Author Topic: Pre 1927 Adoption  (Read 1990 times)

Offline canberra100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pre 1927 Adoption
« on: Sunday 17 January 10 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for help regarding a pre 1927 adoption, is this the best forum to start my thread. I can't see it elsewhere ( I may well have missed it).

Many Thanks
Peter

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 1927 Adoption
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 January 10 14:18 GMT (UK) »

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 January 10 14:46 GMT (UK) »
As you are presumably already aware prior to 1927 there was no register of adoptions.  If there was any formal documentation it would have been a deed drawn up between the original parent(s) and the adoptive parents.  In many cases there was no documentation.

If any deed has not been passed down through the family the only hope that you have is that a solicitor was involved and that his papers have been archived in the local record office.  It might just be worth searching for the name involved at:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/

It might also be worth looking at:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/

David

Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline canberra100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 10 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your posts. Unfortunately I have nobody to ask the circumstances of my father's adoption back in 1922. I was hoping that perhaps Barnardos or the Salvation Army may keep records, they are the only ones that spring to mind. My question was only going to be............ How did the adoption system work prior to 1927 and would records be kept. I fully appreciate that it was very much an informal system as I understand it.

Kind Regards
Peter