Author Topic: Looking for BURTON  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Glenda1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for BURTON
« on: Wednesday 02 June 10 05:15 BST (UK) »
Not quite certain if I am in the right place, but thought I would start with how to use RootsChat.  So hopefully someone can help me.  I am looking for the family name of Burton, I think originally from Ireland, but then perhaps Plymouth England.  George Montague Burton is the person I am searching for info on.  I believe his birth date is approx 1842, although I don't think that is right, but I cannot find a birth certificate anywhere.  He married twice, once in "1851" and then in Australia in 1869 to Eliza Harrington (nee Daly)
GEORGE Montague Burton
B- 1842, DUBLIN
D- 1492/1905 ESSENDON (Aged 63 Years)
Parents listed as George Howe Burton & Mary Steel
M- 4024/1869 VICTORIA to Eliza Harrington

ELIZA Harrington, NEE - DALEY/DALY (Spelt either way)
B- CORK
D-
M-
1. 28111X189/1858 to John Harrington
I would be grateful for some help.
Burton, Daly, Kearney, Kenny, Puttick, Toomey

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for BURTON
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Glenda1,
welcome to rootschat.
No worries about posting in the correct place.
I recon if the moderator moves this post into the page for Australia then it maybe possible to find info when he sailed to Australia.
regards,Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Glenda

Can you clarify a few dates- you say he was born abt 1842 and married for the first time in 1851  :o
Hmmm a bit young  ;)

I presume you have the Aussie 1869 marr cert does that say he was a widower then?

Carol

Added I see from your posting on http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,459787.msg3206460.html#msg3206460 that he was married in Oz in 1865?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Glenda1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 June 10 06:11 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of George Montague Burton and Eliza Harrington's marriage certificate where it states that George was a widower March 1867 and Eliza a widow January 1868.  Also on this marriage certificate it lists George's parents as Alfred Leopold Burton and Mary Ann Barnam (not sure of spelling could be Barnow) and Eliza's parents as John Daly and Catherine Kearney.  George and Eliza were married 29/10/1869 in Elsternwick, Victoria, Australia.  I also have a copy of a birth certificate of one of the children "Henry Leopole" b:19/3/1872 in Brighton, Victoria, Australia, where it notes that George Montague Burton (Painter aged 53yrs) was born in Plymouth, Devonshire, England and his first marriage being 10th April, 1851 at Plymouth, Devonshire, England.  A list of offspring also listed, Charles, George Montague, Alfred Leopold, Charlotte, Albertina (Albertind) all deceased.  Eliza Burton was listed as being formerly Mrs Harrington, maiden name Daly aged 34 and born in Mala, Co. Cork, Ireland.
I cannot find an Alfred Leopold Burton anywhere. ::)  Or George.
This is about all I have.
Thank you,
Glenda ::)
Burton, Daly, Kearney, Kenny, Puttick, Toomey

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 June 10 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Glenda

If he married for the first time in 1851- then he had to have been born around 1831 or before.That is before civil registration (1837) so all you will get is a record of his baptism(if he was baptised of course!)

If he does appear on the UK census of 1841 he certainly will not have been listed with his middle name,so looking for a George Burton may be difficult as there will be lots.

I'll look later.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk