Author Topic: Searching for Clara Atkinson (nee Vandrill), b1891  (Read 3048 times)

Offline lostgreenpast

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for Clara Atkinson (nee Vandrill), b1891
« on: Wednesday 16 September 09 10:35 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to trace back my family into Ireland, particularly because it is of interested to my septuagenarian mother and her interest in tracing her mother and my great grandmother back to Ireland.

It's been difficult going so far, my great grandmother apparently liked to tell stories, (I only remember milk and cookies and how the 2-step ladder in the kitchen seemed so terribly tall at the time!) and there was some scepticism that in fact some details of her past were mis-recollected or perhaps even untruths.

But after overcoming some transcription errors I've found marriage certificates and passenger records in Canada and now with the full Irish 1911 census coming online, I'm happy to see that there is a Clara Vandrill in Cromac, Antrim of the correct age (20) and with the correct profession (dress maker) (she apparently taught everyone including my mother how to sew) and born in the right location (County Tipperary).

So that is one good foot on the other side of the ocean!

Now, I'm trying patiently to await the 1901 census but I am wondering if anyone out there can help me finding any information (particularly birth but really anything) about a Clara Vandrill, born 1891, County Tipperary, Roman Catholic, father Henry, mother Margaret Davis.

Any help is much appreciated.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Clara Atkinson (nee Vandrill), b1891
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 10:50 BST (UK) »
Full Civil registration stared here in 1864 and you can search an index to this at : http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=2;t=searchable;c=1408347

I dont see any Vandrill births around 1891 .. might be worth trying some spelling variations...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline lostgreenpast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 12:04 BST (UK) »

Almost forgot, middle name is Cecilia...

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 16:29 BST (UK) »
No Clara Vandrills but there was an Edward Vandril born in North Tipperary in 1893.

http://tipperarynorth.brsgenealogy.com/quis.php?page=0&prevStartQuery=0

Offline lostgreenpast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 September 09 23:41 BST (UK) »

Thanks for that pointer to the north tip site! It seems like a close hit!

The 5 euro record (I took the chance) list Margaret Davis as his mother.

1. Last name missing one letter (extra L) plus some derivatives (Vandall)
2. His mother's name is exact match Margaret Davis.
3. Location looks good (North Tiperrary)
4. Date range is good (he's 2 years younger)
5. His father is different (Peter Vandall), but the record states Margaret had two other children and at least one to Henry (which matches Margaret's father's first name) but it shows Vandall as his last name as well. There are some transcription errors going on or something.

So Margaret had a child with Henry and that would be her, and Edward was a step brother I guess.

I've got to figure out how to see a copy/scan of original record since the I don't really understand the notes on this transcription very well.

Oh well, at least it's an interesting alley down which to follow.

Offline lostgreenpast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 September 09 02:33 BST (UK) »

Sweet, I've found her birth record now for another 5 Euros... the Edward link really helped.
A lot of dodgy homophones... Vandrill Vandril Vandeil Vandel but that is the best 10 Euros I've ever spent!

The birthday I found on the record is correct (as recollected by two grandchildren) so I'm positive this is it,
Same with the record's fields for father and mothers name and mentions her grandmother (the Cecilia part).

Her birth record gives her name as Mary Cecilia Vandel which has unlocked  all kinds of new search possibilities.

Margaret Davis had 3 children, Clara Cecilia Vandrill (Mary Cecilia Vandel) b.1891, Edward b.1893 and Thomas b.1895. Thomas died in under a year in 1896. Edward joined the British Army in 1911 and married in 1922. Clara got married in Toronto in 1913.

Things are progressing nicely!

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 September 09 10:02 BST (UK) »
I've got to figure out how to see a copy/scan of original record since the I don't really understand the notes on this transcription very well.

Since you have the names and dates just write to the Registrar of births deaths and marriages, Kenyon St, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary. Each certificate costs €10.

There's a marriage record for a Margaret Davis in South Tipperary about that time by the way.

http://tipperarysouth.brsgenealogy.com/quis.php?page=0&prevStartQuery=0

That registrar is at the County Clinic, Western Road, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary.