Author Topic: Birth and Family of William White & Anne White (Nee McNeill  (Read 2060 times)

Offline bellbird

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth and Family of William White & Anne White (Nee McNeill
« on: Sunday 26 July 09 05:33 BST (UK) »
Hi folk in Angus,  Some time ago I tried to find the above persons records for their time in Scotland.  Our family in NZ shows William as being a lighterman at Port Chalmers ( then only Port of entry for city of Dunedin) and he dying in Dunedin city in 1871.  His wife Anne died 3 months earlier in 1871 leaving a young family, my grandmother only a baby.  I think I have William arriving in NZ in 1861 unless two Wiliiam White lighterman arrived.  which would have made him 20 years old, I can find no entry for Anne,  family records have her as being born in 1844, which would mean she would be 17 on arrival in NZ.  Our BMD records for 1800s are now available on site but I cannot trace a marriage for them so presume they were married in Scotland.  William shipped out through Glasgow.  Only detail given for William's birth was Forfarshire.  Any help or suggestions where I could look would be much appreciated.     BELLBIRD     

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Birth and Family of William White & Anne White (Nee McNeill
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 July 09 07:49 BST (UK) »
hi bellbird  :)

as nel(cookies4) has already suggested on your post on the fife board do you
have the names of their children
it might help identify possible parents of william white
the children's year of birth might give an indication of when william and anne
were married
looking on the new zealand BMD site it seems that marriages before 1875
are laid out in such a way that you have have to try one name at a time
and try the name in the grooms field as well as the brides field
doing this gave me two results-
anne mcneil 1861/1125
annie mcneil 1865/2508
however these 2 records don't reveal the name of the groom on the index  >:(
as it was not a requirement when the records were scanned
which could be the reason why you can't find their marriage in new zealand

ev

i can't see a marriage for them in scotland
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline bellbird

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 August 09 05:25 BST (UK) »
Ev  Thanks for the marriage info on NZ BMD.  I can't get it to show up here, they say I'm doing it wrong but I am following their instructions they emailed me and still no luck.  Wonder if you could have a go at their records from your space for William White and see if the info ties up with the Anne McNeill you found.  1861 would be a good year for the marriage as they both died in 1871 leaving a young family, my grandmother only 18months I think.  I will also have another go at an email to them and see what happens.  Thanks Lyn  BELLBIRD

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 August 09 14:24 BST (UK) »
http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/Search/Search.aspx?Path=%2fqueryEntry.m%3ftype%3dmarriages#SearchResults

try entering the registration numbers

1861/1125
or
1865/2508

looks like its 26 new zealand dollars to view  :(

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 August 09 23:35 BST (UK) »

1861/1125 - McNEIL - Anne  ... Robert SCOTT

1865/2508 - McNEIL - Annie ...  Henry SPRAKE

[Source:  NZSG Marriages 1836-1956 CD ]

Offline bellbird

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 05:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your previous suggestions re the above.   I have been advised there is a birth recrods for William White in the Parish of Guthrie 10/10/1841, parents Peter and Agnes Samson.  This was on IGI site and person recommended it be proved.    Other ones are 1851 census living with grandparents William Dandle 55 Margaret 55, Janet 28, Ann 23, he being 10.   1841 census William White 45, Jamemah 35, Anne 15, Joseph 15, Elizabeth 10 James, 8, Christina 6, John 3 and William 6 months.  It doesn't look as if the 1841 and 1851 people are connected.  I still can't find his entry into NZ or his marriage to Ann (no E) McNeil (only 1 l)  this later info I got from her signing a birth entry for one of the children at Port Chalmers NZ.  I'm trying to get info from the Early Settlers Museum in Dunedin to see if the Port Company at that time would be likely to have brought in trained/skilled workers in as it is still fairly early days, haven't heard back yet.  Then a large proportion of ships passengers lists state and 321 in steerage, though some do list steerage passenger names.  BELLBIRD