Author Topic: Alfred Edmund Puxty marraige  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Barbaricbarb

• RootsChat Extra
  • The most interesting detective work there is!
    • View Profile
Alfred Edmund Puxty marraige
« on: Saturday 24 October 09 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I am having difficulties finding a marraige between Alfred Edmund Puxty (born 1883 Flimwell) and a Jane Wilson (I think born about 1880). I have found other Alfred Puxty's but they are not him (I have traced them forwards with their respective families to eliminate them from enquiries). He is also very difficult to find on the 1911 census (no success as yet) although I may have found Jane - thats if she is working as a domestic servant in Bromley at the time and was born in Port Rose, Canarty (sp?) Scotland.
They have a large family starting with Alfred E Puxty in last quarter 1911 in the Sevenoaks area and I have traced their abode from 1921 onwards (Jane in 1919 at a local pub) in Halstead (north of Sevenoaks) in the electors registers upto 1944 when the family were killed through enemy bombing at the consistant address of Lamberhurst Cottages. I cannot locate a marraige on the Scotlands people site either at present so am pretty stuck. I have order the eldest sons birth certificate to try shed more details but am looking for other possible ideas etc.
This family are not just distant cousins but were also living on the site that is now my sons scout hut so want to piece together the history for the group too.

Many thanks

Barbara
Girdlestone (Norfolk), <Warwick> Jones (Surrey; Essex), Anthony (Norfolk/Bucks), Moreton and Wingrove (Bucks), Brown, Hunt, Wilkes, Oakley, Cook & many more (Gloucester/ Worcestershire). Golbey, Puxty, Arnold, jones, Ballard, & many more (Sussex) McGhie (Cumberland to Kent) Weddle (Kent)

Offline Barbaricbarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Edmund Puxty marraige
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Just to update - the eldest son birth certificate I have recieved and this indicates that the family are in Halstead /Shoreham Sevenoaks from October 1911 at least. I have revisited the 1911 census and also had another trawl through the bmd indexes but still no luck.

Would anyone have any ideas re finding a marraige please?
Thanks

Barbara
Girdlestone (Norfolk), <Warwick> Jones (Surrey; Essex), Anthony (Norfolk/Bucks), Moreton and Wingrove (Bucks), Brown, Hunt, Wilkes, Oakley, Cook & many more (Gloucester/ Worcestershire). Golbey, Puxty, Arnold, jones, Ballard, & many more (Sussex) McGhie (Cumberland to Kent) Weddle (Kent)

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.magnaquiestracing.co.nz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 March 12 11:09 GMT (UK) »
I was in St Margaret's Anglican Church in Halstead in November 2010 and photographed a memorial plaque to the PUXTY's.  They were killed by enemy actions on 13 Feb 1944
http://www.flickr.com/photos/porkynz/6955358899/in/set-72157629152251766/

Alfred Edmund aged 60
http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/3116589/PUXTY,%20ALFRED%20EDMUND

Jane  aged 54
http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/3116592/PUXTY,%20JANE

[son] George aged 15
http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/3116591/PUXTY,%20GEORGE%20THOMAS

[dau] Dorothy aged 12
http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/3116590/PUXTY,%20DOROTHY%20ROSE

Norah Ann aged 5
http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/3116593/PUXTY,%20NORAH%20ANN

All of Lamberhurst Cottages, Halstead. Died at Lamberhurst Cottages.

St Margaret's is probably where they worshipped.  There are photos of the church in the same photostream listed in the first link above

Cheers
Sarndra
ARBUCKLE; BAILEY; BLACKADDER; BURNS; DARBON/DARBEN; DAVIDSON; ERSKINE; EVANS; GUEST; HANNAH; HAMILTON; HAND; HOLDER; JOHNSTON; KENNEDY; KITCHENER; LAVERIE; LAWSON; LEES;  LEESE; LOAN; LODGE; MACE; MCCOOK; MCGUIRE; MCKAI/MCKAY; MCLEES; PAWSON; RUSS; STEVENSON; TOUGH; VALE; WERT; WHEELER; WORT;

Offline Barbaricbarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 March 12 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sarndra
I goto the church each Remembrance Sunday and am familiar with the plaque. I have also located the family headstone in the church yard.
I have also a copy of a picture of the destroyed cottages.
Still no luck with the marriage though although I haven't looked for a while

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.magnaquiestracing.co.nz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 March 12 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sarndra
I goto the church each Remembrance Sunday and am familiar with the plaque. I have also located the family headstone in the church yard.
I have also a copy of a picture of the destroyed cottages.
Still no luck with the marriage though although I haven't looked for a while

Oh lovely :)
Sorry i couldn't be of more help!
My Uncle's family are from Halstead [JARVIS married in to SALT] and for many years in the 1800's-1900's owned the post office.

All the best in your hunt!

Cheers
ARBUCKLE; BAILEY; BLACKADDER; BURNS; DARBON/DARBEN; DAVIDSON; ERSKINE; EVANS; GUEST; HANNAH; HAMILTON; HAND; HOLDER; JOHNSTON; KENNEDY; KITCHENER; LAVERIE; LAWSON; LEES;  LEESE; LOAN; LODGE; MACE; MCCOOK; MCGUIRE; MCKAI/MCKAY; MCLEES; PAWSON; RUSS; STEVENSON; TOUGH; VALE; WERT; WHEELER; WORT;

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 March 12 18:19 GMT (UK) »
What was Alfred's occupation on his son's birth certificate?
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk