warwickshire
Mills - Warwickshire
Catling - Oxfordshire

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Relatives
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Ontario births are not public after 1912 currently, and on the ancestry database they only go up to 1909.  Anything past 1912 you have to order directly from the Province of Ontario.

The 1901 and 1911 Canadian census is available at www.automatedgenealogy.com

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 17:33 BST (UK) »
Here is Lily and Annie arriving on the Labrador in 1898, you can view the original image at Library and Archives Canada

http://www.rootschat.com/links/06qy/

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 20:52 BST (UK) »
Lillian married Gore Frances Little.  His death was Dec 22, 1934.  His occupation was farmer and he fell from the mow of his barn onto the cement driveway below and fractured his skull.  He was 46 and had been at his residence in Harrow, Colchester South Township, Essex County for 23 years.
Informant was wife Mrs. Gore Little.  Buried at Colchester Memorial Cemetery

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cancemet/ON/ONC10700/
Link to Colchester cemetery.  There is also a Lily Little buried there b. 1895 but no death date.
There is also no Louisa Little buried there.  The following link is the 1911 census showing Gore with wife Louisa.  If you look at the actual image and not the transcript it shows she was born in Ontario.  I would think that it's just the enumerator's mistake and this is your Lillian.
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=88997&highlight=2

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 21:26 BST (UK) »
Annie married Alexander Hager Oct 12, 1910 Brant county.
I think this is them on the 1911 census.  Alexander was married before to Melena/Melissa Harvey and had
Elmer born July 19, 1902,
Willard James Alexander born July 5, 1905 - he married Edna Mulligan June 25, 1924 at Brant
Helen born 1907
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=79681&highlight=17&desc=1911+Census+of+Canada+page+containing+Alick%3F+Hager

James Hager born to James Alexander Hager and Annie Mowbray when they were living at Middleport lived only 1 hour.  He was born Feb 8, 1916 at Onondaga Lot S1/2 19.1ETC (?)

Lillian Mildred Hager was born to Alexander Hager and Annie Mowbray on Sept 19 and died Feb 14, 1919 as a result of premature birth.  They were living at RR#2 Caledonia.  buried at Onondaga.

Unfortunately you can only track these births because they resulted in death.  I could see no other loss of children for this couple.

http://www.interment.net/data/canada/ontario/brant/onondaga/onodaga_bapt/ono_bapt.htm
 This link will give you Alexander's death and his burial with his first wife along with his son Elmer.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 21:38 BST (UK) »
http://www.interment.net/data/canada/ontario/brant/brantford/greenwood/green_or.htm
I don't know if this is your Annie remarried.
Under
Rispin, Annie (Hager) b. 1886 d. 1973

This link is to the main page and the person who has compiled the list and just recently updated it in May 2009
http://www.interment.net/data/canada/ontario/brant/brantford/greenwood/index.htm

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hagar, Helen Elizabeth Mowbray  Marriage  Jun 27, 1930  BX, P. 8, Col. 4  Sharp, Stanley Howard (Husband   

This is an entry from the Brantford Public Library Genealogy Search Index of BMDs in the area
http://brantford.library.on.ca/genealogy/bmd.php#search

There is a fee involved but there is an entry for Alexander Hager's death and his son's marriage and also the record of Annie Hager Rispin's death.

It also dawned on me that Alexander's first wife died in 1906 and on the 1911 census Helen was shown as born in 1907.  That must mean that Helen is Annie's natural child and I will look for her birth registration with a new mother's name in the search category.  Couldn't find a birth for her.
This link might be useful.  Helen E. Sharp is buried in Mt. Hope Cemetery.
http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/

Debbie

Offline Catling121

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there Debbie,

I really don't know what to say, you've help an enormous amount!  Thank you very much.  Please forgive my late acknowledgement of your help, I've been on holiday these past two weeks and so have only just read your messages.

Since I am not a worldwide member on Ancestry I can only do a basic search for births in Canada.  If Annie's daughter is named Helen Elizabeth Mowbray Hager, that suggests to me that she was born Helen Elizabeth Mowbray and then had the Hager added on once Annie and Alex got married.  That being the case I have found a birth for an Ellen Elizabeth Mowbray in Huron, ON, but because I'm not a full member that is the only detail I can see - no date, no nothing!

It would be great if you might be able to check it out for me.

Since Lily's death is not filled in on Gore Little's headstone would it be safe to assume that she was buried elsewhere?

Many thanks,

Chris
Sims - Oxfordshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire, Lincolnshire
Townsend - Oxfordshire
Empson - Oxfordshire
Jackson - Northamptonshire
Mowbray - Herefordshire
Slade - Warwickshire, Middlesex, Devon
Fisher - Warwickshire
Mills - Warwickshire
Catling - Oxfordshire

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 18:19 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the birth for Ellen Elizabeth in Huron shows parents of Robert Mowbray and Mary Kydd. 
If you follow up on the Brantford Library link it would be interesting to know if that was her daughter's marriage and if so whether it provides further clues to the present.

I would think that Lily is buried with her husband and the stone was left incomplete but there is always the possibility that she is buried elsewhere.

Debbie