Author Topic: Marriage William Frederick Hannaford COMPLETED WITH THANKS  (Read 3270 times)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Marriage William Frederick Hannaford COMPLETED WITH THANKS
« on: Tuesday 09 February 10 21:11 GMT (UK) »
I should be most grateful if someone could look up the full details of the marriage of William Frederick Hannaford and Lillian Maud Draper.  Waterloo County.

This is listed in Ontario Canada Marriages 1857-1926.  I have A....... UK but not CA so can't get more than the names and county.

I am hopeful that he might be a boy that I have been unable to trace after the 1901 UK Census, born 1900 Plymouth, England.  If so it looks as though he arrived in Canada in September 1907 with a party from Barnados.  If a father's name is mentioned it will go a long way to proving that he is the one I seek.

Thanks in advance.

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trillium62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage William Frederick Hannaford
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 21:41 GMT (UK) »
How's this?

Name:  William Frederick Hannaford
Birth Place: Plymouth England
Estimated birth year: abt 1901
Father Name: Hannaford
Spouse Name: Lillian Maud Draper
Spouse's Age: 19
Spouse Estimated Birth Year: abt 1905
Spouse Birth Place: Burk's Falls Ont
Spouse Father Name: George Draper
Spouse Mother Name: Elizabeth Mand Coulter
Marriage Date: 15 Jul 1924
Marriage Place: Waterloo
Marriage County: Waterloo
Registration district: Waterloo
Family History Library Microfilm: VRMCAN1923_102614
England: Noller, Benham, Newson, Ling, Sunley, Hampson, Allport
Ireland: Johnston, Bamford, Craig, McQuoid
Scotland: Anderson
Canada and the U.S.:  All of the above!

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage William Frederick Hannaford
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trillium62,

Very many thanks and so quick!

Sad that he obviously didn't know his parents given names but age and place of birth are right so looks very good.

I am very grateful for this information.

Selina

Offline Trillium62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage William Frederick Hannaford COMPLETED WITH THANKS
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Glad to be of help. 

This came up in another search of Wellington marriages:

020282-24 (Waterloo Co) William Frederick HANNAFORD, 23, laborer, Plymouth England, 59 Krug St. Kitchener, s/o (blank) HANNAFORD (not known only England) & (mother's name not known, groom raised by others) married Lillian Maud DRAPER, 19, shirt worker, Burks Falls, 59 Krug St. Kitchener, d/o George DRAPER (b. City of Liege Yorkshire England) & Elizabeth Maud COULTER, witn: Earl & Mabel DRAPER of 59 Krug St., 15 July 1924 in Kitchener
England: Noller, Benham, Newson, Ling, Sunley, Hampson, Allport
Ireland: Johnston, Bamford, Craig, McQuoid
Scotland: Anderson
Canada and the U.S.:  All of the above!

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again.   "Groom raised by others" fits him being a Barnado's boy.

I think he may have been about 6 when his father died and possibly put into a home then although I think his mother may still have been alive.  Perhaps at six your parents forenames would not be fixed in your mind and he forgot them.

I hope he had a happy life in Canada.

Best wishes,

Selina

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Frederick Hannaford COMPLETED WITH THANKS
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 21:22 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if anyone ever found William in the 1911 census...but even though completed, I do like to continue to find information on the BHC...This may be the boy age 10 in Mulmur Dufferin as "Handford" living with the Lockhart family, Matthew & Ellen. It says 1910 for year of immigration but whomever gave the enumerator the information may not have known the true date...How does the birth month of Oct. match up?
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=91858&highlight=11
Unfortunately the alternate spellings covered a lot but for some reason not that one... :P 
J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi JJ

Thank you for your interest.

The link below shows the William Frederick Hannaford I believe to be the one I am interested in (number 44 and there is an alternative spelling given for this one), he is shown as Frederick on the census but that is how he was known at home and it was looking for a Frederick in the UK that held me up for a while.   His father had been married several times and had an earlier son named William!   I have his birth certificate now and so know that he was William Frederick and he was listed as William Frederick when he left England in 1907.

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1911/pdf/e002003422.pdf

I have now made contact with his grandaughter (in Canada) as it appears that after several stillbirths, 3 or 4 children survived, two of which are still living.  However progress is a bit slow and I have very few details so far but still hoping to get more, as one does! 

He died quite young, in his early 40's and I would like to know if his life was happy and if he ever wondered about his family in England.  Nobody ever seems to have made an attempt to find them.  I would also like to know if he told his children anything about his early life which would absolutely confirm everything.

I was also in contact with a very nice person who had listed him on her Ancestry tree purely because he was on the same farm with her relative who was also an home child and she thought that was a way of keeping W.F.H. remembered.

Selina