Author Topic: NIAGARA FALLS-US BORDER CROSSING  (Read 5095 times)

Offline sidneybc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NIAGARA FALLS-US BORDER CROSSING
« on: Tuesday 23 March 10 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Would someone kindly check for a border crossing record for HORDES(HORACE) T GEORGE FARROW from Niagara to the US approximately 1928-1938.

Horace was born in England in 1901 and came to Ontario Canada as a 'home boy' with his brother about 1907-1914.

Many thanks for any assistance.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NIAGARA FALLS-US BORDER CROSSING
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Horace T. George Farrow age 23, Elec. Furnace Operator, 5'7", race Irish, b. Kent England, wife Ethel E. 100 Maple St. Niagara Falls, Ont., going to Niagara Falls, N.Y. to seek employment, came to Canada on the Corinthian Oct 5, 1911 landing at Quebec. Border crossing March 3, 1925 at Niagara Falls.

His marriage record 9 Sept 1922 at Toronto, Ontario gives a slightly different age.  He is shown as born England, 31 (1891), labourer, s/o Richard Farrow and Edith Collins, living Eversleigh(not sure if this is spelled correctly) at time of marriage.  Full name Horace Terence George
married
Ethel Evelyn Hope, 19, b. Ontario, d/o Wm A. Hope and Amanda J. Pearson

There is a border crossing for Ethel Evelyn Farrow Sept 19, 1927 at Niagara.  Age 24, b. King, Ontario, factory worker, last living Exersley, going to Niagara Falls, N.Y. to find work - contact Mrs. Smith 26 St., Father Wm Hope, Exersley Canadian contact, back of form indicates she had worked at ?? until March 1927.  Deserted by husband George 2 years ago, whereabouts unknown.  Has son Alfred, age 4.

Debbie

Offline sidneybc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
*Completed*Re: NIAGARA FALLS-US BORDER CROSSING
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Debbie for the in depth record. I will have to check this Horace out further, but how many people have the same three forenames and surname?

At present I am trying to find out when he and his brother arrived in Canada. Their mother died when Horace was five and his brother died as a volunteer for the 1914-1918 war.

Thanks again. 

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Of Ethel Evelyn Farrow, of Niagara Falls, Ontario; praying for the
passage of an Act to dissolve her marriage with Horace T. G. Farrow.
from this site http://www.archive.org/stream/JSCe66_1929app_uoft/JSCe66_1929app_uoft_djvu.txt

From collectionscanada
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/divorce/001070-110.01-e.php?PHPSESSID=cpli3m62nqvj7gpad71qv0t8a0&q1=ethel+evelyn+hope&interval=20

collections canada also has a ships database (not indexed by passenger name) and I didn't see Farrow on the Corinthian in 1911 and he doesn't appear in their Home Children database
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/lac-bac/search-recherche/anc.php?Language=eng

Debbie

Offline sidneybc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Boy are you fast! I was just about to check out the Corinthian for 1911. Horace appears to favour the name George but for official things I expect he would have to use Horace etc. I am hoping he travelled initially with his brother
Harold Henry.

Thanks again.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 03:43 GMT (UK) »
What was his brother's name.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 04:27 GMT (UK) »
The only Horace I could find on the Corinthian which arrived 6 Oct 1911 was a Horace Collins. Horace was 10 and the next entry was for Hugh C. Collins who was 8. Collins does match the name he listed for his mother on his marriage registration. Here's a link to the passenger list at Library and Archives Canada (they are about in the middle of the page):
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e143/e003574593.jpg

The only marriage I could find that might be for Hugh was a Hugh Charles Collins who married Vera Irene Pepworth in Toronto on 6 Jul 1925 but his parents are listed as John Collins and Alice Milligan.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 04:37 GMT (UK) »
SidneyBC sent me a PM with the information that Horace travelled under his mother's maiden name of Collins so you were correct Jacquie in your assumptions.  The brother, Harold, also travelled under the maiden name and arrived in 1907.  I wouldn't have thought to look for a match with the Christian name!

Debbie

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Not what you were looking for but thought you might be interested anyway.

www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef
Harold Henry Farrow
Regimental Number 814493
You can view his attestation papers and also order his complete military file through the above site. It lists his brother George as his Next of Kin.

www.canadiangreatwarproject.com/searches/soldierDetail.asp?ID=36552

Harold was part of the 4th Battalion and died October 1, 1918 and is buried Sancourt British Cemetery, France.