Author Topic: Do Any Galway Parishes extend into County Mayo?  (Read 5500 times)

Offline danadavkins

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Do Any Galway Parishes extend into County Mayo?
« on: Tuesday 12 January 10 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Do any of Galway's parishes or registration districts extend into County Mayo? I ask because some of my ancestors in the north lived in Antrim but their registration district was in County Derry(Londonderry) and I think there's a county in the south that shares a parish with another county.  The older members of our McCue(McHugh) family always thought the McCues were from County Mayo but now we find records that state Galway as place of birth. Is it possible that they were born in Galway as stated on their US legal papers but registered or baptized in County Mayo? 

Offline Coolcam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Do Any Galway Parishes extend into County Mayo?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 January 10 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Several Co Galway townlands were transferred to Mayo as a result of the Local Government (Ireland) Act 1898.

BARNAHOWNA, CHURCHFIELD LOWER, CHURCHFIELD UPPER, DIRKBEG,
GARRANAGERRA, GORTMORE, GREENAUN, KILLATEEAUN, LETTEREENEEN,
TONAGLANNA, TREAN, CAPPANACREHA, CUMMER, DERRY, DERRYPARK,
DOOLETTER, FINNY, GLENBEG EAST, GLENBEG WEST, KILBRIDE, KILMORE,
LUSTEEN BEG, LUSTEEN BEG ROCKS, LUSTEEN MORE, MAUMTRASNA, RAM'S ISLAND, ROUND ISLAND, SHANVALLYCAHILL

There may be other instances.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 January 10 22:58 GMT (UK) »
There a link in MAYO RESOURCES which might be of interest:
www.leitrim-roscommon.com/transferred_towns.html broken link
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline danadavkins

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 January 10 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your responses regarding the changing of parishes from Galway to Mayo or Roscommon. I'm assuming that because I'm researching Galway births in the 1860s, 1870s that my source would likely be County Galway.   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 January 10 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Remember that civil registrations districts may cover areas in 2 counties.
To give you an example from my area, the town of Kilrea is in Co. Londonderry on the west bank of the River Bann and across the river is Rasharkin, Ballymoney, etc. However, for registration purposes Kilrea is under the Ballymoney, Co. Antrim district.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 February 10 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Cong is probably worth a look. My g grandfather always put Counties Mayo/Galway as his birth place.

jacqui
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
Storey Kendal/Eccles. Ryan County Galway Ireland.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline galwayreader

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 June 10 23:42 BST (UK) »
Yes some Galway parishes do. One is Milltown/ Ballyglass with1/6 of parish in Mayo in 2 different places. One place is close to Ballindine where McHugh families live.

Offline ballyheeragh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 14:14 BST (UK) »
Some of the earlier posts mentioned reasons for a Galway/Mayo overlap - eg Ballyglass is a half parish of Milltown, but a lot of those people who belong to the Ballyglass side of the parish are living in Co Mayo while a relatively small number (if any) live the Galway side of the border. 

Another anomaly that you might need to account for is that sometimes people living on the border between two counties have a POSTAL address for the neighbouring county (and not the county that they RESIDE in)....for example there are a pocket of houses in the Ballyheeragh/Foxhall/Cloghans Hill area on the South Mayo/North Galway border area that are actually located in Co MAYO, but are linked to TUAM Post Office for postal address purposes,  so therefore one might conclude that people are from Galway when in fact they are from Co Mayo.  This situation also arises in the border areas between Mayo/Roscommon/Galway around the Cloonfad/Ballinlough/Williamstown areas - and I'm sure it happens elsewhere in the country as well.

Another trend that might need to be noted is that there is a certain amount of Galway/Mayo overlap for burial purposes .... again using Ballyheeragh (Co Mayo as an example), a lot of people from Ballyheeragh are buried in Kilconly (just accross the border in Galway), others are buried in Ballyglass ..... I'm not sure how many people from Ballyheeragh are buried in Roundfort (know as Kilcommon & Robeen in the official records up until recent times) graveyard(the parish that Ballyheeragh) belongs to. 

Therefore, its safer not to confine yourself to just one side of the Galway/Mayo border.....there are plenty of McHughs on both sides.