Author Topic: can anyone find a birth record for Charles Moore?  (Read 2382 times)

Offline silverienz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
can anyone find a birth record for Charles Moore?
« on: Monday 24 May 10 11:51 BST (UK) »
he's believed to be born in Troon, Scotland or possibly Shetland Islands. Full name: Charles Henry Moore died in new zealand 1845 at 82 yrs old. Parent's believed to be William Henry Moore & Alice Mary Moore nee Mckenzie.
I also have an alternative death date: 1939 at 82 yrs old, but most likely the first one.
Also he married in 1892 in NZ, but was known to be in NZ in 1882
Any info on Charles or his parents greatly appreciated.

Offline myfamilyang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: can anyone find a birth record for Charles Moore?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 May 10 20:50 BST (UK) »
If you log onto scotlandspeople  where you can access Scottish censuses and other references, you will find 1 "hit" when you put CHARLES MOORE in with another name ALICE, although I tried SHETLANDS and TROON, and didn't get anywhere, but if you input in NO countys and NO districts there is only 1 result for the 1871 census. So, you can do the same for the birth hopefuly. CHARLES would be about 8 then. Try the census first then you have the area they came from to look at the birth. I haven't got any credits left otherwise I would have looked for you, but you can buy them from them easily.
Regards,
Angela

Offline silverienz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 May 10 23:37 BST (UK) »
Thanx for that, i will try and get some credits, so i can have a look.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Silverie

Was the 1845 death year meant to be 1945? So, we would be talking of a birth year between circa 1857-63?

IGI on www.familysearch.org is very good for Scottish entries for this period (entries tail off around 1874ish when the Mormons stopped loading on data).  I cannot see any use of the middle name Henry for births of Charles Moore for this period. IGI is good at picking up on spelling variations of Moore (also worth trying for Muir which brings up other entries).

Unfortunately, I cannot see any entries with the potential parents' names that you mention  :-\ Have these come from Charles' registrations in NZ?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline silverienz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 11:41 BST (UK) »
yes sorry death year should be 1939-1945. I don't actually have any documents to support who his parents were, only what I have read on One World Family Tree.  I also did read that the Name may have once been O'Moore .... I guess the best way to find out for sure would be to get his marriage or death cert?

Offline silverienz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 12:02 BST (UK) »
would it help much to know that Charles was listed as a Master Mariner & Apparently accompanied his father on pilot boats guiding ships into Troon, Scotland.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Silverie

I would imagine if you have to chose between certs, I would probably go for the marriage cert as this would be information that Charles himself would have given. Sometimes by the time people pass away at a good age and informants are unsure, there can be gaps of knowledge or errors creeping in to the reporting.

I have looked at a few trees on Ancestry (not the One World Family) for Charles and all seem to have no information for his parents or any further sources or leads on his origins unfortunately.

Why do you think he was Scottish? It is just that with the mention of O'Moore as a variant, I immediately think Ireland! This together with the fact that I can't see anything obvious for him with parents with the names you have on either IGI or the Scottish censuses again may point to perhaps Irish origins....hard to say though at this stage  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline silverienz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 03:05 BST (UK) »
Thanx, i think i will get a print out of his marriage cert, hopefully he put lost of info about his parents on it! :-) I will keep in mind that he could be Irish too, maybe i am searching in the wrong country!

Offline silverienz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 08:30 BST (UK) »
well i have received Charles marriage cert, it says he's from Irwsn, Scotland. I'm guessing that's Irvine? he's listed as Marine Engineer and age 30 in 1892, although family members seem to think he lied and was actually 40. i did have his parents names right - William Henry Moore & Alice Mary Mckenzie.
Is there anywhere else i can look?, as i have had no luck finding any of these people :-/