Author Topic: McCarroll - Gaffigan Marriage, 1912  (Read 889 times)

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCarroll - Gaffigan Marriage, 1912
« on: Monday 02 November 09 21:22 GMT (UK) »
It appears that possibly (we are still looking for confirmation) my grandmother, Ms. Agnes Bridget Gaffigan, arrived from America on the ship "Celtic" sometime around 26 July 1912 in Queenstown (Cobh).  This Agnes Gaffigan was a "spinster" at full age (23), and if my grandmother was born in San Francisco, California.  Her listed occupation was "...grapher," possibly stenographer.

If this was my grandmother, she next appeared at Dundalk, County Louth, to be married to Michael Joseph McCarroll, who was situated at Beragh, County Tyrone, and was listed as a merchant.  The marriage took place three days after arrival at Queenstown, on 29 July 1912.

If this is my grandmother, how did she get to Dundalk - if anyone can answer that question.  What possible ways were there: train, tram or by boat.  And did she travel alone or with someone, such as Michael McCarroll (or Michael Carroll as he was known and received his citizenship in America).  Mickey had arrived sometime around then from America and we have no idea of when.

Could anyone tell me where this trek started from: Philadelphia or New York?  We shall be trying to find out how she got cross America.
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.